Got ML Soundwave today......

Kurosaki Ichigo

:tfsad I can't get my ML SW to play. There's a fresh battery in there and a SD card with mp3's formatted to 128 kbps. What am I doing wrong? Did I just get a bum Soundwave whose electronics don't work? Do the mp3's need to be formatted a certain way on the card? If anyone has any suggestions please help! :tfsad

Fixed!

You might check how you have the files named. Do they have .mp3 extensions? Do they have filenames longer than the 8.3 length allowed by DOS? (I'm not sure that would be a problem, but you might test it out, though it would suck to have to rename all your files.)

Did it come with any instructions? I read Japanese if you have some Japanese instructions.

You might check how you have the files named. Do they have .mp3 extensions? Do they have filenames longer than the 8.3 length allowed by DOS? (I'm not sure that would be a problem, but you might test it out, though it would suck to have to rename all your files.)

Did it come with any instructions? I read Japanese if you have some Japanese instructions.

Yeah, they all have mp3 extensions. I'll try renaming some though and try one at a time. The thing that bothers me is that I can get no sign at all of the electronics working. Here's a scan of the instructions. I really appreciate the help!

MLSWInstructions.jpg

so, the 128kbps limit is actually existent?

ugh

if thats the case, make sure they're in fact encoded at 128CBR and not 128 AVG VBR as i would think that a player that neutered would lack the capability of supporting vbr.

double check and make sure that the files are actually on the memcard. make sure you've got the memcard in properly.

have you dropped it?

can you access the interface?

try the headphones and batteries in other stuff and make sure it isn't them.

not calling you dumb man, just trying to do a basic trouble shooting rundown....

oh yea, some mp3 players that use cards (and cds) will Blot a brick if an mp3 isn't the very first file they see, to solve this make sure windows didn't place a thumb.db on the card. you'll have to make hidden files viewable, you can do this in folder options in windows. also, try taking the mp3s out of folders or un-nest the folders and see if that helps.

These are going to be "No, Duh" questions, but I'll ask anyways.

Did you have the volume up?

Did you have the headphones plugged all the way in

Do your headphones have independent volume control?

Are your batteries facing the proper polarities?

Weird Question

Are you using AAA or AAAA batteries? (I hear AAA fits the slot but AAAA has been surfacing lately for some electronics)

Good idea. I had no idea that it was so complicated to get a music file to play.

Well the headphones work, and I'm trying different batteries now in different devices to see which one has a better charge. I'm gonna mess around with the files for a while and see what the deal is.

The only volume control is on SW, the batteries are AAA but I'm starting to wonder if the charger is messing up, I dunno if they're CBR or VBR and not really sure how to tell anyways. Thanks for the advice you guys. I'll just keep messing with it until I can say for sure it's broken or if I'm just a little on the slow side!

Well, unfortunately the instructions don't mention the file format or anything like that. I might suggest making sure you fomatted the SD card in FAT16 format and not FAT32. Some devices are picky about that kind of thing.

Ok, so now I just have an angry letter to write to energizer for their crappy batteries. I did some scrounging and found some AAA's with a full charge, turns out the rechargeables I bought don't work and won't even charge, and the others I swiped from a remote were on the brink of death but managed to hold enough of a charge to operate the remote but not SW. I apologize for all of the trouble, but I finally got SW working. I really appreciate all of the help you guys gave me!

Archived