Why is Barricade such a G1 Soundwave homage?

Aquarion

His head really looks like a modified version of the decepticon symbol, which was based on G1 Soundwave's head, and his toy can eject a drone from his chest that's even named Frenzy. Plus the whole deal with disguising himself as a police car so he can better infiltrate human cities, is similar to how G1 Soundwave was the con's master spy. I can understand the similarities with Blackout since he was intended to be Soundwave at one point but why is Barricade a practical Soundwave homage too?

Blackout's head will forever look MUCH more like Soundwave's head than anyones.

Toy-wise - He was given Frenzy because Frenzy rides with Barricade in the movie, even sits in his passenger seat at one point in radio mode. In the movie during

Barricade's fight with Bumblebee, Frenzy leaps out of Barricade's chest and chases after Sam. However Frenzy isn't ejected like a Soundwave minion. He just leaps out after Barricade transforms because Frenzy is within Barricade when he transforms, since he was sitting inside Barricade's car form.

It's just a way to keep the character's connected in the toys. I think you are looking into it WAY too hard.

Barricade is also a hunter, a seeker...he isn't a spy. He's hunting down Sam in the movie. Barricade just likes to trick people and lie and scare humans, hence being a police car. It lets him get in close to people, so he can spring an attack and terrify his victims all at once.

I think you are looking into this WAY TOO much Hornet.

I sorta agree with Hornet on the similaties. But the face as decepticon/soundwave symbol isn't a new thing, Cyberton Crumplezone anyone? I'll be that if you look long enough at the past toys, you'll find ten others like it.

poor G1 Blackout and Barricade... don't they deserve tributes? :(

I wanna get myself a G1 Blackout. I recently dawned on me that he's the only G1 Transformer whose namesake is appearing in the movie that I don't own! Gah!

Blackout's head will forever look MUCH more like Soundwave's head than anyones.

Toy-wise - He was given Frenzy because Frenzy rides with Barricade in the movie, even sits in his passenger seat at one point in radio mode. In the movie during

Barricade's fight with Bumblebee, Frenzy leaps out of Barricade's chest and chases after Sam. However Frenzy isn't ejected like a Soundwave minion. He just leaps out after Barricade transforms because Frenzy is within Barricade when he transforms, since he was sitting inside Barricade's car form.

It's just a way to keep the character's connected in the toys. I think you are looking into it WAY too hard.

Barricade is also a hunter, a seeker...he isn't a spy. He's hunting down Sam in the movie. Barricade just likes to trick people and lie and scare humans, hence being a police car. It lets him get in close to people, so he can spring an attack and terrify his victims all at once.

I think you are looking into this WAY TOO much Hornet.

Thanks. That at least explains the conection to the toys. :thumb

What a great disguise. A Police car with Decepticon insignia on the doors & To Punish, Enslave on the rear quarter panels. I guess he's moving to fast for anyone to notice.

What a great disguise. A Police car with Decepticon insignia on the doors & To Punish, Enslave on the rear quarter panels. I guess he's moving to fast for anyone to notice.

Well, think about it. How often to do walk by a police car that is about 20-30 feet away and really look over all the designs and decals carefully? Probably not often. Plus, if he's driving by quickly, you'll probably not notice the overall look of his decals. Also unless he was just sitting there, you probably wouldn't be able to read the "to punish and enslave" part easily.

G1 Blackout is... unneccesary. Unless you get the big ass tank he came with, and his buddy space shot.

I remeber having him... ah those were the days... not great days, but days none the less

Archived