Music Label Soundwave, Rumble, Frenzy Pictures/Review

Soundwave42

I received my Music Label Soundwave today and I must say it is a cool figure. It isn't quite as poseable as I would have liked, but overall the figure is nice.

I would like to apologize for the bad pictures. I had hoped to get some good shots, but the camera isn't that great for close-ups and the lighting in my house sucks since we are redoing the house and there is only one overhead light source in the living room.

First off let's take a look at the boxes for Soundwave and Rumble and Frenzy. As you can see they were made to resemble an iPod box. The material of the boxes even feels the same as the material used for an iPod box. I don't really know how to describe it, but for those of you that have an iPod, you know what I mean.

mlboxbackud6.jpg

mlboxfronten3.jpg

Once the box is opened for Soundwave you will find a few accessories. There are three different poses for his hands. One is a fist and the other two have his index finger opened slightly. The other two poses are almost the same, the only difference is his finger is slightly stretched out more in the third pose. It would have been better if his hand were open completely or pointing. Either that or just make individual fingers of course. The other accessories included are his "Wave Bluster" and his "Electric Launcher". The bad thing about each of these is their names are actually written on the weapons. I've been collecting Transformers since the '80's and I've never seen one with the name of the weapon printed on it. It seems weird to me. The only other accessory included in the box is a pair of white ear buds similar to those included with an iPod. Those aren't pictured here.

mlaccessorieswn6.jpg

Soundwave is packed in his cassette mode. There is a blue light that blinks when Soundwave is turned on and either ready to play an MP3 or already playing an MP3.

mllightoe0.jpg

Headphones or speakers plug into the top of Soundwave. This is also the same hole you stick the "Electric Launcer" into when Soundwave is transformed into robot mode. The cord for the Rumble and Frenzy headphones is shorter on the left side so that the cord will hang down to your side rather than in the middle of your neck. This is kind of annoying in my opinion. The sound quality is ok, but not as good as the headphones I normally use.

mlheadphonesqg1.jpg

Soundwave's robot mode is actually pretty nice looking compared to recent attempts at bringing him back to modern Transformers toys. Transformation from cassette mode to robot mode is similar to the G1 Soundwave. The biggest difference is with the head. You simply slide a little panel ontop of Soundwave backward and then his head pops out. The other difference is after you transform the legs you slide the shoulders forward rather than rotating them to the front as you do with the G1 Soundwave.

mltransformedku3.jpg

Soundwave isn't quite as poseable as I would have liked. His arms are fine, but his legs are a bit on the rigid side when it comes to posing.

mlposesg1.jpg

Soundwave looks pretty cool when posed with Rumble and Frenzy though. Rumble and Frenzy aren't very poseable, but they look fine when posed by Soundwave. If you look at this image closely you'll see that Soundwave's cassette door is open. This is where the memory card goes.

mlsoundrumfrenzus0.jpg

Here is a comparison shots of Music Label Soundwave to other versions of Soundwave in cassette mode.

mlcasscomppw1.jpg

Here is a comparison shot of Music Label Soundwave to other versions of Soundwave in robot mode. In the front row from left to right they are: Robot Heroes Soundwave, WST Soundwave, and Heroes of Cybertron Soundwave. In the middle row from left to right are: Titanium Soundwave, Music Label Soundwave, TRU Reissue Soundwave. In the back row from left to right are: Palisades Soundwave 6" Statue and Galaxy Force Soundwave (he didn't really show up in the picture).

mlgroupxw6.jpg

Soundwave doesn't include a battery or a memory card. Soundwave requires 1 AAA size battery and a Mini SD memory card. Here is a picture of three different sized memory cards to show you which size you need. The memory card in the middle is the Mini size, which is the size you need. The other two are normal sized and micro sized. You can buy the micro sized card if you get the adapter set like I have in the picture below. Since I reached my limit of pictures per post I'll just include a link to the picture of the memory cards.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/1139/memcardscv1.jpg

Overall the figure aspect of Soundwave is pleasing. Rumble and Frenzy leave a little to be desired, but they are really just there to complete the package of Soundwave.

The only thing I haven't really touched on here is the MP3 player aspect of Soundwave. As far as MP3 players goes, this isn't anything to write home about. The best thing about Music Label Soundwave when it comes to the MP3 player is the fact that you can play MP3's in cassette mode and robot mode. Other than that the player has a play/pause button (which also doubles as the on/off button), a skip forwards button and a skip backwards button, and volume up button and a volume down button. There is no shuffle mode or anything like that, just a bare bones MP3 player. The order you put the music on the memory card is the order you have to listen to it in unless you use the skip. The bad thing about this is if you import an entire CD and one song gets put on the memory card out of order, then it will play out of order. Even if you move the files around on the memory card and order them, they will play in the order they were originally added to the memory card. The only real fix for this is to add the files one at a time to ensure they are put on the memory card in the order you want to listen to them.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... I like how I asked the question without looking at the paragraph in front of it.

Heh.

Actually, I edited that paragraph after you asked the question because I figured other people would wonder about them as well. So the answer to your question wasn't there originally. :tfgrin

Thank you SO MUCH for including a pic of the memory card that is required. :)

I am waiting on my Soundwave to arrive, and for someone who is as technically challenged as I am it really helps to know what type of card to buy.

Again... thanks! :)

the whole playing out of order thing... try putting a number as the first few characters of the file and see if that helps. i've heard of going by order first instead of file name (this is how my car radio skips albums), but sometimes it helps.

oh yea, was i correct in saying that the whole 128kbps thing is just a formality to estimate how long the battery life is?

Soundwave requires 1 AAA size battery...

Whoa whoa whoa, here... I've heard he requires three <3> triple a batteries from a different review. What's the deal? One or three?

And I believe buddykiller already brought up the question in other said topic > about the aspect of ML Soundwave playing through a vehicle's stereo system: is it at possible at all? Someday I'm going to get an updated music system for my vehicle and would like to have the option of plugging Soundy into it for quick trips and personal favorite songs instead of lugging around a handful of CD's or tapes.

Soundwave requires 1 AAA size battery...

Whoa whoa whoa, here... I've heard he requires three <3> triple a batteries from a different review. What's the deal? One or three?

And I believe buddykiller already brought up the question in other said topic > about the aspect of ML Soundwave playing through a vehicle's stereo system: is it at possible at all? Someday I'm going to get an updated music system for my vehicle and would like to have the option of plugging Soundy into it for quick trips and personal favorite songs instead of lugging around a handful of CD's or tapes.

most good car stereos have an aux in, all you do is buy/make an adapter that changes from headphone to composite and set your volume on your pariphiral to med.

for anybody wanting to do this, it'd be nice if he had ipod hook ups though, instant interface.

however, you do raise another point, does he have DC in?

Archived