Let's Make A Muzzle Flash!

tom servo

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got a bunch of stuff over the weekend to mess around with some stuff and I tried this. Problem is, I'm not exactly sure which paint looks best.

Any suggestions about what paint and where to find it would be helpful. I was at a few craft stores and I didn't see anything other than regular yellows and reds. I like that clear color, what is that and where do I find it?

I used Tamiya Color Acrylic Paint Clear Orange and Clear Yellow (X-26 and X-24 respectively). I still need to go pick up some red and purple, if I can find it. I got mine at a small, non-chain hobby shop, and I've never seen the Tamiya Colors at big art stores. I don't like ordering paint online, but if you're stuck, that might be the way to go.

Good luck.

Yeah, I figured that would have been the brand you used. I've been to Michael's and Hobby Lobby and I couldn't find it there. I got the rods at a small model and hobby shop but they didn't have a big paint selection either. Did find some neat little paint applicators for fine details, though I haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

I did see that paint once at a Franks, but they're closed now so I don't know where else to try. I'll figure it out.

Oh if this is how it starts, then I'm in serious trouble!!!

I bought my first Dremel last week, along with a basic little kit of things for any small modifications and repairs and I'm already starting to think of trying bigger things.

If I'm taking apart figures in another week to try full repaints then I'm doomed!!!

Mods,why ain´t this a sticky yet?

It's the best damn tutorial for muzzle flashes there is!

Probably because there are already like 4 or 5 stickies at the top of the KB forum, and this could be posted in the IGTKB. I know that it is sometimes hard to find things in there but that would definitely be the best place for this to be posted for future generations to see.

Well now that I've managed to take care of some of my paint needs I can finally move on. Right now I'm still kind of experimenting with different things and just getting the feel for what works and what doesn't.

The store I found the rods at didn't have them in clear, but they had green and red fiber optic rods that I got and when I painted over the one I made with the green rod it seems to have had an interesting effect. Like it wouldn't really need so much yellow, but I want to see how the yellow will add to it.

Again, being that I'm just experimenting I haven't really been making mine with any particular use in mind yet. With that said, a few ideas of who to try them with though. Hopefully in another day or two I'll manage to get some pics together. My camera sucks and I hate using it but it's all I got right now.

SEE WHAT THIS HAS DONE!!! While getting all of this stuff together I went ahead and got some things for an attempt at a full blown repaint project. I thought I'd start off with something small though so I'm gonna repaint Cybertron Starscream into Skywarp. (yes the supreme SS)

Question...I brought this up seeing we're on the subject of using clear paints here. I was wondering if anyone knew before I tried this, but would applying clear blue over Starscream's clear red parts give it a good purple color???

....This could get ugly!!!

Well now that I've managed to take care of some of my paint needs I can finally move on. Right now I'm still kind of experimenting with different things and just getting the feel for what works and what doesn't.

The store I found the rods at didn't have them in clear, but they had green and red fiber optic rods that I got and when I painted over the one I made with the green rod it seems to have had an interesting effect. Like it wouldn't really need so much yellow, but I want to see how the yellow will add to it.

Again, being that I'm just experimenting I haven't really been making mine with any particular use in mind yet. With that said, a few ideas of who to try them with though. Hopefully in another day or two I'll manage to get some pics together. My camera sucks and I hate using it but it's all I got right now.

SEE WHAT THIS HAS DONE!!! While getting all of this stuff together I went ahead and got some things for an attempt at a full blown repaint project. I thought I'd start off with something small though so I'm gonna repaint Cybertron Starscream into Skywarp. (yes the supreme SS)

Question...I brought this up seeing we're on the subject of using clear paints here. I was wondering if anyone knew before I tried this, but would applying clear blue over Starscream's clear red parts give it a good purple color???

....This could get ugly!!!

I've not tried it however theoretically it should.

Archived