Why G1 was So Great

emon87

I am not a G1 purist but there are some things that I noticed about G1 that make it bette than any of the other Series. First g1 show greatly surpass any other show. The only one that I think even comes close to G1 is Beast wars. The characters in G1 were very memerable which is why there are always characters like them in every other transformers show.But anyway the toys were amazing for there time. The only thing people can really say negatively about the toys was that they weren't possible. I don't really care if they are possible or not. But lately alot of the rescent transformers have been less possible than the G1 toys. One thing about the G1 toys that make them better than every other toy was there vehicle modes. They acctually looked like real cars. That can't be said for Armada or Energon. Most of them back then had really great transformations. Some of the toys then were better than the toys that are out now. Like Shockwave, Jetfire, FortMax, Hot Rod, and all the Dinobots.

Well thats what I think

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toys aside, Also look at the G1 series in the regard that there actually appears to be a large army on both sides, and we get to know about 200 on each side quite easily, whereas the newer series you've got less than 20 per side that you know about, and no sign of armies for either side anywhere (except for the unicron battle at the end of Armada, but that was about it). At least in Beast Machines Megatron's vehicon army was shown as quite massive, even if they were all mindless drones. But each G1 character had a personality, which is more than I can say for many of the new characters.

I think it's because of nostalgia and how liscensing works today.

Many of the alt/disguise modes used back in the 80s would have no chance of being used now because Takara/Hasbro don't want to be sued.

However, I think nostalgia plays a huge factor. If a kid got to choose, I think they would most likely pick recent incarnations of Transformers. As much as I love TFs, the old show was still a little hokey.

It will be interesting to see the opinions of G1 and TFs in general 50 years from now, even 20 years from now when the buying power shifts from us to a newer generation.

The G1 charachters like someone else posted here had personalities that you could relate to. You knew where each charachter was coming from. The toys from G1 look outdated now but back then they were the coolest things going and even today they still are. G1 is where it all started for me and its where it will end for me as well. Theres nothing like seeing G1 Optimus Prime and Megatron locked in heated battles and lets not forget little Bumblebee trying to be a heroic warrior like Optimus Prime. Or lets not forget Starscream always trying to come up with a plan to take over the Decepticons from Megatron. G1 in my opinion was the best.

:usa

Eh, G1 just seems really weak now...

Characters: Compare G1 Starscream to Armada Starscream:

G1 - Whines and complains, wants to take over the Decepticons for no reason even through he's a coward and doesn't have that great leadership abilities

Armada - Whines and complains, but for good reason as Megatron does not sHhow him the respect/apperication that he works so hard to achieve as no matter what it does, its never good for Megs.

Wanted to get rid of Megatron (take over Decepticons?) because Megatron treated him like a pawn

Who really seems like the stronger character? G1 had little or no reason behind his actions other than he could/he's evil, making him a very 2D character where as Armada SS EVOLVED and had motivation and actually did have courage and good leadership qualities, he was shunned by Megatron and resented it.

This also applies to other G1 characters. Optimus Prime = Ultimate good Megatron = Ultimate evil. Ok, and...? There's not that much more to them than that

There are to many repaints now. It seems that Hasbro/Takara are trying to save money by using the same mold over and over instead of creating a new one. Now G1 did use the same molds over and over. Like thsekkers and the Cars. But they were good repaints not like Powerlinx Red alert. But what was really bad in the newer transformers tv shows is that like Armada there were 3 Autobots vs 4 Decepticons. Still G1 is the Best show which will never be surpassed. But I do think beast wars is a close second.

But anyway I would really love to own ever G1 figure but they are to expensive so right now I am focusing on Energon. Which is pretty close to G1.

Another thing I noticed was that they aren't doing anything new with they toys. Everything that they arre doing now was already done in G1. The one thing that I thought they should of continued was the Minicons. It was a good Idea but instead of continueing it they make energon and killoff ALL of the mincons except for perceptor and The energon saber. Which was the stupidest move they could ever do. But no matter what anyone says G1 will never be surpased

Well part of the problem is Takara's "repaints don't equal new characters" policy as they seem to favor making repaints Super Modes instead. This was recently seen as Hasbro tried to have Thundercracker on Armada as a separate character but sadly, he just turned into Starscream Super Mode

Archived