Best CGI we have seen thus far?

Teh INTERNETS ^_^

I am so, so sorry for unleashing this thread on everyone. My sincerest apologies for using the word "ever" instead of "so far".

Time to do an Old Yeller :lock

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am so, so sorry for unleashing this thread on everyone. My sincerest apologies for using the word "ever" instead of "so far".

Time to do an Old Yeller :lock

That'll teach you. You should know that this is the semantic TF Grammer Bee! Get your CRAP together, man!

Thew reason why they did it in Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was to find out if it could be done. It was done for the sole purpose of pushing the envelope of computer generated animation. That is the sdame reason why we have completely computer generated graphic novels like Batman" Digital Justice. They are done to see how far computer graphics and animation can be pushed.

I thought they wanted stacks of Money. Silly me.

That too. But the main reason was to push the envelope of CG animation. If you have the DVD of the movie, they go into this at length. If all they wanted was to make a lot of money, it would have been cheaper to use real actors instead of GC "actors"

Thew reason why they did it in Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was to find out if it could be done. It was done for the sole purpose of pushing the envelope of computer generated animation. That is the sdame reason why we have completely computer generated graphic novels like Batman" Digital Justice. They are done to see how far computer graphics and animation can be pushed.

That too. But the main reason was to push the envelope of CG animation. If you have the DVD of the movie, they go into this at length. If all they wanted was to make a lot of money, it would have been cheaper to use real actors instead of GC "actors"

So the point wasn't to entertain/make money.

Who knew.

I always thought if the film would've been smart enough to altogether drop the FF namesake & just call it TSW it would have done better. Maybe not but at least it wouldn't have badly misused/misrepresented the game licence. Most vid game movies (no matter how bad/Yu Boll) at least have some conection to the source material. FFTSW had absolutely none & wasn't anything more than an elaborate pretty scifi flick.

Pushing the envelope with CGI is neat but representing photo realistic humans is almost next to useless when a live action cast makes a lot more sense. Not wanting to flame/bait anyone but here is my personal opinion on CGI in movies. I think it should only be used in film senarios only when no other way is feasable/possible. When something can't be depicted any other way I'm all for it. (Transformers/Jurrassic Park) I also see it as a great touch up tool for pratical model/animatronic effects. What I absolutely am beginning to hate are films that rely so heavily on CGI that the only thing that is real are the actors themselves. The Starwars Prequals are a really good example. I think it was AOTC where I literally felt board seeing every CGI backdrop after another. Sure people love it but I grew up when most movies were fimed pratically & not just against blue screen backdrops. 300 was another one that really bothered me. Sure people are getting hacked apart & the bloods everywhere but how much of it actually felt effective? Not much. My friend got grossed out by the spinning decapitated head with the spine in the neck & I just laughed. It obviously wasn't real & neither would have an animatronic head but it would have been so much more effective. If I want to see PS2/3 graphics I'll just play a video game. CGI unless it's absolutely impossible to do any other way is being way over used to do way too many stupid things.

Bizz I loved what was real in the freeway chase scene but hated a lot of the CG work. The motorcycle sequence in particlar was really bad. My only reasoning for why it looked so fake was because it was in the fake world of the matrix & one of those instances where it was to be percieved as a bad programming glitch or something. Also if I had the choice to realistically crash to full size tractor trailers into another for that climatic ending shot I would have done just that & had the cameras set up to record so the actors preformances could be digitally added later. Unfortunately the poor excecution of what had be done was enough to take me completely out of the movie. :tdown Not arguing your opinion just specifying what i meant. :thumb

Another awsome movie that uses both pratical/animatronic/CGI would be Spielberg's AI. Not the greatest movie again but impressive to look at none the less. Wes Andersons Event horizon was also steller work of both pratical effects/CGI. Probably his most effective/best to date. Too bad I can only watch it once. :puke

Another awsome movie that uses both pratical/animatronic/CGI would be Spielberg's AI. Not the greatest movie again but impressive to look at none the less. Wes Andersons Event horizon was also steller work of both pratical effects/CGI. Probably his most effective/best to date. Too bad I can only watch it once. :puke

:lol

I think you meant Paul Anderson.

"Wes" makes really dull movies like Rushmore and I heart Huckabees, about geeks who dont fit in and also have angst and stuff.

Kinda like Kevin Smith but with out the jokes.

So the point wasn't to entertain/make money.

Who knew.

I always thought if the film would've been smart enough to altogether drop the FF namesake & just call it TSW it would have done better. Maybe not but at least it wouldn't have badly misused/misrepresented the game licence. Most vid game movies (no matter how bad/Yu Boll) at least have some conection to the source material. FFTSW had absolutely none & wasn't anything more than an elaborate pretty scifi flick.

