Totally had it with scalpers!#@! have they no shame!

Bumblerod

What I think we need to do is popularize how totally uncool scalping is. Sure we won't stop them from turning tricks but at very least we can make them know people hate their fucking guts for it. What if we had a Anti-Scalper Art contest or something? :D

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Augh.

Sure, what scalpers do isn't fair. But life ain't fair. And to nip the "BUT UNFAIRNESS IS UNJUST AND THEREFORE WRONG" argument in the bud, consider the following statement:

"In the fictional WEKILLOURCITIZENSLAND all people brought to court on criminal charges are killed, even if the jury decided the defendant was innocent. You will find that the system is fair because everyone is treated the same way but the system is completely devoid of... Justice..."

Transformers aren't toys for kids. They're toys for whoever the hell wants them. If a 25 year old dude just wants a REALLY nice Transformers MISB collection, Transformers are for him. If some 43 year old man loves them and plays with them all the time despite not having children, Transformers are for him. Transformers are for whoever the hell wants them.

Transformers may have been marketed for kids, but only because they're the biggest market. You don't see people whining about 16 year olds getting cars and saying "THE CARS WERE MADE FOR US PEOPLE WHO KNOW HOW TO DRIVE WITHOUT CRASHING." Was my previous statement about cars friggin' ridiculous? Yes. Is you guys' arguments about Transformers being for kids friggin' ridiculous? Yes.

Children don't suffer because they don't have some suchandsuch toy, damnit. Children suffer when their parents can't feed them. If you MUST make this about the children, find a homeless kid and give him some bread. So get off your humanitarian high horses and realize "Hey, I'm just trying to make myself not look like a total whining weenie because I can't get the Transformer I want without paying a ton of money by painting children as victims and crying for them!" Pathos only works in arguments when skillfully used! You guys have butchered it!

Now, though I am not a scalper due to insufficient time and funds, that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to be one someday. In a store all products on the sales floor have been put out for me and every other customer to buy in whatever quantities we can afford/want. Simple. As. That.

I'm not saying that I don't seethe when I see a scalper in a store. But it's not because I have a problem with him doing what he's doing. It's because I know I was too late. The problem I have with Scalpers is the same problem I have with every other customer who bought the Transformer I wanted: they got their first.

My personal belief: You guys have the same problem with Scalpers that I do, but you're willing to punish them for making a buck off of your hobby (stores that sell Tranformers do this, too!). As I said before: Get off your humanitarian high horses. You're making fools of yourselves.

And it's an honest buck, by the way. They brought the legal tender to buy the transformers, they bought them, then they resold them at a higher price. Scalpers aren't the only people who do this: JUST ABOUT EVERY STORE IN THE WORLD DOES THIS. They buy from suppliers and resell at a higher price. If you have a problem with Scalpers doing this beyond simply that they got there first, then you ought have the same problem with every store in the world doing this. Sure, the markup might not be as high in stores in most cases... But Scalpers can sell their Transformers at whatever price they want. They own the Transformers until they've sold them. And apparently SOMEONE wants to buy them.

On the other hand, Scalping isn't that great of a business model: The demand only comes several times a year at semi-unpredictable intervals and they have to compete with other scalpers and general shoppers. Have some heart for the Scalpers, guys! What they do is hard!

And without Scalpers I KNOW I wouldn't have many of the Transformers I have today: They allowed me to buy the Transformers I wanted. You can argue that BECAUSE of scalpers I wasn't able to find the Transformer in the stores. And that may be true! But Scalpers aren't as prevalent as you all say. It's a hell of a lot more likely that parents and other people like me bought them for their own pleasure.

So let me end this rant with a "THANK GOD FOR SCALPERS!"

THANK GOD FOR SCALPERS!

P.S. I think it's a REALLY prick thing to do to take Transformers off of the hooks and hide them behind other stuff, but what can you do besides un-hide them when you see them doing it? Answer: Report the Scalpers to the store manager for hiding product! I'm sure the manager won't like the Scalper taking away business by hiding his product.

