'Formers in the movie - SPOILERS

While the movie is good and all, there is an issue I have with how easily all the transformers seem to die. Or more accurately, how easily they are hurt by human weapons. Some of them make sense, but others don't at all. To be fair, let's give a rundown of these instances:

1. When scorponok fights the troops, they have to send 2 vollys of helicopter missiles at him. First they use regular ones, and he's still going, then they use bigger missiles and scorponok is finally wounded enough to run away. Seeing as scorponok is just a pet/minion thing and still took this much human firepower to fend off, this made perfect sense to me. No problem here.

2. Frenzy getting hacked apart by an old electric saw, however, doesn't make any sense. I know he's the tiny/weak/spy/hacker of the 'cons, but he's still a freaking deceptacon that got shot by guns and shrugged it off. Futuristic alien metals aside, even if he was just made of plain iron bars that saw wouldn't have done Blot to him and instead it cuts through him like butter. That struck me as wrong.

3. Prime vs. Bonecrusher and Jazz vs. Megatron: as much as the losers of these fights got owned (especially jazz), these do make sense because they're alien robot vs. alien robot, and one of them is the big, badass leader of their group. So while they are shortlived they are logical.

4. Bumblebee gets his legs blown off by one missile, but it's a deceptacon missile so I guess that makes sense.

5. At first it seems like brawl went down way to easily, but if you think about it, it does make sense. He may be a big ol' tank and all but he did get ganged up on by 3 autobots at once and he still got up again before they took him down. It makes sense but it still sucks that something as cool as a tank gets to be "that bad guy who's there just to get killed off."

6. Blackout's death. THIS is the one thing that really pissed me off and is the main reason I'm making this topic. I mean, blackout was the one who ripped apart a whole military base by himself and was tossing tanks around like rag dolls. His minion took about a dozen missiles just to scare away and Blackout is obviously way more powerful than his little pet, and how does he die? FROM ONE HUMAN WITH A GRENADE GUN. WTF!? What kind of a ripoff is that? Blackout isn't even doing anything when it happens, either. (In fact, blackout has dissapointingly little to do in the final battle. He shows up at the start of the movie, then disappears until halfway through the final fight where he shoots at ironhide a bit then runs away then comes back later like "oh yeah, I have to die now".) It's not like "the evil robot monster has the human hero in a corner and is just about to kill him when the hero finds a clever way to kill the robot", and while that is rather cliche, as long as it was done well it would still be better than what happened, which is that blackout is just walking along while the human comes up behind him on a motorcycle, jumps off of it and slides under him, fires 2 shots from a grenade gun at him and that's it, blackout is gone. Not just down, but freaking DEAD. What the Blot is up with that? This especially pissed me off because blackout is my favorite transformer from the movie. Needless to say I felt jipped.

But anyway, what do you guys think about this?

In the movie, they discover while examining the point where Scorponok's tail is not self regenerating, sabot rounds are what hit that area. Now how accurate to real life it is I don't know, but in the movie at least, they say the sabot rounds use magnesium heated to nearly 6000 degrees. So they conclude that these things (referring to the Transformers) are vulnerable to extreme heat (which makes sense since IRL metals and electronics would fry in heat of that temperature, and also because we see they're also vulnerable to extreme cold (i.e. Megatron frozen in the Arctic Circle)). Also, when Lennox fired at Blackout's chest, he was probably doing so thinking that like most bipeds, the vital areas are the torso and head. So he went with the chest and something when hit probably started a chain reaction cause of the heat that resulted in said mild explosion of the body. Why Brawl just fell over and dropped dead was due in part because of his assault from Ironhide/Ratchet/Jazz, the sabot rounds and human weapons, and then a final spurr of blast from Bumblebee being pulled by Mikaela.

So that should answer your questions about the human weapons and how they were used effectivly against the Decepticons.

Now for the Prime vs. Bonecrusher situation. Both Bonecrusher and Prime's swords are made of metal, but Prime's sword, like a real sword, is probably made of a denser material which makes it easy to cut through the metal of Bonecrusher like a real sword can cut through skin, muscle and bone.

And this brings me to my point about Frenzy. Not being much in the warrior department, his metallic makeup is probably not as dense as the other TFs. Plus, there are certain types of saws and tools that can cut through metal. The type that Mikaela was wielding when she decapitated him I don't know.

A sabot round will indeed Powerglide up anyones day.

And might I suggest that it was a Tungsten saw? Strongest metal known to man and designed to shred anything.

Oh and regarding Prime's sword, it's super-heated. You can tell from the way the sword glows orange-red when he whips it out and later it cools down.

As for Blackout, he kinda got nailed by multiple missles, apart from the "critical" hit by Capt.Lennox. In the earlier base attack scene, apart from no one having Sabot rounds equipped, Blackout got the jump on everyone so there wasn't really much resistance.

