Customizing Skills Used at Work!

tom servo

This might be a stretch for this forum, but I wanted to share it here. I recently landed a job at a place here in Philly that builds large-scale props and scenery. They mostly build and rent things for events, but they also make custom statuary- mostly from fiberglass (itchy!). My job is making things and making molds for things in fiberglass and resin. I actually got the job with a portfolio of small resin castings and Transformer and action figure customs! The lesson is that this stuff CAN get you a job!

While painting a giant Lio-Convoy head for the side of a building, I realized that all of the painting skills that I was using were honed on my custom projects: weathering, paint washing and dry-brushing. He, and some other less exciting trim, has to blend in with the copper trim on the building. I couldn't help but laugh as I was painting him, thinking about how I had honed my painting skills on things one hundredth it's size.

The boss let me use the shop camera to take some pictures.

We didn't sculpt it. It's a casting of one that they sent us to replicate.

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

(Ok, maybe it's just a regular lion head!)

This doesnt surprise me. The skills i learned from customizing cars were used for customizing transformers and now the more skills i learn from customizing transformers im using for customizing cars! Knowledge is great. :P

This doesnt surprise me. The skills i learned from customizing cars were used for customizing transformers and now the more skills i learn from customizing transformers im using for customizing cars! Knowledge is great. :P

Some might say it's half the battle. :thumb

Thanks! What I want to do is show people that you really can find artistic work out there. That's just not something that young artists hear enough. I was lucky enough to go to a high school with an art curriculum and I still got the impression that there wasn't any future in it.

Honestly, 80% of my job is basically being a construction worker, but this in only my second week, and I'm already doing some fun stuff.

Greetings and congrats! Thanks for sharing your story here - I contend that we could all stand to see more positive reinforcement of our unique creativity as a worthy endeavor AND the use of that creativity to real-world applications.

My own projects, inspiration and motivation ALL benefit heavily from daily scans of these custom forums, so I appreciate the art /work that everyone has generously shared. All I would ask for is MORE! :tfgrin

Dude, that is fricken awesome! I always wanted to get a job doing that kind of stuff, but could never manage to break into the field. I'm jealous, but extremely happy for you! :D :thumb :yay :clap :sun

Thanks! I credit getting fired from a really crappy job for giving me the kick in the rear that I needed to get me out of retail. The best advice I have for anyone who wants to get into a creative field is to work temporary jobs with lost of other creative types. You'll get a bunch of leads.

My own projects, inspiration and motivation ALL benefit heavily from daily scans of these custom forums, so I appreciate the art /work that everyone has generously shared. All I would ask for is MORE! :tfgrin

Here here!

Archived