Biggest Transformers toy flop of 2007?

Cool Hand Lube

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damnit!!! :danmit :hrfinger (hey - where is the cartman smiley??)

I like Brawl!!! I realize that he has some design issues but he is far from the Flop of the year!

If anything - Blackout is a worse flop that Brawl!! but even so- There is lots to like with both figs. And I think most people who complain about brawls floppy arms dont realize that you can close the hatches on his backpack and that fixes most of it.

That's just a poor fix for a poorly designed toy. Shoulders were supposed to lock in and they don't the way they were meant to. Therefore the design fails. Blackout does exactly what it was designed to do. Just because it's not big enough doesn't mean it's a flop.

The biggest loser would have to be moofie Scorponok. So not worth paying a deluxe price point for. I would've preferred it if they ditched the transformation and made it cheaper. Moofie Blackout is the 2nd worse for reasons people have already cited. The toy would've been better without the rotor gimmick, although the gimmick is fun when coupled with Scorponok. In defence of Deluxe Decepticon Brawl, other than the crappy shoulder joints, it's not that bad of a toy. Leader Class Brawl - aside from the electronic bells and whistles, doesn't really seem to be worth the Leader Class price. IMO the Deluxe version offers better value for money.

The biggest winner this year is Moofie Leader Optimus Prime. Best Optimus Prime toy ever since 1995's Laser Rod Prime! And the fact that people have argued over Leader Prime vs Masterpiece Convoy shows how awesomes it is (most other Primes wouldn't even be worth the comparison). 2nd best winner is Classics Jetfire. Now all the "GeeWun Skyfire" fanboys can stfu! :D :D Seriously but, it is a neat toy that nicely marries traditional Jetfire and Skyfire elements together, making fans of either form happy. And doing something like that isn't as easy as it sounds. And the fact that there was an Australian on the Takara design team for the toy is kewl too, eheheheheh.

Runner-up would have to be Classics Ultra Magnus. Why, oh why do all Ultra Magnuses HAVE TO BE white Optimus repaints? Maybe the failure isn't so much Hasbro's on this point as it is Dreamwave's, but Hasbro still releases these poor representations of the character.

It's not Dreamwave's fault. G1 Ultra Magnus, without the trailer, is a white Optimus Prime!

photocomic_lasermagnus03.jpg

Repaint Optimus Prime white as Ultra Magnus is fundamentally not much more or less cheesier than repainting Starscream into Skywarp and/or Thundercracker. And who here would not love HasTak if they repainted the MP Skywarp mould (Hasbro's MPSS was a repaint of this hardier mould) for MP Thundercracker? ;)

Then you have Nightwatch Optimus Prime who sports Ultra Magnus' Diaclone colour! :P

Look! It's movie Powered Convoy!

thumb-nightwatch-optimus-prime-024.jpg05714.jpg

Seriously... I have no interest in getting Nightwatch Prime, but if they made Movie Magnus, I would consider getting that... maybe (I wasn't interested in Movie Thundercracker or any of the other G1 coloured movie figures - depends on how the colour scheme looks/turns out on that mould I guess).

That's just a poor fix for a poorly designed toy. Shoulders were supposed to lock in and they don't the way they were meant to. Therefore the design fails. Blackout does exactly what it was designed to do. Just because it's not big enough doesn't mean it's a flop.

+1

Blackout does exactly what it was designed to do. Just because it's not big enough doesn't mean it's a flop.

It does to me.

If "automorph works correctly" is what Blackout is supposed to do, it fails.

I'll throw my 3 rings into the stake:

1) Movie deluxe Jazz - Craptastic arms with bricklike poseability

2) Movie Leader Megatron - Ever brickier poseability and a lame alt mode (kickass in the movie though, just not in the toy).

3) Movie Dreadwing - All levels of nastiness IMO

People pick on Deluxe Brawl. He would have been great if not for the weak shoulders.

Honorable dismentions to Movie Deluxe Swindle and the BotCon Seekers decable.

If "automorph works correctly" is what Blackout is supposed to do, it fails.

My Blackout works just fine, as do thousands of thousands of other Blackouts. Not my fault if you screwed the automorph feature by forcing it. Because admit it, that's exactly what you did.

People pick on Deluxe Brawl. He would have been great if not for the weak shoulders.

+1 for truth.

Aside from the shoulder coupling (and I'll admit that it's a bad screw up), there's nothing really wrong with this toy and I think it has a better paint app than Leader Brawl (whose colours remind me more of FAB Brawl - way too bright and shiny whereas Deluxe Brawl's colours are darker and more subdued).

Archived