Pushing the envelope with CGI is neat but representing photo realistic humans is almost next to useless when a live action cast makes a lot more sense. Not wanting to flame/bait anyone but here is my personal opinion on CGI in movies. I think it should only be used in film senarios only when no other way is feasable/possible. When something can't be depicted any other way I'm all for it. (Transformers/Jurrassic Park) I also see it as a great touch up tool for pratical model/animatronic effects. What I absolutely am beginning to hate are films that rely so heavily on CGI that the only thing that is real are the actors themselves. The Starwars Prequals are a really good example. I think it was AOTC where I literally felt board seeing every CGI backdrop after another. Sure people love it but I grew up when most movies were fimed pratically & not just against blue screen backdrops. 300 was another one that really bothered me. Sure people are getting hacked apart & the bloods everywhere but how much of it actually felt effective? Not much. My friend got grossed out by the spinning decapitated head with the spine in the neck & I just laughed. It obviously wasn't real & neither would have an animatronic head but it would have been so much more effective. If I want to see PS2/3 graphics I'll just play a video game. CGI unless it's absolutely impossible to do any other way is being way over used to do way too many stupid things.

Bizz I loved what was real in the freeway chase scene but hated a lot of the CG work. The motorcycle sequence in particlar was really bad. My only reasoning for why it looked so fake was because it was in the fake world of the matrix & one of those instances where it was to be percieved as a bad programming glitch or something. Also if I had the choice to realistically crash to full size tractor trailers into another for that climatic ending shot I would have done just that & had the cameras set up to record so the actors preformances could be digitally added later. Unfortunately the poor excecution of what had be done was enough to take me completely out of the movie. :tdown Not arguing your opinion just specifying what i meant. :thumb

I have to disagree with you an a number of point here, though I do agree on others, to a point. Limiting CGI only to this shots where it is absolutely impossible to shoot it practically wouldn't work. Mvoe studios also have to look at the costs, and many times doing a shot with practical effects only is too expensive. Other times CG is more expensive. Are you saying that budget should not be considered when determining which type of effects should be used? Another issue is safety. Some shots are simply too dangerous for a human stunt man to perform. That is why we have digital stunt doubles. Othere shots, like many of the Spiderman shots, are physically impossible for an actor or stuntman to perform. Therefore, once again, digital stunt doubles are used. As for the Star Wars prequels. Those movies used just as many practical effects and sets as they did digital. Digital sets were used to either fill out a practical set or to creatr a set that was otherwise impossible to create. The same is true with digital effects and digital actors like many of the aliens. Most of those aliens could not be created without the use of digital technology. We would never have been able to see Yoda duking it out in lightsaber duels with Dooku and the Empreror if he were still a hand puppet. The only way to do those sequences is with a CG Yoda. In The Matrix and its sequels, the obvious CG effects are done to make it look like it takes place in a surreal Virtual reality. I wouldn't call that bad use of CG. It fits because that is the environmet in which the characters are living and interacting, and it does indeed help to convey that environment. Also, believe it or not, many of those shots are done using simple camera tricks and simply enhanced with some digital effects.

Simply put, CGI is just another tool a movie maker has in order to tell his story. Which tools he chooses to use depend on several factors including cost, safety, practicality and needs of the story. Practical effects have built in limitations that can never be overcome. CG effects are limited only by the artist's imagination. And for a science fiction or fantasy movie, CG effects are an invaluable tool without which, many of these movies could not be realized. We would never have the SW prequels without CG technology. We would not have the Lord of the Rings trilogy without CG technology. We would not have the Chronicals of Narnia without CGI technology. We wouldn't have the Spiderman movies without CGI technology. It would not onyl be too cost prohibitive, but also too dangerous, or simply impossible to pull off without this valuable tool.

And, yes, projects like FF; The Spirits Within are obviously made to be entertaining, but they are also made primarily to push the envelope of the technology. To see what the technology is capable of so that it can be applied to other films. By working to create fully photo-realistic CG humans allows them to perfect multiple CG challences such as realistic hair, clothing, skin textures, and so much more which can later be applied individually. It allows them to perfect the design and creation of photo-realistic digital environments which helps in other movies which needs to combine digital and practicla environments seemlessly. The more real they can make the digital environments, the better CG environmemts will blend in with a practical set in another film. That is the importance of projects like Final Fantasy: the Spirits Within.

In my experienc what every artist truly wants, is to be paid.

In my experienc what every artist truly wants, is to be paid.

That too, but, as an artist myself, I can tell you with absolute certainty, that it is much more than that. Artists create their works out of a need to create, because they have a story to tell, or a need to push the envelope of their given medium. They create because they have a vision and want to realize that vision. If all they were interested in was a paycheck, there are much easier and less stressful ways of doing it.

STOP! You're all wrong. Last Starfighter FTW

Give me my TRON.

End of Line.

Archived