What is so good about G1?

prime_time

I wouldn't go THAT far, but I would at least say

Classics Starscream = MP Starscream.

At least I don't feel like I'm going to break Classics SS when I transformer him. Or "OH FCUK! I just chipped the paint!!!!"

I'd settle for =

For me, I buy them as toys first and display pieces second. With MP/Alt/BTs I feel like they're display pieces first and toys second. Which is fine for some people.

For me though, play value is still a major factor.

LM, if you don't mind me asking, if Classics didn't do it for you as an adult collector, then what makes you think Animated will?

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay so if they did G1 Seasons 1 and 2 with the characters updated to their Alternator/MP forms done to CGI (or even toon) with the stories and lines being exactly the same, would it be a run away hit?

Yes I know not all characters have Alternator forms but they could...

I think this is why classics are so great they take whats great about G1 and dump the crap. (If they added a few metal parts in there and a little chrome they'd be perfect! and yeah titaniums are metal but they're too metal they're like floppy metal marionettes)

Honestly, I think that the (good) Alternators/Binaltech and MP figures are much more successful at making G1 what we've always imagined it to be. The Classics are what G1 toys would be like if they'd been made now -- plastic and pop-off joints and all -- but they don't really do it for me as an adult collector. Although I do really like the Prime mold.

OK Ill give you that... the perfect line would be as cool as alternators as easy to transform as classics and with some chrome and metal bits like Titaniums.

But somehow I'd probably still find something to complain about... I think...

I'd say Classics Prime > MP Prime, but I'd have to disagree on Screamer.

At least, in reference to Hasbro's Walscream. Walscream's definitely in my top 3 favorite Transformers of all time.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Classics Seeker mold is fantastic, but I also think the MP Seeker mold, when done right, is also fantastic. The jet mode is more detailed and laden with features than I could ever expect (realistic landing gear is nice, but opening cockpit? Flaps and vents? Hell, an opening radome? Hardpoint for attaching Megs?). And I feel like it's sturdy enough for play and posing. I mean hell, pieces don't fall off and it's not like I play like a 6 year old, smashing figures into each other.

My only complaint is Screamer has trouble holding Megs during play. But at least he can hold a Megs, unlike Classics Screamer.

LM, if you don't mind me asking, if Classics didn't do it for you as an adult collector, then what makes you think Animated will?

Well, I'm not sure if I'm going to buy any Animated toys to begin with... but that aside, I think they're trying to do two different things with these lines. The Classics are trying to be relatively realistic little plastic toys, and that works to a point. But really, you can't get past the plastic toy-ness of them. With the Animated toys, they're based on some very cartoony designs to begin with, so the design and general aesthetic of those toys work with each other instead of against each other. Like, there'd be no point in making a "Masterpiece Animated Prime" because it's not a real-world design; it's a cartoon design.

Well, I'm not sure if I'm going to buy any Animated toys to begin with... but that aside, I think they're trying to do two different things with these lines. The Classics are trying to be relatively realistic little plastic toys, and that works to a point. But really, you can't get past the plastic toy-ness of them. With the Animated toys, they're based on some very cartoony designs to begin with, so the design and general aesthetic of those toys work with each other instead of against each other. Like, there'd be no point in making a "Masterpiece Animated Prime" because it's not a real-world design; it's a cartoon design.

Ah, gotcha. Very good point.

For me, I buy them as toys first and display pieces second. With MP/Alt/BTs I feel like they're display pieces first and toys second. Which is fine for some people.

And for me the opposite is true, which begs the question, how many people here actually "play" with their toys?

AND... here's the kicker...

How, exactly, does a grown up play with ones toys? I'm not going to judge anyone, but I'm asking because I know a lot of people IRL who collect toys but none who actually play with them. I can't even imagine what one would do, outside of transforming them and rolling them around a little bit. And if that's the case, what can Classics do that Alts cannot?

And for me the opposite is true, which begs the question, how many people here actually "play" with their toys?

AND... here's the kicker...

How, exactly, does a grown up play with ones toys? I'm not going to judge anyone, but I'm asking because I know a lot of people IRL who collect toys but none who actually play with them. I can't even imagine what one would do, outside of transforming them and rolling them around a little bit. And if that's the case, what can Classics do that Alts cannot?

For me, it's very simple.

I don't just collect TFers, put them on a shelf, and never touch them again, only to move them if I have to re-arrange the collection.

I take them down, I transform them, role them around on the table a couple times, stuff like that. Do I "role play" like a kid would? No.

I, however, find that the mainstream stuff is just more fun. I can transform Classics Starscream ten times a day and not worry. I can maybe transform MP 'Screamer once or twice, and each time I'm worrying about chipping the paint, causing stress marks on the plastic, stuff like that. Same goes for alts.

Furthermore, as far as "playing" goes, I do have younger cousins who still play with toys. They like to play with my TFs when they come over. While I don't have any problem letting them play with Classics Starscream, I would never let them touch MP 'Screamer.

In the end, I guess it boils down to this; I'm into this hobby to collect toys, not display pieces that resemble toys.

So nobody else runs around the living room with a Transformer in each hand making 'pew pew' noises?

:mwahaha

Well...no...not anymore. Sigh.

The truth is that I have a display case which I change the contents of every so often. There are just too many to display at once without taking over the house.

If I ever play with a TF toy, it's kind of like a Rubik's Cube kind of thing where I'll sit at my desk and fap fiddle around with it for a while. And in that case, yeah it is a pain in the ass to have to deal with the frustrations of Alts/BTs/MPs. But those are display pieces, so, you know... right tool for the right job and all.

In an ideal world I'd have a humungo shelf full of Pain In The Ass display stuff, and a toy box full of Play Around With When I Feel Like It stuff. Unfortunately, I have kids and not-wealth.

Archived