THE OFFICIAL TRANSFORMERS MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

Haggisjin

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jazz's voice was too much on the caricature side. Who the hell did that voice?. Breakdancing and awkard use of slang.

Jazz was a bad afro-American stereotype in the G1 cartoon too - it's just that movie Jazz's caricature has been updated - I liked how he sat on the car and folded his arms in that kind of "represent"/"fo shizzle" kinda pose. Word. ;)

With that said, why did he have to die? But he went out like a trooper.

It's called WAR.

Transformers died plenty in G1 too, don't forget. Speaking of which, watching it the second time I noticed that during the scene on Cybertron you can actually see Transformers (presumably Autobots) hung upside down in the background... a neat tribute to "Are All Dead." Shockwave would be proud. :)

Speaking of TF deaths, here's some irony...

Jazz - survived G1 movie, killed in current movie.

Brawl - survived G1 movie events (not seen in movie but appeared in post-movie seasons, hence presumably survived said events), killed in current movie

Optimus Prime - killed in G1 movie, survived in current movie

Megatron - survived and revived in G1 movie, killed in current movie

Ironhide - killed in G1 movie, survived current movie

Ratchet - killed in G1 movie, survived in current movie

Bonecrusher - survived G1 movie, killed in current movie

Starscream - killed in G1 movie, survived current movie

Hearing Prime say "My bad" just didn't feel right. I think that was Prime.

I loved that line, as it established two things:

1. Reminding the audience that they did indeed learn to speak Earth's languages from the internet, thus using internet slang like "my bad."

2. Reminding the audience that these are ALIEN life forms (and that English is not their first language), hence they will make socio-linguistic faux pas like that.

Is it me or were there some loose ends. I get that Starscream escaped. I can't remember what happened to one of my favorites, Barricade. Did he get wasted? Was he even in the final battle? There was so much going on. I assume that Scorpinok is still on the loose.

Yeah, Barricade and Scorponok are MIA, so they could potentially appear in the next movie. I can't remember if Frenzy was finished or not either...

All said and done, I will be seeing this a dozen times.

I've noticed that all the critical comments people have made about this movie have been over really trivial stuff - nothing hugely important. It's way different from the G1 movie where they were massively huge glaring errors, not to mention being incomprehensible to a non-fan audience.

I recently bought the widescreen special edition of TFTM and I was watching the audio commentary, and it was interesting that right from the beginning, the commentator warns the audience that the commentary is going to be full of Transformer jargon which non-fans may find confusing and difficult to follow along, although he would to explain all the terms he was using as he went along - and a significant proportion of the commentary was spent explaining terminology (such as "FIRRIB") etc. - which just goes to show just how utterly confusing this movie is for non-fans.

Yesterday I was at a queue at OfficeWorks and there were these two young (and rather hot) girls behind me (and my wife... so no, I didn't hit onto those girls - er, not that I would! Moving along now...) were talking about the Transformers movie and how much they enjoyed it. From the way they spoke, it was clear that they new Powerglide all about Transformers outside of what they'd seen from the movie... but it was great to hear two clearly complete NON-fans who thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

Try finding a non-fan who would enjoy the G1 movie... (-_-)

Haven't seen it yet, but I have to ask you guys- how was Weaving's portrayal of Megatron? What did his voice sound like?

Fap-worthy. :P

Weaving >>> Welker!

My favourite Megatron line is the one in my signature (which he says just seconds before the moments in that clip). ;)

afaik Weaving's been the first (and currently only) Australian to have played a Transformer. Of course, there are two Aussies in the movie, the other being Rachel Taylor who plays Maggie - and Bay actually allowed her to retain her Australian accent instead of having her put on an American accent. Apparently Maggie was originally written to be an American, but when Taylor auditioned for the role, Bay decided to change the character to being an Australian, allowing her to keep her natural accent.

Speaking of Aussies and Transformers, I recently found out that the Classics were designed by an Australian - who is apparently also the only Westerner working for Takara atm. Australia.gif

Also, Jazz death, and Ratchet's willingness to jump into battle made clear that this really was an all-out war. There are no back-ups, no reinforcements, nothing like that. It's all out, now or never, all or nothing (and more of such phrases). In G1, Ratchet could be a pacifist, because there were so many soldiers, medical staff would be able to be involved without actually seeing direct battle. Here, no such option.

Jazz's voice was too much on the caricature side. Who the hell did that voice?. Breakdancing and awkard use of slang.

Jazz was a bad afro-American stereotype in the G1 cartoon too - it's just that movie Jazz's caricature has been updated - I liked how he sat on the car and folded his arms in that kind of "represent"/"fo shizzle" kinda pose. Word. ;)

With that said, why did he have to die? But he went out like a trooper.

It's called WAR.

Transformers died plenty in G1 too, don't forget. Speaking of which, watching it the second time I noticed that during the scene on Cybertron you can actually see Transformers (presumably Autobots) hung upside down in the background... a neat tribute to "Are All Dead." Shockwave would be proud. :)

Speaking of TF deaths, here's some irony...

Jazz - survived G1 movie, killed in current movie.

Brawl - survived G1 movie events (not seen in movie but appeared in post-movie seasons, hence presumably survived said events), killed in current movie

Optimus Prime - killed in G1 movie, survived in current movie

Megatron - survived and revived in G1 movie, killed in current movie

Ironhide - killed in G1 movie, survived current movie

Ratchet - killed in G1 movie, survived in current movie

Bonecrusher - survived G1 movie, killed in current movie

Starscream - killed in G1 movie, survived current movie

Hearing Prime say "My bad" just didn't feel right. I think that was Prime.

