???Hasbro Not Continuing TF Classics Line???

SkyFire2001

This is actually carried over from a previous thread, but the last I had heard was that the Classics line was only to bridge the gap from Energon to the new Movie line, which has included to date:

Voyager: Optimus Prime, Megatron, Jetfire

Deluxe: Grimlock, Mirage, Bumblebee, Hot Rod, Cliffjumper, Starscream, Astrotrain, Ramjet

Target Exclusive: Ultra Magnus Vs. Skywarp

Wal-Mart Exclusive: Constructicons Devastator

BotCon 2007 Exclusive: Dreadwing, Thundercracker, Thrust, Dirge, and Bugbite

Which the build quality has been very nice, even though the BotCon exclusive sold out so fast it will never ever see the light of day for those of us who are not able to attend the con. :tdown

:tfmad This is the gripe, with the new movie about to hit the theaters, the Classic line is being discontinued? What the hell?? Does Hasbro even care about the Generation 1 fans or the fans that don't want to get into the Movie line stuff? Just feels like Hasbro has left us out in the cold. Has anyone else heard of any other information, maybe a confirmation from Hasbro, or have anything to add to this topic?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:tfmad This is the gripe, with the new movie about to hit the theaters, the Classic line is being discontinued? What the hell?? Does Hasbro even care about the Generation 1 fans or the fans that don't want to get into the Movie line stuff? Just feels like Hasbro has left us out in the cold. Has anyone else heard of any other information, maybe a confirmation from Hasbro, or have anything to add to this topic?

Hasbro cares about sales. That's the bottom line. NEW sells. Old sells okay, but not as good as NEW. The classics line was to account for continued sales between Cybertron and the Movie. Nothing more. From the get-go, it was a small number release made simply to keep profits from coming in and keeping something fresh on the shelves.

G1 is amazing and while I don't think it should be forgotten, I do think it's dwelled on WAY TOO MUCH. As I said above, Hasbro cares about sales and despite what us Collecting Fans want, Hasbro's target is kids. The 'fans' you referred to are an afterthought. Think cherry on top. We're a plus. A luxury. While they do want to please us somewhat, their main focus is a new, fresh approach on things and ways to keep flow coming in from their main target demographic: children.

To put it simply, the Classics line was not made for YOU. It was made for children. Plain and simple. It was a little thought, quick execution line that appealed to both kids and collectors without a storyline needing to be present on television.

Be happy you got anything at all resembling G1. Embrace the movie and progress forward.

Hasbro cares about sales. That's the bottom line. NEW sells. Old sells okay, but not as good as NEW. The classics line was to account for continued sales between Cybertron and the Movie. Nothing more. From the get-go, it was a small number release made simply to keep profits from coming in and keeping something fresh on the shelves.

G1 is amazing and while I don't think it should be forgotten, I do think it's dwelled on WAY TOO MUCH. As I said above, Hasbro cares about sales and despite what us Collecting Fans want, Hasbro's target is kids. The 'fans' you referred to are an afterthought. Think cherry on top. We're a plus. A luxury. While they do want to please us somewhat, their main focus is a new, fresh approach on things and ways to keep flow coming in from their main target demographic: children.

To put it simply, the Classics line was not made for YOU. It was made for children. Plain and simple. It was a little thought, quick execution line that appealed to both kids and collectors without a storyline needing to be present on television.

Be happy you got anything at all resembling G1. Embrace the movie and progress forward.

I agree that Hasbro's main demographic are the kids, but not the entire demographic. Also, it's not just the Classics line, I have seen the other lines pulled off the shelf to make way for the movie line, and no word from Hasbro of what is going on. I don't see the new movie as the culprit, but the merchants that are shortsighted.

Basically Hasbro mentioned at last Botcon that classics was a filler line, they said they might, empahsis on "Might" bring it back after the movie if the sales on it were good enough. However no official word has been heard on it coming back. I'm sure the question will get asked at Botcon, and we'll probably hear the final word on the line then. Personally I'd like it to continue, but I don't expect it to. Though collectors like us loved it, it really didn't seem to sell that well, at least not in my area nore that of a good number of other people on these boards from whats been posted in the past.

Basically Hasbro mentioned at last Botcon that classics was a filler line, they said they might, empahsis on "Might" bring it back after the movie if the sales on it were good enough. However no official word has been heard on it coming back. I'm sure the question will get asked at Botcon, and we'll probably hear the final word on the line then. Personally I'd like it to continue, but I don't expect it to. Though collectors like us loved it, it really didn't seem to sell that well, at least not in my area nore that of a good number of other people on these boards from whats been posted in the past.

From what I saw...only 2 figures didn't sell well. Cliff Jumper and Mirage. I went to Walmart last night and they had probably about 15 or so of each. Neither of those figures really jumped out at me. CJ was just a repaint (I didn't care much for the paint design) and Mirage kinda looked goofy...to me that is.

I'm thinking that chances may be good that...Since it was a marginally successful "Filler" line...and they will probably have a need for another filler between the movie and the new cartoon...IMO I'de say chances are good they will do a few more. I could be wrong though.

Let's just say...should any Hasbro Marketin peepz read these boards (not bloody likely but ya never know) You gotta know that if they did that Cosmos figure they wouldn't be able to keep it on the shelf!

From what I saw...only 2 figures didn't sell well. Cliff Jumper and Mirage. I went to Walmart last night and they had probably about 15 or so of each. Neither of those figures really jumped out at me. CJ was just a repaint (I didn't care much for the paint design) and Mirage kinda looked goofy...to me that is.

I'm thinking that chances may be good that...Since it was a marginally successful "Filler" line...and they will probably have a need for another filler between the movie and the new cartoon...IMO I'de say chances are good they will do a few more. I could be wrong though.

Let's just say...should any Hasbro Marketin peepz read these boards (not bloody likely but ya never know) You gotta know that if they did that Cosmos figure they wouldn't be able to keep it on the shelf!

I agree, I did like Cosmos from the G1 series and would love to see a lot more of the favorite characters to be put the Classics line. Hasbro should see that even from a successful filler, that the Classics line can be good for business as much as any of the other product line they have had.

It wasn't backed by a storyline and if you're trying to sell toys long enough without having something about it on TV, kids forget it was ever there to begin with. No show, no sell. Simple.

Plus the target audience are kids. The fact that we as adults keep going on about it, means next to zero in terms of sales. The Transformers toyline is fine without us and would die without kids.

There are several threads about this very same topic... People must have really loved Classics.

Archived