Review : Animated Voyager Optimus Prime

Pascal

TRUCK MODE

YAY

-overall look (a cross between G1 Prime and Cybertron Prime)

-rotatable water canon (can do a full 360)

-big plastic wheels

-bumper design (looks like he's built to ram into things)

-circuitry-like detailing behind the windshield

-Animated look

-you almost get 2 toys for the price of 1 if you remove rear section (axe)... this way, Prime looks more like his G1 self

NAY

-not much to complain about, except maybe that it's not the full fire truck sometimes featured on the show?

-side windows, mirrors and tail lights could have been painted

-water canon is really hard on the fingers to activate and doesn't really work... forget about the gimmick, just use it as a gun

TRANSFORMATION

YAY

-the classic G1 transformation finally done right on a non-masterpiece Prime with a seamless cab and no visible hands or cheats

NAY

-"gravity spin" gimmick (you push a button and the waist/legs assembly spins into place for robot mode) is not always working as it should

-legs sometimes want to pop off when you extend them

ROBOT MODE

YAY

-good size

-pretty faithful (minus the weapons) to the show

-excellent overall articulation : knee, knee swivel, upper leg (2), waist, shoulder (3), bicep swivel, elbow (2), neck

-stable and easy to pose thanks to the large angled feet

-faceplate gimmick (somehow, I like it better on this one than on Cybertron Prime)

-2 weapons (giant axe + water gun)

-you can "store" the weapons on the back

NAY

-axe is only painted on one side

-can't look up or down

-again, the water gun has the same problems... forget about the gimmick, just use it as a gun

-empty forearms... would have been cleaner with a system similar to what we see on Cybertron Thundercracker for example

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How does it rank with my other Animated toys?

1. Voyager Bulkhead : flawless, extremely solid in both modes

2. DLX Bumblebee : still a favorite because of the look and the wicked transformation (I don't mind the feet)

3. Voyager Optimus Prime : my favorite Prime despite the leg problem

4. DLX Optimus Prime : looks like he just jumped out of my tv, plus I like the 3 weapon options

5. DLX Prowl : boring deco, but excellent transformation and wicked poseability

6. Voyager Starscream : good seeker, excellent poseability, great look (especially the face), but a bit boring and tricky to transform though... I would have also preferred to have the null-rays attached to the upper arms instead of the forearms

7. Voyager Megatron : questionable alternate mode and canon attachment on the arm... very good robot mode though

100_3608.jpg

100_3609.jpg

100_3610.jpg

100_3611.jpg

100_3612.jpg

100_3614.jpg

100_3615.jpg

You can put water in the gun. Similar to BW Megatron. The problem is that to activate the feature, your fingers get in the way of the water... if you can get anything to come out of it.

It cannot go any lower. I think you can remove the mecanism, but that would leave a hole on the back of the head and in the middle of the neck...

Archived