I loved that line, as it established two things:

1. Reminding the audience that they did indeed learn to speak Earth's languages from the internet, thus using internet slang like "my bad."

2. Reminding the audience that these are ALIEN life forms (and that English is not their first language), hence they will make socio-linguistic faux pas like that.

Is it me or were there some loose ends. I get that Starscream escaped. I can't remember what happened to one of my favorites, Barricade. Did he get wasted? Was he even in the final battle? There was so much going on. I assume that Scorpinok is still on the loose.

Yeah, Barricade and Scorponok are MIA, so they could potentially appear in the next movie. I can't remember if Frenzy was finished or not either...

All said and done, I will be seeing this a dozen times.

I've noticed that all the critical comments people have made about this movie have been over really trivial stuff - nothing hugely important. It's way different from the G1 movie where they were massively huge glaring errors, not to mention being incomprehensible to a non-fan audience.

I recently bought the widescreen special edition of TFTM and I was watching the audio commentary, and it was interesting that right from the beginning, the commentator warns the audience that the commentary is going to be full of Transformer jargon which non-fans may find confusing and difficult to follow along, although he would to explain all the terms he was using as he went along - and a significant proportion of the commentary was spent explaining terminology (such as "FIRRIB") etc. - which just goes to show just how utterly confusing this movie is for non-fans.

Yesterday I was at a queue at OfficeWorks and there were these two young (and rather hot) girls behind me (and my wife... so no, I didn't hit onto those girls - er, not that I would! Moving along now...) were talking about the Transformers movie and how much they enjoyed it. From the way they spoke, it was clear that they new Powerglide all about Transformers outside of what they'd seen from the movie... but it was great to hear two clearly complete NON-fans who thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

Try finding a non-fan who would enjoy the G1 movie... (-_-)

Haven't seen it yet, but I have to ask you guys- how was Weaving's portrayal of Megatron? What did his voice sound like?

Fap-worthy. :P

Weaving >>> Welker!

My favourite Megatron line is the one in my signature (which he says just seconds before the moments in that clip). ;)

afaik Weaving's been the first (and currently only) Australian to have played a Transformer. Of course, there are two Aussies in the movie, the other being Rachel Taylor who plays Maggie - and Bay actually allowed her to retain her Australian accent instead of having her put on an American accent. Apparently Maggie was originally written to be an American, but when Taylor auditioned for the role, Bay decided to change the character to being an Australian, allowing her to keep her natural accent.

Speaking of Aussies and Transformers, I recently found out that the Classics were designed by an Australian - who is apparently also the only Westerner working for Takara atm. Australia.gif

Wow. That clip is awesome. Megatron's voice is fantastic- it really fits the design well. That scene makes me want to hug my recently purchased Leader Megatron figure.

Oh, and I really hope Paramount releases an orchestrated movie soundtrack. I'd buy it instantly.

My wife (whom I dragged, pregnant and irratible to a sneak-preview) just argued very well that Frenzy was the most capable of all the decepticons.

He got the download information when Blackout could not.

He got the closest to getting the glasses.

He found Megatron, and freed him and found the Allspark and alerted the other decepticons.

Without him they would have been lost.

I did understand why they had to kill someone. I just was kind of bummed that it was Jazz even though I hated his voice. Kill a human.

I'm still wondering why the Decepticons didn't just bid on the glasses, especially as they probably could have got Frenzy to hack the auction in their favour!

It's hard to believe it's still not out in the US when most of us down here (NZ) have seen it at least twice already! My 6 year old son (who's also seen it twice) won a Protoform Optimus at a radio station sponsored preview on Wednesday (27th June).

It's an awesome movie, but there are still some sore points for me. I especially don't like the fact that the humans save the autobots hide effectively. I guess it was teamwork really, but I would have preffered Prime to do the damage.

I think Weaving worked fine, but I still really wish Frank Welker had done it.

I wonder where the battle damage that they have in robot mode goes when they turn into vehicles. Robot mode = lots of panel scratches, vehicle mode = shiny and new.

Examples of cheesy lines that kinda worked well? Sam says to Megan Fox "there's more to you than meets the eye" and then berates himself for such a stupid line.

Barricade's my favourite Decepticon, Bumblebee's probably the best Autobot. The opening scene with Blackout wrecking havoc rules.

I just don't think the Autobots really cover themselves in glory, which bothered me a bit.

Overall though, killer movie. Seen it twice, want to go again. Also bought Leader Prime and Barricade as a result of my enthusiasm. The effects are mind blowing.

When was blackout even after the information? wasn't it frenzy twice?

Oh, and I really hope Paramount releases an orchestrated movie soundtrack. I'd buy it instantly.

Seconded! I especially liked the adrenaline pushing, action foreboding them that was used twice.

Also, Jazz death, and Ratchet's willingness to jump into battle made clear that this really was an all-out war. There are no back-ups, no reinforcements, nothing like that. It's all out, now or never, all or nothing (and more of such phrases). In G1, Ratchet could be a pacifist, because there were so many soldiers, medical staff would be able to be involved without actually seeing direct battle. Here, no such option.

Yeah, I liked that too, there was a real feel of war, of threat, I'm sorry, but some episodes of G1 seems more like they're plaing a game. It did remind (your post really, not the movie) of that arc in the G1 comics where Ratchet was forced into a warrior role.

When was blackout even after the information? wasn't it frenzy twice?

First scene - when the capatin of the Airforce base has to cut the cable line to the servers with an axe.

And Goki- i thought that Dinobot (BW) and Jetfire were both Austrailian.

Archived