What makes a collection "World Known"?

ErikB

My friend the other day jokingly refered to my collection as the world famous TotS collection and though I didn't correct him (lol) it did make me think: What truely makes a collection World Known, Fandom Known (same thing as world known in this case?), slightly known or just a blip in the dark?

For me when I thnik of famous collections a few pop in my mind instantly: DJ Soundwaves, Remys, The famous Prime collection, and Unicron.com to name a few.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What makes it "matter?"

I think when something like a huge TF collection becomes popular to the general public, it becomes a point of freakdom to them.

Guest ultraprime

my collection :)

nah

i think it all goes down to how complete and how rare it is..... Like my collection :D

so if you want a rare collection and your collection to stand out.

you need lucky draws, prototypes, loose, misb, AFA and such as my collection :)... can you tell im having fun?

Harold Tietjens - the guy's collection is complete as complete can be... in triplicate. He also co-authored the "Cybertronian Index: Unofficial Recognition Guide" books with Doug Dlin -- the photos of all those Transformers toys and accessories were from his collection.

The only collection I know of that would outdo Harold's is Takara's private collection (as photographed in Transformers Generations (Deluxe)). But Harold's is by far the most impressive collection belonging to an individual private collector that I know of.

Simple, if its known around the world :P

Guest ultraprime
I cant could ErikB or UltraPrime as "World Known" in my book. To me the following are:

The Hartmanns

Elvin Pena

Remy

Lio Kaiser vs DJ Soundwave

you added Elvin Pena?? why? even with his lucky draws many people still had more Primes then he had.

The hartmanns are gone and everybody else have a regular collection.

Like i said having a complete collection means nothing special because anyone can do it.

Now going after and hunting for for rare items and braging about it is the key to WORLD KNOWN :).

I HAVE THE BEST PRIME COLLECTION

Guest ultraprime

I have a clear Prime with trailer but promise not to show pics or brag about it :(

...................maybe one day

Yeah but, I know of other Transfans who have a Prime collection that rivals yours AND they collect other Transformers too! As you said so yourself, your Prime collection is massive because that's the focus of your collection.

You have completists who would have every version of Prime that you have, plus every other Transformer out there. Heck, I know one guy who also collects all the Diaclone Convoys (as you do) AND he collects all the other Transformers. He had to have a separate shed constructed in his back yard JUST to house his collection! (it's his own private museum)

Unless I was someone like Harold Tietjens, Doug Dlin or Dave Van Domelan... I would be really hesitant in claiming to have the "best collection in the world" because quite frankly, there's always gonna be someone better out there...

I'm on about 1070 Transformers atm (according to the survey poll system of counting - which would disclude all your Diaclones, because they're NOT Transformers) and some non-fans who see my collection do ask me if it's complete... I tell them that it's not, but that my collection is above average size amongst collectors. I think that's a good way of saying yes, I have a large collection, but at the same time humble and realistic enough to know that it's not the biggest.

Do you have the gold MP Convoy and gold-chromed G1 Convoy?

Archived