What is so good about G1?

prime_time

Searching through Takara's design patents, there were actually a couple of vehicles and alt modes that were "futuristic" in the base toylines that they used. Apparently, they either scrapped them or held off on some (which later became a couple of the Technobots, I think) while they used all the altmodes that looked something like contemporary vehicles of the time. So I think they did make a conscious decision to do that.

On the other hand, I rather liked those few Cybertronian alt modes that they used in the MTMTE pilot. For me, I think it's largely based on how much I'm persuaded that something is "in the continuity I like".

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Scramble City sub-line, i.e.: Scramble Gestalts and the cities were abandoned designs for Diaclone which were resurrected for Transformers [Ono; 2001].

On the other hand, I rather liked those few Cybertronian alt modes that they used in the MTMTE pilot. For me, I think it's largely based on how much I'm persuaded that something is "in the continuity I like".

Mind you, these designs were never seen in the G1 toy line. Even War Within Transformers were only sold through the Titanium Series (as opposed to a "main line" series) - but we did get some designs that have been influenced by War Within, like Cybertron Optimus Prime/Galaxy Convoy and CYB/GF Starscream.

I wonder if Transformers had started with the WTF/Cybertronian/futuristic alt modes, if the line would have been as popular. I mean, by the time Hot Rod and Kup and Blurr and those guys showed up, we were already sucked in.

That's true - G1 was at the height of its popularity when they decided to shift towards more fantasy based alt modes. So I would agree with your hypothesis. :)

I totally agree that the realistic alt modes are what keep Transformers alive. I mean, yeah it's cool to have a robot turn into just about anything, but it's far more impressive and exciting when we're familiar with the alt mode and therefore have a basis of comparison. I wonder what kind of sales each line achieved. It would be interesting to see if the numbers backed up one type of alt mode popularity over another.

I wonder if Transformers had started with the WTF/Cybertronian/futuristic alt modes, if the line would have been as popular. I mean, by the time Hot Rod and Kup and Blurr and those guys showed up, we were already sucked in.

I can tell you this, the moment the "futuristic" designs became prevalent in the G1 series is the moment I was no longer interested in Transformers. I had to wait until Beast Wars to get back in.

I definitely think that the more realistic designs of the earlier figures helped the line. I mean, what 8-year old boy didn't play with a micro-cassette recorder and thing "Damn, man! I wish this thing turned into a 20 foot tall robot, yo!"

Honestly, though

Datsun Fairlady Z>>>>>>>>Futuristic Winnebago

any day. every day.

I can tell you this, the moment the "futuristic" designs became prevalent in the G1 series is the moment I was no longer interested in Transformers. I had to wait until Beast Wars to get back in.

I definitely think that the more realistic designs of the earlier figures helped the line. I mean, what 8-year old boy didn't play with a micro-cassette recorder and thing "Damn, man! I wish this thing turned into a 20 foot tall robot, yo!"

Honestly, though

Datsun Fairlady Z>>>>>>>>Futuristic Winnebago

any day. every day.

The hype and excitement surrounding TF:TM totally sucked me in -- I became convinced that Transformers was the best thing ever in 1986. Prior to that point, it hadn't *really* been that distinguishable from Go-Bots or any other sort of Generic Transforming Robots. Speaking primarily of the toys, I mean. To me, Transformers came into its own at that point. Of course, from another perspective Transformers jumped the shark at that point, but I was waaaay into Rodimus Prime And Pals.

But I missed out on the first year of Transformers, and never even saw the first season until I was able to rent (and copy) the episodes from the local Erol's. So my connection to Optimus Prime and Megatron and Jazz and Skywarp and all those old dudes was less than what it otherwise could have been. (Not that finally seeing "More Than Meets The Eye" wasn't like unearthing the Holy Grail for me.)

Well, just to clarify my POV. I didn't catch the first season much, either. Or the second or third seasons because I didn't have cable in my house. (Neither did anyone else within about 40 miles, We lived waaaaaaay out in BFE.) I've seen TFTM more than any other G1 animated media and read very few comics.

I was ALL about the toys (although I didn't have very many.) The Hot Rods and Kups and Scourges of later waves just didn't appeal to me (although I kinda wish I had a G1 Cyclonus now, I do dig his alt mode.)

Every now and then I managed to finagle my way over to a friend's house after school and watch TF and GI Joe, both of which I thought were freaking awesome to me at the time.

The stories sucked (except the movie that was awesome) but the designs and characters were simple and Iconic timeless even. well except for the outdated car models but even that is pretty forgivable these days.

The toys hold mostly Nostalgia, the toys themselves other than having lots of chrome and metal really weren't that great.

I think this is why classics are so great they take whats great about G1 and dump the crap. (If they added a few metal parts in there and a little chrome they'd be perfect! and yeah titaniums are metal but they're too metal they're like floppy metal marionettes)

If they made a toon using the classic characters, a traditional art style, no goofy comic relief, little or no emphasis on people, and well written stories it would measure up to the megalithic "G1" nostalgia has built up in our minds.

The stories sucked (except the movie that was awesome) but the designs and characters were simple and Iconic timeless even. well except for the outdated car models but even that is pretty forgivable these days.

The toys hold mostly Nostalgia, the toys themselves other than having lots of chrome and metal really weren't that great.

I think this is why classics are so great they take whats great about G1 and dump the crap. (If they added a few metal parts in there and a little chrome they'd be perfect! and yeah titaniums are metal but they're too metal they're like floppy metal marionettes)

If they made a toon using the classic characters, a traditional art style, no goofy comic relief, little or no emphasis on people, and well written stories it would measure up to the megalithic "G1" nostalgia has built up in our minds.

Honestly, I think that the (good) Alternators/Binaltech and MP figures are much more successful at making G1 what we've always imagined it to be. The Classics are what G1 toys would be like if they'd been made now -- plastic and pop-off joints and all -- but they don't really do it for me as an adult collector. Although I do really like the Prime mold.

Honestly, I think that the (good) Alternators/Binaltech and MP figures are much more successful at making G1 what we've always imagined it to be. The Classics are what G1 toys would be like if they'd been made now -- plastic and pop-off joints and all -- but they don't really do it for me as an adult collector. Although I do really like the Prime mold.

Classics Starscream > MP Starscream.

JMO.

I wouldn't go THAT far, but I would at least say

Classics Starscream = MP Starscream.

At least I don't feel like I'm going to break Classics SS when I transformer him. Or "OH FCUK! I just chipped the paint!!!!"

Archived