IS brawl in the movie?

I started reading the thread and then my brain started hurting. bad logic make thinky hard.

Judging by the general theme going with Decepticon Alt Modes, Bruticus is a far more likely choice for a gestalt than the Constructicons. The only reason people are thinking they should be in it is the G1 nostalgia of them being the first.

That's if they include a gestalt at all.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So if the tank is really named Devastator, this just got me wondering:

If the Constructicons do make it into the sequel, what will be their combined form be named? Brawl?

Five guys that combine to create a sixth individual personality* might be more complicated than the filmmakers want/need to be. The combined form could still have the leader of the group in control, and thusly not require a new name.

*Adjust number accordingly for however many robots are in the team.

Tramp, everyone knows the facts behind what has happened. The character whose toy is called Brawl, is called Devestator in the movie. And that is a fact. Everything else is not fact, it's merely your interpretation of the situation, according to your own paradigma. It's not an error. You may prefer it to percieve it so, but your preferences do not make it a truth. If you would simply state "I simply prefer the character to be called Brawl", most, if not all of those who got on your case in this thread, would let you be. It's the way you present your opinion as absolute fact that irks us.

Besides, you still haven't answered the question: What does it matter what we think? What if we prefer to call the character Devestator, not just his movie character, but his toys as well? How does that affect you, in any way?

yeah, maybe - or he might also say -

"STFU you stupid fanboy and let me watch the movie in peace. I dont give a Blot about your stupid action figure collection!!!!!!!"

Sure he could. However, I certainly wouldn't be talking during the movie anyway so your point is pretty well moot.

Tramp, you seriously think they could dock his pay!? Christ Almighty.

I like how you just makes up how you think the movie industry works to make your point. Evidence is for schmucks.

Hobbes, Who cuts the checks on this movie? Hasbro. Who controls the purse strings? Hasbro. Who has primary creative control? Hasbro. What they say goes.

Ifwere to be the case, why would Hasbro ever need Dreamworks?

Tramp, you seriously think they could dock his pay!? Christ Almighty.

I like how you just makes up how you think the movie industry works to make your point. Evidence is for schmucks.

Hobbes, Who cuts the checks on this movie? Hasbro. Who controls the purse strings? Hasbro. Who has primary creative control? Hasbro. What they say goes.

The Executive Producer of a film is usually the one who has set up financing or "pays for the film", if you will. This is a list of this film's multiple Executive Producers:

Mark Vahradian - an Executive at Di Bonaventura Pictures

Steven Spielberg - Head of Dreamworks, and possibly the most successful film director in history. Was a film director before he was a producer, likely very sensitive to the wants of the other directors he works with.

Michael Bay - Who, besides being the director, is a partner owner of Platinum Dunes, another production company under whose banner this film falls.

Brian Goldner - COO of a toy company, albeit a very successful one, for whom Transformers is his first and only feature film experience.

Looks to me like Hasbro's controlling about 25% of the purse strings at best, considering that Spielberg is, without doubt, the 300 lbs. Gorilla in this line up and, with Dreamworks being the film's distributor and not just another production company, is likely footing the lion's share of the film's budget.

In conclusion many of us will be calling the tank character Devastator, and are completely right to do so (though not more right than people who want to call him "Brawl"...just not any less, either).

Learn to deal.

So if the tank is really named Devastator, this just got me wondering:

If the Constructicons do make it into the sequel, what will be their combined form be named? Brawl?

This makes me think that the name "Devastator" of the tank was a mistake. But then again that's just based on IF there were to be Constructicons. And IF they name the combiner Devastator as well.

Or who knows, there could be TWO Devastators :clap like the Decepticons named their combiner Constructicons in remembrance of the stupidity of their tank-friend. This IS somewhat of a reboot after all. :roll

The name "Devastator" is a mistake. I just got back from watching the film, and Jazz even refers to Brawl by name just before they go at it: "Decepticon Brawl". This combined with Hasbro's statements confirms that the text translation of of Brawl's name in Cybertronian as "Devastator" is an error. Brawl never says "Devastator", that is only the text subtitle written to translate Cybertronian. Jazz says Brawl.

The name "Devastator" is a mistake. I just got back from watching the film, and Jazz even refers to Brawl by name just before they go at it: "Decepticon Brawl". This combined with Hasbro's statements confirms that the text translation of of Brawl's name in Cybertronian as "Devastator" is an error. Brawl never says "Devastator", that is only the text subtitle written to translate Cybertronian. Jazz says Brawl.

Interesting...Tramp may have actually made a legitimate point in the debate...I need someone who's seen the film to confirm or deny this...my tickets are for the 4th. :07redface

EDIT TO ADD: It's worth noting, if the name is spoken aloud, then that's definitive proof that Bay A) wanted the name Brawl and B) did not screw up, since he directed the scene in which the name is spoken, and clearly made a choice to go with "Brawl". The subtitle would be an oversight of communication somewhere within the production, but not a slip up on Bay's part. If the Bay directed scene features the name spoken aloud, I'll call the character Brawl, myself.

However, I find it hard to believe that, with all the people on all the boards who have seen the movie, and every board having two or three Brawl vs. Devastator threads minimum, that no one's pointed this out before Tramp.

Fact of the matter is, in the movie, he is listed and credited as Devastator. The toy is listed as Brawl. Whether Michael Bay or Hasbro screwed up, it's a completely moot point. What's done is done, and people will just have to deal with it. This topic is over :lock

Archived