Alternators Cliffjumper

sonray

Here's my latest custom, finally finished.

Im still new to this heavy alteration thing, so some things didn't come out as good as i had hoped. This is mainly evident on the car mode which isn't really all that i think but the bot mode (imo) more than makes up for it.

I'm quite pleased with the overall end result though and he looks great next to the other alt Subaru molds. The thing i like the most is his head. Im really pleased with how that turned out, especially since its my first ever head re sculpt. (the whole thing only being my second ever kitbash technically)

2231057639_83e62def74.jpg

2231852086_0bb2da7364.jpg

2231057763_28a07ab271.jpg

2231852228_8721b1380e.jpg

2231058189_ff5909466e.jpg

2231852494_8fb9bd7145.jpg

2231058465_77067b27a8.jpg

2231058611_fbd3e8b1fa.jpg

A group shot which was too big for my light box lol

2231874408_cd5f27d127_o.jpg

2231968490_006b500dc0.jpg

I decided to just go with a plain red paint job in the end and not include any racing sponsor decals or silver graphics on the sides due to budget limitations and LBS (Lazy Bastard Syndrome). Besides i was trying to keep the paint as G1 accurate as possible so silver tear graphics and racing decals wouldn't have really suited the character anyway. You cant really see it but i used Clay's embossed faction logo tutorial and put an autobot logo on upper left hand side of the hood, it looks pretty cool. (thanks Clay!)

The front wheels posed a problem for the transformation, so i had to mod them to detach and re-attach with the aid of some rare earth magnets (those things are cool!) which solved the problem. The wheels are so big that they just popped the arms out of their sockets during transformation so i had to do something about that. No biggie to me really.

Anyway, lemme know what ya think. Time for a rest now...

Nicely done! The clean paint job is a good look for him. I would have just went with popping off the arms, as I usually have one or both pop off anyway on even my un-modded figures!

What's this about an embossed logo tutorial?

Nicely done! The clean paint job is a good look for him. I would have just went with popping off the arms, as I usually have one or both pop off anyway on even my un-modded figures!

Surprised ya dont know about it mate. Heres the link, originally posted at TFW:

Seems the alt's are not really on scale ... else that model kit would have fitted.

The wheels sticking out so far is caused by alt's having them way too thin =/

So far it looks really cool :clap

That video looked meh. I was surprised to see him spray directly onto the piece instead of making passes. Also looks like he hacked the hell out of that logo. Would have looked alot better had he cut the logo out first and transfered it then applied it instead of cutting on the alt.

As for Cliffjumper, it looks good but it looks like in robot mode he has cat ears. As for the front wheels being too far out can't you make some flared wheel wells? Then maybe offset the rears out a little more and flare them too. That would make it look almost perfect.

Did you back out the windows or use a tint spray?

I like it, if I can get my hands on a cheap alt silverstreak I may attempt this too.

That video looked meh. I was surprised to see him spray directly onto the piece instead of making passes. Also looks like he hacked the hell out of that logo. Would have looked alot better had he cut the logo out first and transfered it then applied it instead of cutting on the alt.

As for Cliffjumper, it looks good but it looks like in robot mode he has cat ears. As for the front wheels being too far out can't you make some flared wheel wells? Then maybe offset the rears out a little more and flare them too. That would make it look almost perfect.

Did you back out the windows or use a tint spray?

I like it, if I can get my hands on a cheap alt silverstreak I may attempt this too.

I was considering flared arches but i couldnt figure out how to make them work on the front. Theres those shoulder joints on the front fenders and putting flared arches on those areas proved nigh on impossible for me to accomplish. So i thought it was pointless to just add rear flared arches and no front ones. I might just re-stick the rear wheels back on in a different position to make them stick out as far as the front ones.

As for that guys video i did exactly what he did and it turned out great.

Anyways thanks for the comment.

Looks fantastic. The wheels are a bit big (which you said would happen anyway as a WIP), but you worked in the new rally parts incredibly well. That body kit is absolutely seamless.

Archived