Movie accurate Prime WIP

sonray

I wasn't going to post WIP pics of this guy but i am so excited with how its turning out i couldn't resist!

It should be finished by Thursday but im going away for the weekend so i might not have gallery pics up until next week. :(

Hope you like it so far, i know the commissioner is well pleased with it!

2343595745_d59257b279_o.jpg

Its basically a clone of my last custom voyager prime, except this one is a million times better. I didn't like how my old one came out at all. So many things just bothered me about it but this one everything seems to have gone right. You ever get one of those jobs were stuff just seems to go smoothly and the way you wanted it to? I rarely get that but on this occasion its been smooth sailing all the way through and it has been a blast!

Im also really pleased with how the chrome has turned out but that isn't pictured so you will have to wait to see those parts. :D

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looking promising. However, one thing i tend to notice, is it is a very contradictory custom. Optimus appears very shiny in some parts, but others a worn/rustic look (drybrushing) For some reason, the glossy drybrushing isn't working for me. Another concern of mine, is the copper color being substituted for what should be more gold (yellow)

I also believe there isn't much orange on optimus prime. Somehow, the gradient should blend from yellow straight to red, and the orange should be more subtle.

I also like the idea of varnish/gloss finish coat, but some parts shouldn't be glossy. too much gloss, looks like he just came out of water and is wet.

Hope to see more WIP pics soon!

EDIT::::

my bad...

didn't see who's WIP this was until after I posted. Regardless, my opinions still stand, though I don't want to make anyone upset.

looking promising. However, one thing i tend to notice, is it is a very contradictory custom. Optimus appears very shiny in some parts, but others a worn/rustic look (drybrushing) For some reason, the glossy drybrushing isn't working for me. Another concern of mine, is the copper color being substituted for what should be more gold (yellow)

I also believe there isn't much orange on optimus prime. Somehow, the gradient should blend from yellow straight to red, and the orange should be more subtle.

I also like the idea of varnish/gloss finish coat, but some parts shouldn't be glossy. too much gloss, looks like he just came out of water and is wet.

Hope to see more WIP pics soon!

EDIT::::

my bad...

didn't see who's WIP this was until after I posted. Regardless, my opinions still stand, though I don't want to make anyone upset.

It all looks perfectly fine to me, i dont see these problems you have pointed out.

You have to remember this was taken with the flash on which always causes a problem. Parts that arent that shiny look really shiny on here, the gallery pics will obviously show this in its full glory. I went for the super shiny, perfect looking alt mode with the dirty battle worn robot mode like you see in the movie. But since many alt mode parts make up the robot mode i can see where you might think this is a problem but to me it looks perfect.

Gold though? There was never any gold on him from what i saw in the movie, i always noticed a shade of copper though, but never gold. The orange in the gradient wasn't intentional either, its what happens when you put yellow over red however i think this makes it look more natural as flame jobs like that on real cars/trucks traditionally have the yellow to orange to red gradient so i see no problem with it personally.

Thanks for the input but i think you are being a tad too nit picky, especially since this is my custom and we are all aware of our history,especially since you never give that much input into other peoples customs. :wtf (with the 2-star rating you gave too, looks like your just trying to stir things up again and demean my work as usual)

contrary to what you say, it's actually more of a gold or brass. copper is a hue of deep orange/brown. Like the picture below, a more yellow hued "gold" color fits in with the red/blue/silver color palette used.

transformers_optimus.jpg

I'm not trying to stir anything up, just stating my opinion

Not to be a dick, or create an argument...but why post it if... "it looks perfect to me"???

contrary to what you say, it's actually more of a gold or brass.

Maybe so, at least in that pic, but the copper doesn't look out of place at all on the toy

Not to be a dick, or create an argument...but why post it if... "it looks perfect to me"???

Because, as he said, he was excited about how it was coming along and wanted to show everyone, rather than ask for criticism (which, to be fair was maybe just a little 'nit picky')

hoooooooo I can see this thread turning into a point of anger and argument...

**ducks for cover**

i like your work sonray. i'm not a fan at all of that voyager prime, but you managed to make him look good enough for me to actually want to have him in my display. great work and i hope to see some follow up pics soon. zedz

contrary to what you say, it's actually more of a gold or brass.

Maybe so, at least in that pic, but the copper doesn't look out of place at all on the toy

Because, as he said, he was excited about how it was coming along and wanted to show everyone, rather than ask for criticism (which, to be fair was maybe just a little 'nit picky')

hoooooooo I can see this thread turning into a point of anger and argument...

**ducks for cover**

And also who is he to say what color it can or cant be? Theres something called "artistic license" after all...not that i think the color i have chosen is wrong anyway. In every pic ive seen of prime he has a copperish/brassy look to those sections to me. *shrug*

But dont worry mate, it wont turn into a bad thread i can assure you of that. Im not reading any more of his posts. We have both been told not to communicate with each other and warned by mods not to do so anyway so i dont understand why he thinks its a good idea to comment and nitpick in my threads. But im just going to ignore what he has to say now and move on so there wont be any trouble i promise. :) (i only responded to his initial comment because i am an artist and this is my art and i have to defend it by nature)

Thank you for sticking up for me too, glad to see people understand where im coming from and what im doing.

:)

Haven't you done a Leader Prime before also, or just the other Voyager?

No just the other voyager, but i do have two leader class prime commissions that i will be working on next funnily enough. :) They will be awesome i cant wait to start working on them but i need to get this dude finished first as i dont like working on too many things at once or i lose focus.

i like your work sonray. i'm not a fan at all of that voyager prime, but you managed to make him look good enough for me to actually want to have him in my display. great work and i hope to see some follow up pics soon. zedz

Thanks man! That means a lot coming from you! I think your work is amazing so to think that you would consider my work good enough to display on your own shelf is a real compliment! :D

I'll have much MUCH more to come, and i have some really awesome projects lined up too that will blow you guys away (i hope) so i'll have more to post in the coming months. (i tend to take my time on my customs because im a big perfectionist to an obsessive degree lol)

Archived