Classics Continues

masterminicon

Too bad about Alternators though. Again the issue with that line, for me, was the plethora of repaints. I mean there are SOOO many more car makes and models out there. Would have been nice to see Sunstreaker as an actual Lambour rather than a Viper. If a little known Chinese toy maker can pull it off I'm sure that Hasbro could.

Volkswagen, Porsche, Ferrari, Bugatti, and Lamborghini are all part of the European car conglomerate that doesn't want TFs made of their cars. Hasbro couldn't legally make a Lambo.

Well, they clearly did with RiD Prowl who was a Lamborghini Diablo. I don't know if it was all the European car companies that didn't say yes. I was under the impression that it was the German based companys due to them wanting to avoid being associated with war.

Now, in regards to the TiTFs WWi style. I'd like them to do a full fledged WWi line in the normal plastic. They already designed Prime, Megatron, Thundercracker, Prowl and Grimlock. Now lets do the others. I want my WWi Lightning Strike Coalition, my WWi combiners, my WWi Wreckers, my WWi Predacons...I think people can see where I'm going with this.

As for Classics, well, I'd like to see the rest of the Dinobots (all done in a similar style to Grimlock since the original Dinobots were all done in a similar style), some NEW combiners, not just repaints of bad molds (looks at Classics Devastator that was never bought), Trailbreaker, Ironhide, Prowl, Ratchet, Jazz, Arcee, Kup, some Autobot triple changers, and would it kill them to make a base playset, like an Ark, or a generic one that be used for both factions, or one thing that can have two different sides (one side is Autobot, and the reverse is Decepticon).

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Too bad about Alternators though. Again the issue with that line, for me, was the plethora of repaints. I mean there are SOOO many more car makes and models out there. Would have been nice to see Sunstreaker as an actual Lambour rather than a Viper. If a little known Chinese toy maker can pull it off I'm sure that Hasbro could.

Volkswagen, Porsche, Ferrari, Bugatti, and Lamborghini are all part of the European car conglomerate that doesn't want TFs made of their cars. Hasbro couldn't legally make a Lambo.

I blame Hitler for this. Its because of him that Volkswagen wont associate themselves with 'war toys'.

QUOTE(RUMBLEBEE @ Jul 5 2007, 01:22 AM)

I still cn't believe Hasbro's stance about not releasing the other Seekers. Didn't want to "saturate the market with six similar molds" (TFormers.com Thrust review). Damn them. I don't think that the higher ups actually know how wildly popular and profitable the Seekers would have been. Or is it the old shobiz addage of "leave 'em wantin' more" ?

You do realize that the kids (yes kids) who are buying these don't want six of the same thing right. There is a reason that at the end any classics set up at a store was clogged with Ramjets and the Skywarps had to be clearanced just to get rid of them.

Ocassionally a multi-million dollar toy exec knows slightly more about business than you.

I'm pretty sure I messed up those quote tags, but whatever. The difference here is that seeker repaints DO clog the shelves, and stores know this. However, Titaniums and Alternators do not, and never did, with the exception of over-produced or truly terrible figures like Ricochet and Cobra Megs. Every time a new Alternator was released it would be sold out nationwide within days, and many (most) became so rare that they were never found in brick and mortar stores by the average consumer. The only Alternators that ever warmed a shelf were a few repaints that sucked in the first place and Hasbro GROSSLY overproduced. The same is true for Titaniums, only to a larger degree. There were never really any shelfwarming Titaniums, with the exception of Megs, and only in certain stores. For the most part these things literally flew off the shelves. It also bears repeating that - like Alternators before them - Titaniums were impossible to keep in stock at online stores, and consistantly sold out immediately.

The point is they sold well. Now contrast this with the 100,000 Marvel Titaniums that are currently clogging the shelves at every Wal-Mart and Target from here to eternity. Why would stores opt to cancel a product line that sells like hotcakes, only to replace it with a similar product that doesn't move. The fact that they seem to have purchased them in enormous bulk quantities makes it even more perplexing.

Well, they clearly did with RiD Prowl who was a Lamborghini Diablo. I don't know if it was all the European car companies that didn't say yes. I was under the impression that it was the German based companys due to them wanting to avoid being associated with war.

It's really only a couple of years ago (i.e. probably after RiD) that Volkswagen refused to be a part of TF. (One could infer that it's a form of protest against the Iraq war.) And VW either owns or is partners with the other companies I mentioned (and a couple more), so they all pretty much have to agree.

Not ALL European cars are part of it. But the ones you'd want to make a TF out of...well, those are all pretty much off limits now except for, um, Jaguar.

I still cn't believe Hasbro's stance about not releasing the other Seekers. Didn't want to "saturate the market with six similar molds" (TFormers.com Thrust review). Damn them. I don't think that the higher ups actually know how wildly popular and profitable the Seekers would have been. Or is it the old shobiz addage of "leave 'em wantin' more" ?

