Is Powerlinking worth it?

Smokes

Disclaimer: The author understands that he can't change the Energon toy line. This is only ment for discussion, not Hasbro/Takara bashing.

Starscream is an amazing figure, Snowcat is a lot of fun and Mirage will quite possibly top them all. These figures are so great because their designs aren't held back by gimmicks. As much as I like my Rodimus and Inferno, the articulation and overall apperance is hurt by powerlinking.

Rodimus would have been so much cooler if he hadn't been design as a set of legs and a stand alone figure. Given the circumstance the designers pulled off some really great stuff and I understand that there has to be a gimmick to draw the kids, but I wish they would have limited it to a couple of fig's.

Would you prefer not to have the gimmicks?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would you prefer not to have the gimmicks?

I think gimmicks have hurt a lot of transformers, one need only look at the new energon Optimus Prime…someone that works a toy store said that kids like the gimmicks and that’s what they look out for so I guess I can’t knock it.

But for me the figure it self most always come before the gimmick…as for the powerlinks stuff, I really can’t say I like any of them…most of the transformers that for the upper torso “shirt” have limbs that can barely be called arms.

But I know a lot of other people seem to really love the ability to put two transformers together to form one, so one again I will try not to knock the “powerlinking” capabilities.

Gimmicks can often be good! I like a lot of different things, such as the gimmicks of Armada Prime (connectivity, and the auto transform trailer), or the gimmicks behind many great G1 characters.

The powerlinx stuff is cool. Granted that often they look pretty weird, but sometimes they can be pretty good. I really like the idea of being able to mix and match TF's, but it gets kinda hard to do, each figure having so many different ways to change.

So overall I think its good, but I could certainly go without it.

No.

If you're gonna do combiners. Do em right. G1 style. :)

I only need 1 gimmick. Transforming.

exactly, though some of the powerlinking looks cool (bots linked with themselves are pretty bad ass) its not really neccesary to sell the toys. The coolest energon figs so far are the ones without PL'ing.

I agree...I dont really need powerlinking...

I need Transformers that dont have big gimmics like the powerlink. I rather have gimmicks like weapons that shoot missiles (which they got) hidden allegiance symbol, tons of articulation like the BW and the fuzors (preferably ball jointed) nad the ability to transform.

:tflaugh1 :tfgrin

Yeah, I love the 5 BW/BM I have...

At first I find the Superlink gimmick to be rather weak as the resulting robots sometimes look quite strange. However, after playing around with them I actually rather enjoy the "gimmick". (And yes kid really find it fun to "power up" the figure").

I really have to say I dig the "interchangeability" of the Energon toys. May its my Microman side kicking in but these toys really remind me of how fun Microman was with ability to "interchange" each toys and mix and match them. I have put Prowl on Rodimus then on Inferno and twistted them around to find the best mach. Yes some do look aweful, but for kids, if it look like robot and then that good enough for them. Takara/Hasbro designer has really surpass my expectation on Energon. Not only the superlink figures are interchangeable, the weapons are also loaded with 5mm connectors and you can combine them or plug them into various slots the toys and make like the ultimate mode figures will all Energon weapon blazings.

I picked up Snow Cat and Starscream and they are cool figures with nice transformation (thought Starscream probably the best of the two)...but I miss the Superlink ability on the Autobot.... with Autobot the playability is greatly extended as you can mix and match (well so far only among four deluxe) and created more new "toys".

Paul L>

I really am glad that Hasbro bring back the spring load missile launchers!! even on the basic toys. I hate those "push" type missile from the BM era.

the Powerlinxing is a great gimmick. It is one of the better ideas that Takara/Hasbro has come up with. I like the combinations of the Deluxe and Mega size and the Brute mode of the Ultra class. I know that transforming is the main gimmick, but ever since Headmasters and so on I think the toy companies have needed to add more. Weather or not all of these "extra" gimmicks have been a good thing is a matter of debate. (see action masters for my idea of a failed gimmick)

Gimmicks can add to the toy(G1 Combiners) and hurt the whole line(Armada), there seems to be a happy medium with Energon.

That said, I would kill to have a Rodimus that can do more than "cluck" like a chicken. :tftounge

Powerlinking is fun. Think of it from a play standpoint: If you have 3 or 4 robots that can PL, that's a ton of different combinations. Kids could invent different powers and personalities for each combination, and that sort of thing. So from a toy standpoint, it's a great idea. And some of those combinations look pretty nice (Inferno as the shirt on anyone, pretty much)

as for toys being affected, Hot Shot and Inferno are both awesome toys who aren't hurt by the gimmick. Rodimus, on the other hand...

Archived