Could we see not only Mass Shifting, but a triple changer in the next movie?

masterminicon

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mass shifting is r.e.t.a.r.d.e.d. and Tramp, of course g1 soundwave was accepted IT WAS A KIDS CARTOON. I also accepted that green goo turned turtles into human sized ninjas, that sharks rode x-treme vehicles, mice drove motorcycles, a dude with a skeleton face and gimmicky henchmen threatened eternia, and that no matter what happened, no one ever got seriously hurt or died :roll

Nice, I remember every single one of those, it's unbelieveable. :thumb

I'd like to point out at this time that all the article said was that Bay had a neat idea concerning an aircraft carrier. Nothing about mass shifting, triple changers, or that the carrier was a TF at all. Just an aircraft carrier.

All the other crap you guys are arguing about is ALL speculation.

Reality? CHECK

Mass shifting is r.e.t.a.r.d.e.d. and Tramp, of course g1 soundwave was accepted IT WAS A KIDS CARTOON. I also accepted that green goo turned turtles into human sized ninjas, that sharks rode x-treme vehicles, mice drove motorcycles, a dude with a skeleton face and gimmicky henchmen threatened eternia, and that no matter what happened, no one ever got seriously hurt or died :roll

Add to the fact that in addition to mass shifting (a term which hadn't been invented in '84) being a staple of the G1 mythos*, so too were human sidekicks in bright yellow helmets/boots, guns and trailers which could be stored in subspace, etc.

*I don't think mass shifting showed up outside the G1 mythos (well Beast Wars but thats the same mythos). AFAIK there was none in RiD, Armada, Energon, Cybertron etc.

Dude, Tramp, you're the one who keeps on nagging on this topic. Don't be a hypocrit.

I'm not the one calling concepts "stupid" or "retarded". I'm not the one mocking an long established part of TF lore.

Transformers was more than just a "kids cartoon" is was science fiction with a healthy amount of fantastic elements, no more than any other sci-fi piece out there. It was also played a bit more seriously than most of the shows you mentioned. And, for the record, TMNT, did not start out as a "kisds" cartoon. It started out as a black and white comic book aimed at older teenagers, and was a lot more violent than the later show. Mass conversion is just one more fantastic element. Every science fiction/fantasy or superhero story, cartoon, comic book, etc, has elements which, in real life would be impossible, yet within the boundries of the story, work and people–both old and young—accept them for what they are becasue they seem plausible. It is called suspension of disbeliefe. If we can accept that a man can gain the powers of a spider from being bitten by a radioactive one (Spiderman), or a man who was exposed to lethal doses of gamma radiation instead turns into a giant green monster when he gets angry (the Hulk), or a woman can shrink down to the size of an insect and fly around (Wasp), why can't we accept that certain transformers can shrink or grow depending upon their mode? It is no different.

Now, as for Triplechangers, honestly, I do not think they would be feasable. First off, the movies use real vehicles, which would make such transformations almost impossible to pull of believably in the movie, and would be impossible to pull off with a toy. There would need to be too many comprimizes in one or the other mode. And, for the recoprd hobbes, No, jets and tanks are not the same size. Jets are considerably larger in length and with their wingspan. All Triplechangers go through some form of size change, mostly through parts compression though, not mass conversion. I think the only one who doesn't size shift at all is Springer, and even he may because he would be a very small helocopter or a very large car if he didn't.

Add to the fact that in addition to mass shifting (a term which hadn't been invented in '84) being a staple of the G1 mythos*, so too were human sidekicks in bright yellow helmets/boots, guns and trailers which could be stored in subspace, etc.

*I don't think mass shifting showed up outside the G1 mythos (well Beast Wars but thats the same mythos). AFAIK there was none in RiD, Armada, Energon, Cybertron etc.

Actually, yes, there is mass conversion in the later series. The minicaons Jolt, reverb and Sixxpeed grwo in size by a great margin in order for the kids to ride inside them. In their robot modes, they stand only a little taller than the children, about the size of a Human adult. In vehicle mode, Sixspeed and Reverb are the size of normal automobiles of their class, and Jolt is a full-size single passenger helocopter. They become full-sized vehicles. That is mass conversion. As for the G1 humans wearing bright yellow helmets and boots, those were construction safety gear. Hardhats are mostly bright yellow, as are rubber boots often worn on construction sites, partuclarly back in the 80's. Yellow is a safety color, just as bright orange is. They are both high-visibility colors. It is perfectly realistic to see people wearing them given their line of work.

I

Transformers was more than just a "kids cartoon"

I think I now understand your pathology :roll Transformers was never more than a cartoon/property aimed at kids.

I

I think I now understand your pathology :roll Transformers was never more than a cartoon/property aimed at kids.

Mmmmmm.

I can taste the truth.

I

Actuall,y yes, it was. While its primary target audience was boys aged 5-13 or so, it was also meant for a more general audience as well, something the entire family could enjoy, not just the kids. Secondly, just because the primary audience was children, does not mean that the concepts or plot devices used in these stories are "stupid", "retarded", or the like. Children are not idiots, particularly school-aged children. Many of those same concepts and plot devices have been used in stories targeting adults and teenagers as well, including extreme size changes. The show, and the comic (particularly after Simon Furman took over the writing on the comic) were taken seriously, not treated as a joke. It didn't talk down to kids, or patronize them. It didn't use concepts that only kids could accept because they don't know any better. I was almost 14 when Transformers first came out, and I was able to accept the concept of extreme size changing perfectly fine. It fit the characters who had the ability, and their transformations, and that is the important part. It wasn't arbitrary. It wasn't thrown in out of the blue for no reason. It was only used for those that needed the ability, and was used effectively for a story purpose. That is what made it believable.

I

Actuall,y yes, it was. While its primary target audience was boys aged 5-13 or so, it was also meant for a more general audience as well, something the entire family could enjoy, not just the kids. Secondly, just because the primary audience was children, does not mean that the concepts or plot devices used in these stories are "stupid", "retarded", or the like. Children are not idiots, particularly school-aged children. Many of those same concepts and plot devices have been used in stories targeting adults and teenagers as well, including extreme size changes. The show, and the comic (particularly after Simon Furman took over the writing on the comic) were taken seriously, not treated as a joke. It didn't talk down to kids, or patronize them. It didn't use concepts that only kids could accept because they don't know any better. I was almost 14 when Transformers first came out, and I was able to accept the concept of extreme size changing perfectly fine. It fit the characters who had the ability, and their transformations, and that is the important part. It wasn't arbitrary. It wasn't thrown in out of the blue for no reason. It was only used for those that needed the ability, and was used effectively for a story purpose. That is what made it believable.

okay you are missing about a billion important points here. First, the show was based off of an existing toy line. They took what they had which included the diaclone (or whichever line he actually came from) soundwave. His shrinking ability has nothing to do with a conscious decision to have mass shifting, it had to do with this robot needing to be huge even though he transformed into a little tape deck as a toy. If you actually think that transformers is a "whole family" kind of show, that I think your tastes must be a little skewed :tflaugh I'm not trying to poke fun, but Transformers is NOT meant for general audiences, at least as far as the '84 show goes. I don't care how much bold text you use. And in case you are forgetting such memorable episodes as "Hoist goes to hollywood" or "The girl who loved powerglide" etc etc.. they are merely a sampling of what the Transformers cartoon was really like. Even being the huge transformers fan that I am, I can't stomach those episodes as an adult or most of the G1 episodes.. or any transformers show really, outside of BW. And I grew up on G1. IT.IS.MEANT.FOR.KIDS. the end.

Archived