Best CGI we have seen thus far?

Teh INTERNETS ^_^

Tramp, nobody likes a literialist.

TB, I have never claimed to not be a literalist. I don't call a spade a spade, I call it a bleeping shovel because that is what it is. I honestly don't care if people like it or not. It is nothing personal. My only concern is the facts, nothing more and nothing less. I gave an honest, straight-forward, factual answer to the question asked and got unfairly lambasted for doing so.

Is the CGI in the new movie the best CGI ever? No, it isn't because there is the chance, and a highly likely one, that it may be surpassed in the future, given the continuing advances in computer imaging technology. And, as long as that chance exists, then it cannot be considered the best "ever". Is it the best CGI to date? It very well may be. That is purely subjective. Personally, I would say yes. Someone else may not agree. To each his own.

My question is why you get to be the arbiter of "fact". I think someone needs to read up on his Hiseberg.

Facts are elusive things. What you have are opinions about notions that you consider to be facts.

One of these lock-happy mods should be here any second now...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will agree that Final Fantasy: the Spoirits within was ground-breaking CG animation, and the most photo-realistic CG renderings and animation of Human beings yet made, but it still isn't the best "ever". They could proboably do even better now if they tried.

I will agree that Final Fantasy: the Spoirits within was ground-breaking CG animation, and the most photo-realistic CG renderings and animation of Human beings yet made, but it still isn't the best "ever". They could proboably do even better now if they tried.

What if they never do? Then is it the best ever?

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just saying...

My question is why you get to be the arbiter of "fact". I think someone needs to read up on his Hiseberg.

Facts are elusive things. What you have are opinions about notions that you consider to be facts.

PC, I never tried to be, nor have I claimed to be. I simply use facts in any and all discussions or debates I am involved in.

As for what the fact is, was taken directly from the dictionary. And, no, facts are not elusive things. They are very concrete and always true, by definition.

Now, Hobbes, I havern't seen that international trailer yet, do you ave a link?

PC, I never tried to be, nor have I claimed to be. I simply use facts in any and all discussions or debates I am involved in.

As for what the fact is, was taken directly from the dictionary. And, no, facts are not elusive things. They are very concrete and always true, by definition.

That definition is why they are unatianable. By opening up the "ever means..." question you have strayed into the esoteric, and run into the philisophical end of the uncertainty principal! Your "facts" are other peoples theorys and still ofhers fiction. Definition does not make fact. Fact makes definition.

Try Harder.

As long as there is even the slightest chance of improvement, then no. Once the pinnical of the technology is reached, and there is no chance whatsoever of it advancing any further, then, and only then, will we be able to say that something is the best ever, and that is likely never to occur. As long as there is a chance of something surpassing the current best, that current best is not the best ever, it is only the curent best.

In all honesty, the only thing, that can even be considered to be the best ever is a man from the Bible named Solomon, the wisest man "ever". If you believe the bible, He asked to be made so wise that no one before him nor after him could surpass him in wisdom. He is really the only real example of the vbest "ever" because his wisdom cannot be surpassed.

I think this topic is a silly question. No one has seen it! How can we discuss it's place in history? It's still the future!

"Best Ever" is subjective to everyone's tastes and opinions.

However, there are groundbreaking movies - Jurassic Park was for the realisitic VFX of moving creatures. This movie very well could be just like Jurassic Park, groundbreaking and very intensely-awesome on certain levels. Then again, this movie could NOT be done that well, it just depends on the final looks, but so far - it's just really well done with tons of details.

As long as there is even the slightest chance of improvement, then no. Once the pinnical of the technology is reached, and there is no chance whatsoever of it advancing any further, then, and only then, will we be able to say that something is the best ever, and that is likely never to occur. As long as there is a chance of something surpassing the current best, that current best is not the best ever, it is only the curent best.

In all honesty, the only thing, that can even be considered to be the best ever is a man from the Bible named Solomon, the wisest man "ever". If you believe the bible, He asked to be made so wise that no one before him nor after him could surpass him in wisdom. He is really the only real example of the vbest "ever" because his wisdom cannot be surpassed.

You speak of facts in one moment, and Chances in the future the next. What about a best ever Van Gogh. Or the best ever shakespere. I imagine once ther was a best ever t-rex.

Not that tha matters.

That definition is why they are unatianable. By opening up the "ever means..." question you have strayed into the esoteric, and run into the philisophical end of the uncertainty principal! Your "facts" are other peoples theorys and still ofhers fiction. Definition does not make fact. Fact makes definition.

Try Harder.

Actually, they aren't all that unatainable. Cops and prosecuters use facts as evidence in crimes all the time. Facts are self-evident. It is a fact that the natural color of the Earth's sky is blue. We can see it every day. We don't need evidence to prove it to be blue, it is self-evident. We can observe it every day. It is a fact that fire burns. It is a fact that water is wet. What the word "ever" means comes straight from the Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language. And What a definition does is to clarifiy facts and make them exact. it specifies exactly what something means so that there can be no confusion. Definition: the act of defining or making definite or clear. Definite: Clearly defined or determined; not vague or general; fixed; precise; exact. Fact: 1, That which actually exists; reality. 2, Something known to exsist or to have happened. 3, a truth known by actual experience or observations; that which is known to be true.—(Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, 1991) Those aren't my words. Those came straight from the dictionary. Now, I have never even heard of this Hiseberg, you refer to. but facts are attainable. They can be observed every day.

The definition of the word "ever" determines exactly what that word means, and limits the parameters of the subject that the word "ever" is attached to. Therefore, anything beyond those limitations is false.

You speak of facts in one moment, and Chances in the future the next. What about a best ever Van Gogh. Or the best ever shakespere. I imagine once ther was a best ever t-rex.

Not that tha matters.

Well, can Van Gough ever produce any more paintings? Can Shakespear write any more plays? No on both counts, they are both dead. Therefore, we can say, based upon our own opinions which piece of their work is the best they ever created because they will never create any more.

I think this topic is a silly question. No one has seen it! How can we discuss it's place in history? It's still the future!

Exactly! And that is why we cannot determine that the CG effects of this movie are the best ever, because there is the chance that some future piece of CG effects may surpass it. We can only determine if they are the best to date, based upon our own tastes.

Archived