Haggisjin

Your opinion on change  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which are you?

• Change is bad, m'kay?
    • Change is awesome!
    • Change is good, as long as it's not extreme
    • Change is good, as long as it still looks like geewun
    • Transformers achieved perfection in the 80's and change is not needed.

i think its a good thing but its not always going to end well IMO post RiD general design took a step back and since then has been building up again. as for styles well they need to make sure its still pleasing the kids not us

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Change and innovation is completely driven by the market.

I'll give the following, very simplified, look at the toy scene in the late 70s + 80s. Gi Joe / Action Man sales are damaged by the success of Kenner Star Wars toys and early G1 TFs - to compete GI Joe goes 3.5 inch and out performs Star Wars. Kenner competes by combining the GI Joe brand with the TF brand to produce M.A.S.K. When TF sales are slack compared to GI Joe Hasbro release Action Masters, ect, ect. The toy market is very canibalistic when it comes to ideas.

In a nutshell if a toy brand doesn't change it dies. Give a 5 year old G1 Starscream and Armada Starsream and its the latter toy he'll fall in love with. Personally I like the changes made, as long as the occasional doffing of the cap takes place towards G1.

A transformers fan not liking change is teh definition of irony.

True indeed.

I loved Classics because it featured classic Transformers in updated forms. It was Hasbro's gift to G1 fans becuase the movie designs were so different. I loved Prime because he was SO badass! I did not care for the Megatron toy much as it was bad but I do like how he is competely different from the other Megatrons.

All the movie designs are extremely realistic. Even when repainting older figures (the Target exclusives) Hasbro made sure to give them muted colorschemes so they would fit in with the rest of the movie line. I like those so much I bought them all (even paying $20 for Arcee!) even though I own the original figures. Heck I own Clocker 4 times and they are all worh it!* (The original GF version, the Cybertron version and Swerve.)

* Ok, Clocker not so much compared to the GF version -which looks better, especially the paint job- but I got him as the GF version was more expensive. Later I could get it loose at a decent price so à immedately got it.

I am really digging the movie figures anyways.

Not too sure about Animated yet but I DO like how they are going to do something COMPLETELY different! Of course I will buy the toys and of course I will love them once I get them. :tftongue

That is the best thing that Transformers have- the ability to change. Back in 1991 (or so) when Galoob made Micromachines which were a huge hit Hasbro countered by making microsized Transformers- the Micromasters! Guess who won that war? (Hint: Hasbro now OWNS Galoob.)

Other toylines cannot adapt and die out. Transformers can always adapt. If suddenly sci-fi is a huge hit with kids with space ships and such- all Transformers will be spacevehicles and starships. If they want Dinosaurs then we will most likely get that. :tftongue

I voted Change is good, as long as it's not extreme because I've grew to be too picky with my mechs/Transformers. I don't mind change long as its appealing to me. The reason I complaint about the movie designs for Megatron and Starscream is simply because they are on my "DO NOT WANT" list and not because they don't resemble their G1 counterparts at all. I just hate that monster/insect design they went for that seems to be the standard for villains on the mainstream public. The reason I like Transformers is because you can't tell good guys from bad guys because of the appearance and that is a good thing to me.

change is excellant when it's in a forward direction, like from armada to energon.... i can even take a sideways step, like cybertron to classics... the movie bots felt, to me, like a step backwards... they felt like the RID autobot brothers, which i love, but they are old design... yaeh they have automorph and aren't as shellformery but they just don't feel as satisfying

I agree that a lot of the movie bots had a RID feel to them, but since I thought that the line took huge step back from RID to Armada, I feel like the movie bots were finally a return to what Armada should've been, from a toy design standpoint.

I agree that a lot of the movie bots had a RID feel to them, but since I thought that the line took huge step back from RID to Armada, I feel like the movie bots were finally a return to what Armada should've been, from a toy design standpoint.

I'd actually argue that "step back" was probably a step in the right direction as far as the "you know, for kids" angle is concerned. I don't particularly like transforming the RID Autobots and I'm an adult.

i didn't like the rid bots at all and i love the movie bots. the rid bots where too shell formery and had way too much kibble in alt mode. well, kibble just hanging off of them. i hated how they looked a robot with car bits stuck on here or there, i really like it when the bot mode takes the alt mode kibble and uses it to form bits of the bots.

Archived