Transformers DVD/VCD

SureShot

OK, I've seen on ebay and other places where someone is selling The armada, seasons 1,2,3,4 and the movie on DVDs or VCD that "play in most DVD players".

Isn't this illegal? Aren't these copies of the actual thing? I'm guessing that Armada was taped off of TV... but the seasons are from the DVDs I'm sure.

Has anyone bought one of these "sets" and been happy with it? OR has anyone been burned? and what are your thoughts on this.

Most "region zero" disc are bootlegs. I've been burned, but not on TF's, just anime...

Here's a nice bootleg FAQ(deals with CB, but its very informative):

http://www.jazzmess.com/merch/bootlegfaq.html

It is illegal, it's wrong and I have never knowingly bought a bootleg. Main problem is a lot of the auction sites haven't done much to regulate it. But they aren't going anywhere and for fans on a buget....

Yes, they're illegal pirated copies. However, so long as no one posts any links of where to find them... all is good. :thumb

yeah, Lotsa bootlegs available near me. I have G1 season 2 on pressed bootlegs. Illegal yes. Quality is perfectly fine on most, though some have a messed up aspect ratio (widescreen movies like Initial D stretched improperly too fullscreen)

i got all of BW/BM on vcd on an auction, and other than the quality not being as good as a pro dvd i have no real complaints. i do want to mention that i fully intend to buy the leagal copies, i got the bootlegs for research perposes for fanfics and kitbashing, even though i paid next to nothibg for my copies, like $5-7, the people i bought it from really didnt make a profit once you think of the tape cost, cd cost electricity cost, shipping cost. and if you actually read that FBI warning at the begining of ne movie you buy, it says the illeagal selling or showing of the movie for a profit. so if there is no profit, there is no law being broken.

The way I saw it was the people that owned these VCD copies were not selling the material but they were selling the cost of handling it. Which makes the sale legal. Now some on an auction site, everyone knows which one, are listed for well over the handling cost as a starting bid. If they place the VCD copies for sale at what they believe is a legitimate handling cost, and the auction goes through the roof, they have no real way of controling this and are not heald liable for it.

Legal or not, it gives everybody the chance to see what they want to see without having to wait for a real company to distibute it.

If the company has a problem with it then they know that they need to get on the ball and get something out on the shelves or at least as an order able item if they feel it won't sell in stores.

I have a close friend who is into this latin singer but could not get every show she has done cos she's an overseas act. Luckly some one taped every show on this singer and transfered them to DVD (he's a real fan)

and sold copies on ebay. Companies were not willing to make the product so he did. Their loss her gain.

Now I thought I could just walk into the video store and rent a copr of the Beast Machines and well no one has made a video or DVD release of it.

So if I find one ebay I'll most likly get it. Companies loss will be my gain.

Lesson here:

Can't keep a customer happy by providing the goods he wants he'll just turn to ebay.

Thank the Universe for Ebay!

:clap :clap

While I agree with you completely, Skullfire (from a personal perspective anyways... i like my shows too :D), it is.. still illegal. And thus, the people/websites involved in it are still liable if they get caught. eBay seems to allow many get away with it-- though lately they've been clamping down more.

I think it's basically that most companies won't release something unless they see it'll be truely profitable. A few users pirating it off eBay isn't going to be enough money out of the cost of an official release to make it worthwhile: Box art, packaging, shipping, etc, etc, ad infinatum gets pretty expensive, and if they don't believe they'll make enough of a gain out of doing so... it won't happen.

Great here comes another rant from me!!!

Ok When ever these companies decide to actually in fact put money into providing these films to the public then I can agree some thing illegal is happening.

When the cost of the product actually excedes the cost of shipping then we have point that there is something illegal going on especialy something real unethical.

The companies that could be putting out the product are not losing money due to these bootleggs cos (outside of bad quality) these companies have not put any money into it (surprisingly enough).

Regulating EBAY is not good (I am very much against any form of regulating the internet).

It is nice to know that someone has provided people with access to these old shows for the cost of shipping. Ethical, the guy's not making a profit so technically speaking it's not illeagal. This is cool!!!!

Now the best answer would be to make downloadable film formats.

I prefer Quicktime over the Bittorrent.

By the way why are these energon/superlink on this crappy bitturrent.

Is there anybody doing quick time versions of these shows?

Guest Primal-Convoy

Although they are bad, sometimes, as with the case of many asian anime translated to america. the "bootlegs" available via either the internet as Downloads or as VCDs/DVDs are rather good. These "fan Dubs" are sometimes the ONLY or BETTER way to appreciate shows such as "beast Wars NEO/2nd" in English.

Of course, most fans would go and buy the official version at the drop of a hat...

Archived