Best CGI we have seen thus far?

Teh INTERNETS ^_^

FF the spirits within.

Good example. :thumb

My take on Final Fantasy is though the CGI was amazing for the most part I never was really impressed by "photo realistic humans" in a cartoon. Seriously if you're going to take all of that money/effort to design non cartoon people why not just use a live action cast to begin with. What impressed me however was the secondary CGI used for weapons/vehicles/ships what not. From what I remember it was all executed very well & was what IMO made the human caracters stand out oddly as cartoons. (Just did not mesh) Animating something non human stands a lot better chance looking real on screen IMO. I know ILM had nothing to do with TSW but just seeing this alone allowed me to believe something like transformers would be possible in a real world enviroment using CGI someday. I personally think CGI people look best in cartoon medium oposed to being realistic. Pixar IMO seems to be the best at this with Dreamworks not far behind.

Comparable CGI. Jurrassic Park is a no brainer, King Kong was absolutely stunning, (In that I mean both the effect/character interaction with live cast.) LOTR pulled some impressive CGI. Two of my pesonal faves for believable effects/CGI though not the best movies eve made remain to be Fifth Element, & Starship Troopers. Starship Troopers in particular pulled off some incredible CGI/light shadow/interaction shots. The Spiderman movies though not the best CG are still acceptable/believable in the context of the superhero genre. By that I mean even though it's CG it's not horrible enough to take one as myself out of the movie. Honorable mention to the podracer scene in EP1. That was just cool.

Not so good CGI. (Blot excecuted so badly I was literally taken out of the movie.

Die Another Day. CGI Brosnan appearing as if he was in a PS2 game literally had me say WTF.

Air Force One. Plane crash at the end was so horribly fake/animated I rofled tell it hurt.

Matrix Reloaded. The Freeway chase was cool but even in the trailer one could obviously see CGI vehicles in several shots rushing by. Two trucks colliding was also difficult to watch without :roll

That's all I got now.

As long a Transformers doesn't do anything as atrocious I'm happy.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thew reason why they did it in Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was to find out if it could be done. It was done for the sole purpose of pushing the envelope of computer generated animation. That is the sdame reason why we have completely computer generated graphic novels like Batman" Digital Justice. They are done to see how far computer graphics and animation can be pushed.

Bloody hell, calm down children... [gives annoyed, knowing glances to Tramp and Siburke] :tfmad

I motion this thread be renamed "Siburke and Tramp's [names in alphabetical order] existential argument on the nature of fact, reality and inevitable change within a universal scientific paradigm", then get Sharptooth to re-open his thread on whether the GGI in the Transformers movie is the best to date.

Now play nicely, you two - and stop upsetting poor young Sharptooth...

[Disclaimer - I'm not making fun of/flaming anybody - just trying to point out that this has gotten a bit out of hand...]

...Matrix Reloaded. The Freeway chase was cool but even in the trailer one could obviously see CGI vehicles in several shots rushing by. Two trucks colliding was also difficult to watch without :roll

I love Reloaded (favorite of the three, taken together)! I've watched the freeway chase scene many many times and it is THE BEST chase scene ever FILMED... I say this because the world will end in 32 hours and nothing better has/is going to be released. They used real cars and CGI cars in a very convincing manner (mainly the motorcycle scenes). Watch the making of and be amazed. I bet the trailer had unpolished effects in it just to make deadline. I'm not saying that your opinion is wrong, I'm just saying that mine is different :thumb

I say this because the world will end in 32 hours

No-one told me that - if I'd've known, I'd have spent the day with my parents, rather than going to my law classes.

Damn. I had plans for the weekend, too...

Err... why exactly is the world ending in 32 hours?

My problem with adding the Matrix to this was that when it got to be CGI, it was too fake. IE The Smiths VS Neo fight in Reloaded where you can see clearly there is nobody fighting. even for the simple ducks and swings. Same thing with neo's "Superman thing" when you see the digital flaws of body mocking with stretching necks (Anybody Live through Catwoman? Halle Berry 'does her own stunts' my cobalt armored keister).

it just goes into the bin of "CGI because we Can, not because we need it" Like, What was once 1,000$ in stormtrooper armor is now 1,000$ in electric bills to digitally clone and animate one storm trooper.

Bloody hell, calm down children... [gives annoyed, knowing glances to Tramp and Siburke] :tfmad

I motion this thread be renamed "Siburke and Tramp's [names in alphabetical order] existential argument on the nature of fact, reality and inevitable change within a universal scientific paradigm", then get Sharptooth to re-open his thread on whether the GGI in the Transformers movie is the best to date.

Now play nicely, you two - and stop upsetting poor young Sharptooth...

[Disclaimer - I'm not making fun of/flaming anybody - just trying to point out that this has gotten a bit out of hand...]

Stop.

Thew reason why they did it in Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was to find out if it could be done. It was done for the sole purpose of pushing the envelope of computer generated animation. That is the sdame reason why we have completely computer generated graphic novels like Batman" Digital Justice. They are done to see how far computer graphics and animation can be pushed.

I thought they wanted stacks of Money. Silly me.

Actually, they aren't all that unatainable. Cops and prosecuters use facts as evidence in crimes all the time. Facts are self-evident. It is a fact that the natural color of the Earth's sky is blue. We can see it every day. We don't need evidence to prove it to be blue, it is self-evident. We can observe it every day. It is a fact that fire burns. It is a fact that water is wet. What the word "ever" means comes straight from the Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language. And What a definition does is to clarifiy facts and make them exact. it specifies exactly what something means so that there can be no confusion. Definition: the act of defining or making definite or clear. Definite: Clearly defined or determined; not vague or general; fixed; precise; exact. Fact: 1, That which actually exists; reality. 2, Something known to exsist or to have happened. 3, a truth known by actual experience or observations; that which is known to be true.—(Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, 1991) Those aren't my words. Those came straight from the dictionary. Now, I have never even heard of this Hiseberg, you refer to. but facts are attainable. They can be observed every day.

The definition of the word "ever" determines exactly what that word means, and limits the parameters of the subject that the word "ever" is attached to. Therefore, anything beyond those limitations is false.

They sky is not blue to the color blind, and for that matter what you see as blue might be green to me. Fire is a realase of Fire other things burn to create fire. Water can make things wet but is not. Everything is realtative. When we say ever, we mean with in the world realative to our experience... I think the rest of us get that. I can concoct semantic nonsense to counter all of your semantic nonsence. If the world was defined by the dictionary then would reality shift when we shifted into diferent languages that did not adhere to websters? Fact is in the senses of the beholder.

For that matter why don't we pick apart the word "best" how much more subjective or opinion based can you get. It is entirly possible that someone could feel that this was the "best" cgi ever no matter what any one may some day make. Get over it.

Archived