Best CGI we have seen thus far?

Teh INTERNETS ^_^

Again. JP and TF are sharing a common bond of Real animatronics and CGI counterparts. If Transformers took the traditional ILM route. we'd have no cars either i suppose. Give me animatronics any day, but I like the CGI for the bots we're getting.

also. Pixar hasn't done any 'live action' work per say but Cars was the closest theyve ever gotten to Photorealism, especially in the backgrounds. but talking cars? Who wants to see a movie with photo realistic talking cars?!?! lmao.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd like to see what Pixar could do. I consider them the top in the biz but Dreamworks is right behind them with Disney trailing the pack.

doesnt Pixar do cartoons and not photorealistic live action stuff?

I dont see how they could be compared.

I was waiting for someone to say that. While yes their movies are cartoonish it doesn't stop them from being the best at what they do. As I learned (just now) they are now owned by Disney but not all their work has been cartoons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixar#Early_history

I would love to see what Pixar could do with a live action movie.

Their films aren't cartoon-ish, they're straight up cartoons.

Which is not to knock their product at all. Some of my favorite movies of any kind from the last several years are Pixar features.

But that doesn't mean it isn't apples and oranges when comparing them to ILM. Animation and live action in the film world are two completely different ways of telling story and involve very different process from even the conception stage and while there are similar tasks and challanges associated with animating Mr. Incredible or a swordfighting Yoda, there are huge differences as well.

As stated earlier. Jurassic park is still absolutely awesome to look at.

I recently saw SW episode II in HD, and It's amazing how the real life & CG don't mix. I swear, in some scenes, I can even see where the real set is blended with the CG set.

Their films aren't cartoon-ish, they're straight up cartoons.

Which is not to knock their product at all. Some of my favorite movies of any kind from the last several years are Pixar features.

But that doesn't mean it isn't apples and oranges when comparing them to ILM. Animation and live action in the film world are two completely different ways of telling story and involve very different process from even the conception stage and while there are similar tasks and challanges associated with animating Mr. Incredible or a swordfighting Yoda, there are huge differences as well.

yeah I guess calling the new movie a cartoon would be more accurate even though there are live people in it acting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartoon#Motion_pictures

....subtopic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism

Hobbes is right, The new TF movie is far from being a cartoon. Yes, the movie Transfomers are computer generated images, but the way they are created, and how they blend in with the real world environment is completely different. It is a difference in the style, type, and execution of animation used. Animation does not always equal cartoon. Cartoons are a type of animation, but the reverse is not true, animation is not a type of cartoon. Pixar's animation style, while using CGI, is cartoon animation, the animation used to creat the transformers in the new movie is photo-realistic, live action CGI. They are two totally different things.

As for whether or not the movie Transformers are the best CGI ever? No, they aren't. They are the best to date, but not "ever". For them to be the best CGI "ever", no CGI creations before nor since could surpass these creations. In other words, no future CGI creations would surpass the movie transformers in life-like quality. There are very few people, stories, or pieces of art (regardless of medium), which can be considered the best "ever". You could probably count them on one hand, maybe two. As long as there is room for the medium to improve, there will never be a best CGI "ever".

As for whether or not the movie Transformers are the best CGI ever? No, they aren't. They are the best to date, but not "ever". For them to be the best CGI "ever", no CGI creations before nor since could surpass these creations. In other words, no future CGI creations would surpass the movie transformers in life-like quality. There are vey few people, stories, or pieces of art (regardless of medium), which can be considered the best "ever". You could probably count them on one hand, maybe two. As long as there is room for the medium to improve, there will never be a best CGI "ever".

There may be a best "ever" thing that we just aren't aware of at the time. Maybe one of us will be right when we say "I think it's the best ever" because it may never be surpassed. Room for improvement =/= improvement.

creat
vey
Transfomers

If you're going to berate someone for their thread title, then the least you could do is spell correctly. You know full well what the title means, so why be so petty?

Siburke, I have no idea what you are talking about. I am not berating anyone, nor being petty, and to insinuate that I am, is insulting at best, so please, knock it off. This thread is asking people's opinions, and I gave mine, let's not turn it into a flame-fest.

You was being petty. That's not debatable.

Archived