Totally had it with scalpers!#@! have they no shame!

Bumblerod

Take this thought:

If this type of thing was rampant back in the 80s, and none of us were able to buy the G1 TFs, because of a$$nuggets deciding that they're too lazy to get a real job and would rather rob children of their toys, would we be collecting the today? Probably not. Now lets take that as a domino effect. G1 fans would have been unable to develop into that fandom that we are, thus aiding the continued proliferation of our toy hobby...which means this movie would have most likely never been made, the cartoons wouldn't be produced every couple years, and none of these toys would be here for us. So by scalping in large quantities is in effect: limiting the number of new fans into the hobby, which continues to shrink the potential target demographic, effectively killing a franchise as it's fandom withers away to nothing.

Granted this is a little extreme, but am I completely off-track? The older collectors can continue to buy the product, but toy companies aren't making it for us, and when kids can't get toys, and stop watching cartoons the franchise dies.

What makes you think the scalpers don't have jobs?

And your arguement doesn't work, because scalpers don't grab every toy. Just the rare ones. All of us missed out on toys we wanted when we were young.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The bottom line like it or not is that parents are looking for certain items for their kids at xmas and adults are stopping them from getting it, thats wrong much more so than me or another adult collector not being able to get one because idiots have gone to the local Argos and bought 10 leader class nightwatch primes for £39.99 and listed them for £94.99

Exactly. I can (sometimes) afford to go pay ebay prices for something scalpers are having their way with, but parents are not (at least none that I've met) going to pay $50 for a $10 toy for their kids. It doesn't really hurt the adult collector, it pisses us off, but it does make toys unavailable to children, and that is really the bottom line.

Take this thought:

If this type of thing was rampant back in the 80s, and none of us were able to buy the G1 TFs, because of a$$nuggets deciding that they're too lazy to get a real job and would rather rob children of their toys, would we be collecting the today? Probably not. Now lets take that as a domino effect. G1 fans would have been unable to develop into that fandom that we are, thus aiding the continued proliferation of our toy hobby...which means this movie would have most likely never been made, the cartoons wouldn't be produced every couple years, and none of these toys would be here for us. So by scalping in large quantities is in effect: limiting the number of new fans into the hobby, which continues to shrink the potential target demographic, effectively killing a franchise as it's fandom withers away to nothing.

Granted this is a little extreme, but am I completely off-track? The older collectors can continue to buy the product, but toy companies aren't making it for us, and when kids can't get toys, and stop watching cartoons the franchise dies.

I agree 100%

This also highlights the biggest problem I have with scalpers, its unfair to the kids.

Moaning about someone else making money in business? Pathetic.

Business? Hardly.

It's a sleazy way to make a buck, and as I've said before, the people who are screwed over the most are the kids. These toys are primarily for children. Scalpers aren't just hurting collectors, they're hurting kids because they're parents can't find the right toy.

So not only do we have to pay through the nose to get figures that should be regularly available, but so do parents who just want to get their kid a toy of their favourite Transformers character.

Yes, Hasbro is sometimes to blame (not making enough of a toy, poor distribution, etc....), and sometimes it's simply a matter of a toy being popular and selling out the right way. Yet don't pretend that scalpers don't exist and that they don't do their fair share to factor into empty shelves and bare pegs. I mean come on. We've all seen the pictures from eBay. Joe Schmuck with his 50 or so Rescue Ratchets or G1 Movie Starscreams.

I hate playing devil's advocate, but if people weren't WILLING to buy these things at heavily inflated prices, scalping wouldn't be as prevalent as it is. Is there anyone out there that can say they've NEVER over-paid for an item?

I personally don't like scalping either, but what are you gonna do? Other than refuse to pay too much for something, even if it is something you really, really, really want, that is.

When I was a kid, there was never a 3 month period when I could walk into a store and see nothing at all on the shelf, even during the holiday season, there were toys in stores.

As far as the job thing goes, I admitted that the argument was a little extreme, but it's not easy to hit that many stores in different parts of the city on your way to work in the morning. This being based off the presumption that one guy on ebay selling 30 concept Bumblebees didn't find them all at one store on one morning...that took some effort and searching.

To be fair the main problem with N.W.Prime is that hasbro u.k. should be shipping more to argos stores.

If scalpers are buying so many argos should be sent more stock or Hasbro shouldnt have let them put it in the catalouges to begin with.

Still N.W. Prime is bieng released in japan & the U.S. soon.

well, i've come to the realization that a scalper has finally hit the south side of parkersburg. either a scalper or a HUGE joe fan. at 5a.m. thursday morning i was at walmart doing some grocery shopping. i went over to the toy isle and to my surprise they'd restocked all the 25th joes (oh yea, the tf pegs where entirely empty save a few real gear guys and robot hero packs. they've been this way for weeks now). 3 pegs full to the hilt. so i looked through and found one air trooper in the lot, i decided to hide him seeing as how they've been extremely hard to find and the others have been common in my area. well, we got some xmas cash from my mother-in-law's friend so i decided to run down and pick up the guy i'd hidden and another one that i'm missing. this was around 6 or 7 pm. i walk over to where the joes are and there is NOTHING. a firefly, a sgt stalker, and a buzzer is all that remained, and of course my very well hidden fig.

now, before you say "well they had hours to sell", let me bring to your attn that i've been going to this store at least 4 times a week. i can give you a good estimate on how long something should last on shelves, and those joes should have lasted at LEAST 4 days until the pegs where empty. i went last night and saw they'd put out 2 cases of deluxes, i might go back tonight and see what all's left.

If anyone ever sees a scalper in a store, take the following action...

transfanmeet14.jpg

I've seen the same scalper in my stores (WM) a few times now and I even realized what he was doing with the stuff he wasn't buying. He was hiding them under the endcaps. After that of course I pulled the stuff back out and put it back on the shelves. I even called him out as a scalper one night, when I saw him and he didn't see. As soon as I said it, his head was the only one that turned.

Asses like them are the reason you can't find the new Cars characters, Starwars figures, Transformers or GI Joes.

I agree and feel for everyone who's hating on the scalpers. IMO, the get a job comment is not a silly comment. Anyone can work a few hours overtime or deliver pizzas etc, and make 10x more that scalping toys. People who scalp are stoopid loosers. Time spent on gas, posting fees to sell, paypal, shipping, yadda yadda. All that to make $5-$20 on a toy they probably spent 2-3 hours on buying, selling it and shipping. The truth is:

Sclapers, you gots no job becuase you can't do the maths.

Spend your $s to PWN people U DUMBA$$e$!!!!

If anyone ever sees a scalper in a store, take the following action...

transfanmeet14.jpg

I've seen the same scalper in my stores (WM) a few times now and I even realized what he was doing with the stuff he wasn't buying. He was hiding them under the endcaps. After that of course I pulled the stuff back out and put it back on the shelves. I even called him out as a scalper one night, when I saw him and he didn't see. As soon as I said it, his head was the only one that turned.

Asses like them are the reason you can't find the new Cars characters, Starwars figures, Transformers or GI Joes.

hiding toys in the endcaps? wtf kind of noob bullsh!t is that? lmao.

Archived