LUGNUT

100_3679.jpg

100_3674.jpg

YAYS

-good size in jet mode

-nice deco

-retractable landing gear (front/rear)

-rotatable cockpit and top canons

-power mace gimmick works well and is fun to activate (plug it in the hand and slam it on the ground to deploy the mace)

-in robot mode, it totally looks like an updated G1 Shockwave with the dark purple and clear red eye

-pretty good articulation overall

-cool automorph gimmick (from jet mode to robot mode, swing down the tail to reveal the head à la Bulkhead and cockpit will split in 2 to form the chest)

NAYS

-head and waist don't turn

-cockpit sometimes want to split in 2 in jet mode

-tailfins are a bit dangling around because of the spring-loaded power mace gimmick

PS : I'm not sure if it's the final deco or not. Peaugh's version appears to be purple & grey and mine is purple & teal (molded plastic & paint apps). Plus the head on mine isn't painted and the square bit on the head is teal instead of purple like it is on Peaugh's version and on the box. To add to the confusion, this boxed sample is purple & teal yet the back is showing it purple & grey (silver). Either an early version got boxed as a test or the definitive version is purple & teal and I got a variation.

003.jpg

RATCHET

100_3680.jpg

100_3676.jpg

YAYS

-tight vehicle mode

-nicely articulated robot mode

-lots of gimmick (flippable power magnets when you bend the arms up + 4 interchangeable tools)

-automorph gimmick (fold down the backpack to pop up the head)

NAYS

-automorph gimmick is not working well on my figure (head either doesn't want to stay in or doesn't want to come out)

-feet and heels are a royal pain to flip out

-painted side windows

-no waist joint

BLACKARACHNIA

100_3678.jpg

100_3675.jpg

YAYS

-sexy and stylish in both modes

-good articulation

-retractable string/grapple gimmick is fun and works well

-strong leg joints to support the spider mode

-good deco

-nice hommage to BW Blackarachnia

NAYS

-very light

-very plasticy (more than all the other figures released so far)

-a bit of a pain to transform and align

-little purple mandibles often want to pop off

-visible hands in spider mode (not that it bothers me much though, but some might hate it)

-hard to balance because of the tiny feet

Overall, 3 good figures, but not the best released so far. I would rank my figures this way:

VOYAGER CLASS

1. Optimus Prime (pretty much perfect)

2. Bulkhead (ditto)

3. Lugnut (loses points for poseability and dangling tailfins)

4. Starscream (loses points for the unfinished jet mode)

5. Megatron (lame alternate mode and oddly positionned arm canon)

DELUXE CLASS

1. Bumblebee (tight in both modes and fun accessories and stinger gimmick)

2. Optimus Prime (excellent robot mode, possibly the best so far)

3. Prowl (insane poseability and clean in both modes)

4. Ratchet (loses points for the problems with the automorph gimmick)

5. Blackarachnia (loses points for being so light and so difficult to align and transform - not that the transformation is complex; it's just a pain to get from point A to point B)

Your rundown really makes the Deluxe class looks amazing. Your reviews for BA and Ratchet seemed damn near glowing, and yet they were the bottom of your list. I'm really excited for the Animated line... particularly Prowl. And Soundwave. And Blitzwing.

Probably because it's a test shot. Colors are different from the one Peaugh reviewed a few days earlier. Where his has greenish-grey parts and paint apps, mine has teal parts and paint apps. And the head has a different colored block on top of the head, plus the face is unpainted.

All of them sound really good.

I'm a little put off by Lugnut though. I can forgive the lack of waist movement but a head with zero articulation is just bad. :tdown

Voyager Prime and Bulkhead, as well as Bumblebee, and Prowl are at the top of my to buy list.

I want BA and Ratchet eventually but Lugnut is still a big maybe.

Great reviews and pics.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived