Post-TF Movie Analysis

Lord Madhammer

I was wondering if anyone else had been experiencing this...

I've been a big defender of the movie and just about everything to do with it ever since I first saw the first robot designs. And I totally loved the movie when I saw it on July 2nd. But the more I think about it, especially in light of what "Transformers" has meant to me over the years, the emptier the movie seems.

I would liken it to... the robot designs, actually. You look at one of them from a distance and your immediate impression is "whoa, that's awesome" (unless you thought they sucked). But the closer you get, the more you see holes and empty spaces, until you're left wondering how it all connects together, and even if it does at all, or if it's just smoke and mirrors. They spent all this time and effort trying to create realistic robots-that-transform-from-Earth-vehicles, but the final result is just a bunch of parts.

And that's how I feel about the movie now. It has some great parts. But it's held together by virtually nothing at all. And I'm not sure what the point of the whole thing was, to be honest. There's a lot of the movie that I could never see again, and I wouldn't miss it. Which is an odd feeling, because typically my favorite movies are ones that I could watch just about any scene from and think to myself "man, this movie freaking rules."

I could just be burned out on it. It's been such an all-consuming thing for Transformers fans for so long. But I also think the shine is starting to wear off the movie, and I'm seeing it less as a Transformers fan and more as just a regular guy. I love the CGI stuff, but at the end of the day it's just effects. And I'm finding myself more nostalgic for the simplicity of the original "Transformers" than I have been in a long time.

So anyway, that's all. I was just wondering if I was alone in this.

What's funny is that this was my initial reaction to the movie.

It was a lot of great Spielbergian moments and awesome looking action, held together by nonsense plot points, and many needless characters.

I said that originally on July 5th and got blasted for being "angsty." And to a large degree it stopped me from supporting that view anymore. After reading through this board a bit, it was obvious no matter how strong your arguments, you were gonna get swallowed by the fan boys, who had apparently just seen the second coming, while I was out at the theater hoping for a bit more.

Then, I went back several weeks later to see it again, now knowing full well what to expect, and enjoyed it much, much more.

Being able to recognize and thusly IGNORE the glaring flaws in the story, script and characters, I appreciated the moments that were good as being great.

I will buy the movie, and watch it a bunch. And just like I did when the Matrix came out on DVD, I'll probably skip to the last 30 minutes everytime.

I think IF YOU REALLY LOVE TRANSFORMERS watching this movie will be more like getting a fix than anything else. I mean, it is the first and only "LIVE ACTION" TFs we've got, and they did look MAGNIFICENT.

PS - I have AWESOME ideas for a sequel. Have they bought a new script yet?

I've learned to never again underestimate the power of Me Really Wanting Something To Be Good... I thought I was immune to that with this movie, but obviously I was wrong. I think I confused the quality of my initial viewing experience (which was truly awesome) with the film itself. I saw it on July 2nd and the theater was packed with people, all of whom clapped and cheered and laughed and went "oooh" in all the right moments. It was like the perfect screening audience. And I had a real blast... which does have value. But again, a big part of it was just going along for the ride with a bunch of people who were also having a great time. It was hard for me to accept people criticizing the movie, because my moviegoing experience had been so amazingly positive.

So basically what I'm trying to say is "sorry for being one of those people"...

I'm definitely going to be getting the movie when it comes out on DVD, although I don't really have a choice either way because my kids are crazy about it. I mean, yeah I really do love the bits with the robots, but I guess I ultimately find it hard to connect with the movie on an emotional level. And that's the difference between a good time at the movies and something that stays with me after the excitement dies down.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess I ultimately find it hard to connect with the movie on an emotional level. And that's the difference between a good time at the movies and something that stays with me after the excitement dies down.

This is the Golden Nugget of truth on this subject. Well said.

I guess I ultimately find it hard to connect with the movie on an emotional level. And that's the difference between a good time at the movies and something that stays with me after the excitement dies down.

This is the Golden Nugget of truth on this subject. Well said.

No, it's a Golden Nugget of opinion.

If you don't like the movie, that's fine. Like or dislike whatever you want. I don't care. Just don't parade your opinion as truth.

I would liken it to... the robot designs, actually. You look at one of them from a distance and your immediate impression is "whoa, that's awesome" (unless you thought they sucked). But the closer you get, the more you see holes and empty spaces, until you're left wondering how it all connects together, and even if it does at all, or if it's just smoke and mirrors. They spent all this time and effort trying to create realistic robots-that-transform-from-Earth-vehicles, but the final result is just a bunch of parts.

You have got to be sh*tting me.

Holy Blot. This is what I was thinking. Am I in the Twilight Zone.

Seriously, I loved the movie. It was a good experience. Watching it over and over or discussing it repeatedly is probably not suggested. Pete was a number 1," Movie designs and realisticness Rule All. Screw G1's cartoonyness" supporter. Just like the first time I saw Bumblebee's lifeless puppet pics on the web I saw that the movie bots were just like the cartoon, impossible. There is no way in hell that the robot designs in the movie could turn into perfect versions of of the vehicles they become. Number 1, their windshields and all glass completely disappear. Then vehicle parts completely shift to areas of the bodies that are totally impossible. Most of Blackout's kibble vanishes, Megs, Prime, Frenzy......I'm not even gonna go there

Seriously, I loved the movie. It was a good experience. Watching it over and over or discussing it repeatedly is probably not suggested.

Yeah, cuz if you watch it enough to see whats going on or Primus forbid THINK about it, you may notice that it's garabage with good effects.

Seriously, I loved the movie. It was a good experience. Watching it over and over or discussing it repeatedly is probably not suggested.

Yeah, cuz if you watch it enough to see whats going on or Primus forbid THINK about it, you may notice that it's garabage with good effects.

And this thread was so civil...ah, well, it was bound to happen.

Number 1, their windshields and all glass completely disappear. Then vehicle parts completely shift to areas of the bodies that are totally impossible. Most of Blackout's kibble vanishes, Megs, Prime, Frenzy......I'm not even gonna go there

I'll give you the glass, but that's about it.

And this thread was so civil...ah, well, it was bound to happen.

Ok, so I'm sarcastic. Sue me.

But a post trying to defend this lackluster movie saying something akin to "It was good, as long as you don't watch it multiple times or talk about it to much" (ie: put some thought into it) deserves a little :tflaugh

Archived