You do realize that the kids (yes kids) who are buying these don't want six of the same thing right. There is a reason that at the end any classics set up at a store was clogged with Ramjets and the Skywarps had to be clearanced just to get rid of them.

Ocassionally a multi-million dollar toy exec knows slightly more about business than you.

:fire :stone

I'm pretty sure I messed up those quote tags, but whatever. The difference here is that seeker repaints DO clog the shelves, and stores know this. However, Titaniums and Alternators do not, and never did, with the exception of over-produced or truly terrible figures like Ricochet and Cobra Megs. Every time a new Alternator was released it would be sold out nationwide within days, and many (most) became so rare that they were never found in brick and mortar stores by the average consumer. The only Alternators that ever warmed a shelf were a few repaints that sucked in the first place and Hasbro GROSSLY overproduced. The same is true for Titaniums, only to a larger degree. There were never really any shelfwarming Titaniums, with the exception of Megs, and only in certain stores. For the most part these things literally flew off the shelves. It also bears repeating that - like Alternators before them - Titaniums were impossible to keep in stock at online stores, and consistantly sold out immediately.

The point is they sold well. Now contrast this with the 100,000 Marvel Titaniums that are currently clogging the shelves at every Wal-Mart and Target from here to eternity. Why would stores opt to cancel a product line that sells like hotcakes, only to replace it with a similar product that doesn't move. The fact that they seem to have purchased them in enormous bulk quantities makes it even more perplexing.

The thing is that the Seekers were primarily a collectors item. Maybe not an Ultra Magnus/ Skywarp set wouldn't have done too well package Skywarp, Thundercracker, Thrust and Dirge in a fourpack and tell me that you would have any on the shelvs. These guys would have went fllllying! I may not know a lot about business but I can tell you I do know that with correct marketing and packaging, they would have been so wildly popular AND one of the best collectable items that could have been put out by Hasbro.

The ONLY reason the stores can't move Walmart exclusive Devastator right now is because the "super intelligent" higher ups didn't THINK about what the best product for the consumer would be and in the end, isn't it about what the consumer wants?

I end my rant here. Sorry guys. I know it's uncool but Geez!

Nothing against you Sertile, that Elrod just agried up my blood. ^_^

I blame Hitler for this. Its because of him that Volkswagen wont associate themselves with 'war toys'.

But that makes me wonder though...Is Happywell producing the Lambor Road Bots without permission then? IF not then what makes them different than Hasbro and TFs? They are still bots with guns and weapons etc. IF they had a cartoon or movie they would be duking and shooting it out with eachother. :tfhuh

The thing is that the Seekers were primarily a collectors item. Maybe not an Ultra Magnus/ Skywarp set wouldn't have done too well package Skywarp, Thundercracker, Thrust and Dirge in a fourpack and tell me that you would have any on the shelvs. These guys would have went fllllying! I may not know a lot about business but I can tell you I do know that with correct marketing and packaging, they would have been so wildly popular AND one of the best collectable items that could have been put out by Hasbro.

The ONLY reason the stores can't move Walmart exclusive Devastator right now is because the "super intelligent" higher ups didn't THINK about what the best product for the consumer would be and in the end, isn't it about what the consumer wants?

I end my rant here. Sorry guys. I know it's uncool but Geez!

Nothing against you Sertile, that Elrod just agried up my blood. ^_^

Actually, you're right. I'm under the impression that the RM Seekers sold well on ehobby and other online stores. They could have at least made them available on HTS. They just needed to be marketed properly to the collector's market, which UM and Skywarp were not.

What collector DOESN'T know about the UMvsSW set??? They can't give them away here. Half price & piled up gathering dust. Time to face the truth collector-dudes: We are worth NOTHING to Hasbro.

Volkswagen, Porsche, Ferrari, Bugatti, and are all part of the European car conglomerate that doesn't want TFs made of their cars. Hasbro couldn't legally make a Lambo.

Volksvagen, Porsche, Bugatti and Lamborghini are all part of the same company - which doesn't want Transformers.

Ferrari is a no-go because Mattel has an exclusive licence to make Ferrari toys. If the Mattel license didn't exist, I suppose it's possible that there could have been a Ferrari Alt.

Oh, and Jaguar is owned by Ford.

But that makes me wonder though...Is Happywell producing the Lambor Road Bots without permission then?

Yep.

HasTak didn't originally have licences for the CR/RID car brothers either, which is why the RID version of X-Brawn (Mercedes) is a bit different than the CR version and why they had to get the license from Dodge for the red release of Sideburn. I guess Prowl didn't infringe enough to bother securing a license (or Lambo didn't complain).

Archived