Too bad he never saw the jets coming, he could've used his EMP shockwave probably to do something, maybe mess the missle guidance up a bit?

Captain Lennox hit Blackout with a hand-held version of a Sabot round, not a grenade. And it was basically the straw that broke the camel's back.

As others have mentioned, the humans were using uranium-depleted Sabot rounds which generate heat in excess of 3000 degrees C, the kind of temperatures experienced in the atomic blast in Hiroshima.

i personally enjoyed the fact that the humans weren't portrayed as just "helpless creatures" rather these humans weren't afraid to lay it all on the line no matter the cost. I can't express how impressed I was with John Voights role as SecDef I was kind of afraid that he would be in the movie for all of fifteen minutes and then he would be killed off in some half-arsed manner.

As for them all dying too easily, I figure Bay & Co had to do this mainly because if they were to have made a movie in which autobots/decipticons took an arse load of punishment, got up, groaned a few painful sentences and then in the next scene have them walking around as if nothing had happened, a lot of movie goers outside of Transfandom would've probably thought that to be extraordinarily stupid.

I don't recall Blackout getting hit by anything other than lennox's shots, but I'll have to watch for that the next time I see it. Even so, he did dissapointingly little in the final battle for being the guy who was so badass in the beginning of the movie. As far as human weaponry, the whole heat thing is fine, and while SABOT rounds (made from depleted uranium) are primarily standard tank ammunition and as far as I know I've never heard of SABOT missiles on aircraft, I'm pretty damn sure that there is NO SUCH THING in todays military as a hand-held SABOT gun small enough to be easily wielded by one person as though it were a shotgun. As far as I could tell that weapon was a grenade gun of sorts. If all else fails, though, I can get my dad to see the movie and ask him about it since he's in the military and knows all this stuff for sure.

Frenzy may not be as powerful as the other robots but that guy was pretty vicious the way he killed all those humans, what with his machine gun hands and CD ninja stars. It's pretty clear he isn't afraid to kick some ass as long as it's the same size as him. I know that there are metal cutting saws, but as far as I know that thing wasn't one of them since it looked a little lightweight to be a metal saw, and even if it was you would still have to apply some force for a while to slowly cut through the metal. She just waved it around like a flyswatter and Frenzy fell apart like he was made of tinfoil. And this is all assuming he isn't made of some fancy alien metal superior to our earth crap. It's not a big deal, I know, but it just didn't feel right to me. But then again, neither did the fact that Frenzy didn't just kill Sam in 3 seconds like he did all those secret service guys shortly before. What, was he out of CD ammo or something? Oh, wait, sams's the main character so nothing bad ever really happens to him, that's right. :P

I don't recall Blackout getting hit by anything other than lennox's shots, but I'll have to watch for that the next time I see it. Even so, he did dissapointingly little in the final battle for being the guy who was so badass in the beginning of the movie. As far as human weaponry, the whole heat thing is fine, and while SABOT rounds (made from depleted uranium) are primarily standard tank ammunition and as far as I know I've never heard of SABOT missiles on aircraft, I'm pretty damn sure that there is NO SUCH THING in todays military as a hand-held SABOT gun small enough to be easily wielded by one person as though it were a shotgun. As far as I could tell that weapon was a grenade gun of sorts. If all else fails, though, I can get my dad to see the movie and ask him about it since he's in the military and knows all this stuff for sure.

They explain in the movie at the S7 Hoover Dam base that the handheld guns have been refitted with small sabot-like rounds. So that's what Lennox uses later.

they will return in movie two

Frenzy may not be as powerful as the other robots but that guy was pretty vicious the way he killed all those humans, what with his machine gun hands and CD ninja stars. It's pretty clear he isn't afraid to kick some ass as long as it's the same size as him. I know that there are metal cutting saws, but as far as I know that thing wasn't one of them since it looked a little lightweight to be a metal saw, and even if it was you would still have to apply some force for a while to slowly cut through the metal. She just waved it around like a flyswatter and Frenzy fell apart like he was made of tinfoil. And this is all assuming he isn't made of some fancy alien metal superior to our earth crap. It's not a big deal, I know, but it just didn't feel right to me. But then again, neither did the fact that Frenzy didn't just kill Sam in 3 seconds like he did all those secret service guys shortly before. What, was he out of CD ammo or something? Oh, wait, sams's the main character so nothing bad ever really happens to him, that's right. :P

To add to what DMV2 said, The saw Mikela used is for cutting metal. Remember, that fight took place in a junk yard. A place like that would definately have saws designed for cutting metal. As for why Frenzy didn't kill Sam? That is easy. The Decepticons wanted the glasses Sam owned, and needed him alive in order to get them. Frenzy was trying to capture and interrogate him as Barricade had tried to do earlier.

Archived