Here's a nice story from a G.I. Joe message board.

"smokehouse

Great 25th find and even better story…

Yesterday I went all over looking for 25th Joes…3 Wal-Mart stores, a Target and TRU and nothing. Today I went to another Wal-Mart in another town just to pick up a few things and decided to go to the toys first…

I was shocked…

Not only did they have pegs and pegs FULL of 25th figs…I happened to spot Gung-Ho right out in front…

So I picked it up…and behind it…V1 Cobra Commander…behind him Destro…followed by Storm Shadow!

I did a bit of digging and found Duke, Roadblock, Scarlett and Cobra Air Trooper. I didn’t pick up Scarlett or the Air Trooper because I’m not really interested in them. After a bit of digging I found a Crimson Guard as well!!! Note, there were only one of each of the new figs and no Snow Job, V2 Destro, V1 Snake Eyes or Flash.

At this point my hands were full so I decided to go get a hand basket to carry my haul while I was getting my other items.

Once I found the basket I returned to the Joes to make sure I didn’t miss any I wanted (they also has Flint, a few Shipwercks and even a Stalker as well as many others BTW…).

At this point there was some scraggly looking dude standing there looking through the figs. I walked up to him and stood there a second waiting for him to finish. I noticed he had the one and only Scarlett in his hand.

“So, you a collector?†I asked, trying not to choke on the overwhelming smell of cigarettes emanating from him.

“Nope…I sell these things on eBay†He says in a smug tone as if saying “Yeah chump…and I beat you to them…take that.â€

“looking for the rest of the new figs?â€

“yep…â€

“Well *Shake-a Shake-a Shake-a* (I shake my basket at him showing him the contents), I got the rest and even got the only Crimson Guard…â€

He scowled at me and walked off still holding his Scarlett…

LOL!!! There’s a few figs that moron won’t be able to hack…they’re hanging on my wall! You know, had I beat out another collector I might have felt a little bad but this guy…I got a mild sense of accomplishment from it."

Here's a nice story from a G.I. Joe message board.

"smokehouse

Great 25th find and even better story…

Yesterday I went all over looking for 25th Joes…3 Wal-Mart stores, a Target and TRU and nothing. Today I went to another Wal-Mart in another town just to pick up a few things and decided to go to the toys first…

I was shocked…

Not only did they have pegs and pegs FULL of 25th figs…I happened to spot Gung-Ho right out in front…

So I picked it up…and behind it…V1 Cobra Commander…behind him Destro…followed by Storm Shadow!

I did a bit of digging and found Duke, Roadblock, Scarlett and Cobra Air Trooper. I didn’t pick up Scarlett or the Air Trooper because I’m not really interested in them. After a bit of digging I found a Crimson Guard as well!!! Note, there were only one of each of the new figs and no Snow Job, V2 Destro, V1 Snake Eyes or Flash.

At this point my hands were full so I decided to go get a hand basket to carry my haul while I was getting my other items.

Once I found the basket I returned to the Joes to make sure I didn’t miss any I wanted (they also has Flint, a few Shipwercks and even a Stalker as well as many others BTW…).

At this point there was some scraggly looking dude standing there looking through the figs. I walked up to him and stood there a second waiting for him to finish. I noticed he had the one and only Scarlett in his hand.

“So, you a collector?†I asked, trying not to choke on the overwhelming smell of cigarettes emanating from him.

“Nope…I sell these things on eBay†He says in a smug tone as if saying “Yeah chump…and I beat you to them…take that.â€

“looking for the rest of the new figs?â€

“yep…â€

“Well *Shake-a Shake-a Shake-a* (I shake my basket at him showing him the contents), I got the rest and even got the only Crimson Guard…â€

He scowled at me and walked off still holding his Scarlett…

LOL!!! There’s a few figs that moron won’t be able to hack…they’re hanging on my wall! You know, had I beat out another collector I might have felt a little bad but this guy…I got a mild sense of accomplishment from it."

win

When did you miss the part where scalping takes away from the point of children enjoying toys?

