Movie Soundwave from Movie Ironhide Ver 2

tom servo

Thanks everyone! I'm glad that you all like it! I considered gold on the chest, but I wanted to go with a different look than what you typically see on Soundwave customs. I also wanted to give his alt mode a tough look that a gold grille may have detracted from.

Headhunterzz- I used a combination of Model Master acrylic and enamel paints along with a few touched with cheaper acrylics and a dab of paint marker.

If you're going to repaint your Ironhide, you already have the perfect head on him. That's what I used.

And as for what I plan to do with him-

he's on ebay

Your wish is granted. (I had to go to bed at some point last night! :tflaugh )

Here he is in both modes with his new Reprolabel faction symbols!

SW2.jpg

SW4.jpg

SW7.jpg

SW10.jpg

I split the Con symbol across his hood because I was going for practicality in the alt mode. I wanted him to look really tough and realistic in truck mode. Someone that you'd get nervous about driving too close to. Offsetting the one on the tailgate came out of not being able to fit a big enough one between the sprockets. I also thought that it was a very Autobot placement. Sort of an FU from Soundwave.

About the knees- I wanted to do something different with this one. The original figure has the big red speaker stickers on his inner legs and a lot of color on the knees, so I wanted to do something of a tribute to that. The G1 figures always had these weird, way-too-colorful stickers on them in odd places. He's pretty dark otherwise.

As you may have guessed that the modifications the the guns no longer allow him to form Ironhide's BFG. I felt bad about the first one that I did, but Offroad Ironhide's BFG didn't even work! The missiles just flopped out, so no loss!

There are lots of pics in the auction page. If the link isn't working for you, just search ebay for "Custom Soundwave". Mine is the only one at the moment.

Thanks again, everyone!

For those interested, here's a closer look at his guns. I rounded the front end of the shoulder cannon by Dremeling off the bumps and building it back up with putty. The blaster's handle has been made from the connector bit. It already had the perfect hinge. I whittled it down and slid a styrene tube over it with a styrene peg up the bottom to seal it off and shaped it as needed. I really wish that they would make those styrene bits in black. Or if they do, for my local art store to carry them. They don't take dye either. I've tried.

Soundwaveguns002.jpg

Allover, the plastics used on Offroad Ironhide are much harder and stiffer than the black version. However, the fact that he's already the perfect color for Soundwave more than makes up for it.

Model Master Acryl 4661 Ford/GM Engine Blue is almost a perfect match for the plastic. On the guns I used Rust-oleum Painter's Touch Gloss Deep Blue. I used it for the entire body of my first SW. It's a touch lighter, but I think that it works fine.

Archived