???Hasbro Not Continuing TF Classics Line???

SkyFire2001

To all you unemployed marketing experts out there....

Have you considered the fact that some of us "g1 fanatics" may have kids of there own?

Kids that might otherwise be interest in Ninja Turtles or Power Rangers or something that could be introduced to Transformers instead. That is if we can relate to them. And since those kids get there money to buy these toys from there parents whom might happen to be g1 fans why wouldn't Hasbro listen.

Now lets say there's about 250k of us out there world wide who buy an average of 10 toys a year for there kids...

Is Hasbro listening or should we just let it go. After all there's always Matel right?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To all you unemployed marketing experts out there....

Have you considered the fact that some of us "g1 fanatics" may have kids of there own?

Kids that might otherwise be interest in Ninja Turtles or Power Rangers or something that could be introduced to Transformers instead. That is if we can relate to them. And since those kids get there money to buy these toys from there parents whom might happen to be g1 fans why wouldn't Hasbro listen.

Now lets say there's about 250k of us out there world wide who buy an average of 10 toys a year for there kids...

Is Hasbro listening or should we just let it go. After all there's always Matel right?

as I am a G1 FAN (not fanatic) myself, because they were the impressions made on me as a youth - the first ones, that altho had bad writing, had descent character development. I lost interest as they got cheaper, more plastic colored, less detailed, and basically overflooded the market with garbage. I completely lost interest when they went for the reinvention and included insects and animals. After all, to me, the ATTRACTION to transformers was the (albeit it loosely, given issues of scale and such) dream of reality to inate objects - specifically the CARS. So it was no wonder, I fell in love with TF yet again with the ALT/BT series. I even prefer the "potential" to these to have been a movie - given even the Decepticons were CARS. I mean comeon, a car vs a mlitary jet? or tank? I would have much preferred a movie built on more character developement of the ALT series where they are all CARS. But that's just me. I am still very hyped about the movie.

But let me give you a few other things to consider...

While I agree with your sentiment above, trying to simply REDO G1 would in a sense be a sequel - which usually do NOT do well or live nearly as long.

Most of the hardcore G1 fantatics fell in love with them as kids thesmelves and are thus now in their mid 30's.. an age that finds CHANGE hard to accept.

The original G1's popularity was the capturing of "KIDS" who got theier parents to spend the money then. So why is it different now?? If they find a good formula to hook the kids, they WILL still capture the money of the parents. Yes, if they can get the adults to like them also - they can get an even BIGGER piece of the pie. I agree. But if they put a solid product out, that will happen ANYWAYS without simply having to stick to G1 cloning. Believe me, I WANT to fall in love w/the movie TF all over again, but in all honesty, after looking at some of the toys I am having a hard time finding any love past Prime. I am still siked about the movie, and will enjoy it and let it stand on it's own - as a homage to TFers - regardless of ANY G1 resemblance at all. I am glad they are bringing it back for another generation and hope they do a FABULOUS job - whether the toys make it or not.

In addition, you can pretty much guarnatee the new toy line will never be the true 'collectible' than the old ones were, because the toys are now LOOKED AT by mass people as possible collectibles. That in iteself floods supply, collectors, and devalues them. The whole reason G1 is also so incredible - it was the FIRST ones, and no one really saw them as a collectible. WE played with them! And some survived, to become the collection they truly are. We will always love the G1's, but I don't think you can ever really bring them back in the way of a clone with the type of success that is envisioned.

As far as having kids, I have kids also. He is 6yrs old, and LOVES Transformers. He has some of the Cybertron main figures and a few ALT's. He LOVES THEM. They do not have to be G1's for your kids LOVE to be the "SAME" love you had of the G1's almost 30 years ago! If you think so you, your being dillusional, and not looking beyond yourself. Just let your kids love the ones they do, and don't diminish THEIR EXPERIENCE because it is not the exact one YOU HAD because they are not G1's. I LOVE watching my kid enjoy his TFers. Will he get into the Movie ones?? I dunno, that will be up to HIM! But i love my G1, and my BT's. I will go to the movie and we will share in this experience TOGETHER NOW. And he will continue to find pleasure in the ones he has.

AS i said, i'm a G1 Fan, but not fanatic. There are many wonderful experiences in the TF community for both the past generations and the new ones. There is a lot more to bring people TOGETHER over all of this than divide them because people are being so narrow minded and expect everyone else to think and feel the exact way they do. I would have much preferred a movie based on the ALT's - good vs evil - level playing field - all cars - based on character developement, plot and engineering wonder. But i'm going to go see the movie with an open mind, enjoy it for what it is, and not take away from the experience of my kid due to any disappointments I may or may not have.

Just some things to consider.

All I know we are getting more classics figs, and I am really happy right now!

So wait, Classics are not "dead" then? :wtf

If true... then there is still more hope for more of G1 transformers to be "reborn" (come on Shockwave....)

BTW, for those who care, there is a storyline for the classics series. The Transformers Club is currently running a comic series on their monthly "magazine" based around the classics series. Plus there's gonna be a comic book series coming out in comic book stores some time this summer ( Hopefully if the transformers club aren't messing with us... :redface ).

So wait, Classics are not "dead" then? :wtf

If true... then there is still more hope for more of G1 transformers to be "reborn" (come on Shockwave....)

BTW, for those who care, there is a storyline for the classics series. The Transformers Club is currently running a comic series on their monthly "magazine" based around the classics series. Plus there's gonna be a comic book series coming out in comic book stores some time this summer ( Hopefully if the transformers club aren't messing with us... :redface ).

The club comic is every other month actually, and its a one shot comic this summer, not a full series. However they've mentioned that the classics storyline might continue into next year, but that isn't official yet.

Archived