Read my earlier post for my take on that. Actually, I'll quote myself.

Augh.

Sure, what scalpers do isn't fair. But life ain't fair. And to nip the "BUT UNFAIRNESS IS UNJUST AND THEREFORE WRONG" argument in the bud, consider the following statement:

"In the fictional WEKILLOURCITIZENSLAND all people brought to court on criminal charges are killed, even if the jury decided the defendant was innocent. You will find that the system is fair because everyone is treated the same way but the system is completely devoid of... Justice..."

Transformers aren't toys for kids. They're toys for whoever the hell wants them. If a 25 year old dude just wants a REALLY nice Transformers MISB collection, Transformers are for him. If some 43 year old man loves them and plays with them all the time despite not having children, Transformers are for him. Transformers are for whoever the hell wants them.

Transformers may have been marketed for kids, but only because they're the biggest market. You don't see people whining about 16 year olds getting cars and saying "THE CARS WERE MADE FOR US PEOPLE WHO KNOW HOW TO DRIVE WITHOUT CRASHING." Was my previous statement about cars friggin' ridiculous? Yes. Is you guys' arguments about Transformers being for kids friggin' ridiculous? Yes.

Children don't suffer because they don't have some suchandsuch toy, damnit. Children suffer when their parents can't feed them. If you MUST make this about the children, find a homeless kid and give him some bread. So get off your humanitarian high horses and realize "Hey, I'm just trying to make myself not look like a total whining weenie because I can't get the Transformer I want without paying a ton of money by painting children as victims and crying for them!" Pathos only works in arguments when skillfully used! You guys have butchered it!

Now, though I am not a scalper due to insufficient time and funds, that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to be one someday. In a store all products on the sales floor have been put out for me and every other customer to buy in whatever quantities we can afford/want. Simple. As. That.

I'm not saying that I don't seethe when I see a scalper in a store. But it's not because I have a problem with him doing what he's doing. It's because I know I was too late. The problem I have with Scalpers is the same problem I have with every other customer who bought the Transformer I wanted: they got their first.

My personal belief: You guys have the same problem with Scalpers that I do, but you're willing to punish them for making a buck off of your hobby (stores that sell Tranformers do this, too!). As I said before: Get off your humanitarian high horses. You're making fools of yourselves.

And it's an honest buck, by the way. They brought the legal tender to buy the transformers, they bought them, then they resold them at a higher price. Scalpers aren't the only people who do this: JUST ABOUT EVERY STORE IN THE WORLD DOES THIS. They buy from suppliers and resell at a higher price. If you have a problem with Scalpers doing this beyond simply that they got there first, then you ought have the same problem with every store in the world doing this. Sure, the markup might not be as high in stores in most cases... But Scalpers can sell their Transformers at whatever price they want. They own the Transformers until they've sold them. And apparently SOMEONE wants to buy them.

On the other hand, Scalping isn't that great of a business model: The demand only comes several times a year at semi-unpredictable intervals and they have to compete with other scalpers and general shoppers. Have some heart for the Scalpers, guys! What they do is hard!

And without Scalpers I KNOW I wouldn't have many of the Transformers I have today: They allowed me to buy the Transformers I wanted. You can argue that BECAUSE of scalpers I wasn't able to find the Transformer in the stores. And that may be true! But Scalpers aren't as prevalent as you all say. It's a hell of a lot more likely that parents and other people like me bought them for their own pleasure.

So let me end this rant with a "THANK GOD FOR SCALPERS!"

THANK GOD FOR SCALPERS!

P.S. I think it's a REALLY prick thing to do to take Transformers off of the hooks and hide them behind other stuff, but what can you do besides un-hide them when you see them doing it? Answer: Report the Scalpers to the store manager for hiding product! I'm sure the manager won't like the Scalper taking away business by hiding his product.

Archived