Best CGI we have seen thus far?

Teh INTERNETS ^_^

But all I ever really ask is to not be taken out of the movie by the visual effects. (Something all of the Spider-Man movies are guilty of IMO.)

And the SW prequels as well.

Good special effects aren't cool and flashy. Good special effects you can't even tell are there because everything looks real.

Actually, I thought RotS had some of the best CG ever... just about everything in that movie was CGI

including the performances, lol

Revenge of the Sith?

Yeah, this is where Lucas got it wrong. By making it ALL cgi (which your right, he basically did) then it just looks like a snappy video game. It's harder to get into it.

Performances? That movie had performances? I thought it was just another division of the graphics team? :tftongue

And to the Spawn point; I think it was nowhere near as groundbreaking as say JP or Abyss (anyone?). Maybe it was just me that hated the graphics in that movie (the repeated "spawns" in the hell sequences...ugh). But this isn't a Spawn argument thread :tfhuh

TF looks like pretty amazing graphics. The movements and are spectacular...and I've just seen gifs and youtube bits :tflaugh1

Money goes a long way and the mixture of a contemporary/real setting and the robots makes it work so well. Cybertron bits will be the hardest to be convincing since SO much will rely on cgi/alien settings.

Little things like seeing Blackout's blades moving during the Megs&OP fight and other such details are what makes my heart go flutter.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's quite a bit in this movie that counts as ADVANCEMENTS compared to ILMs previous works. For starters, CGI Robots were planted into real environments with real people compared to real people on CGI Blue screens. Also placemarker models like Prime's head which fit the traditional role of CGI paint overs. Also. 1/1 scale REAL Bumblebee, Megatron, Frenzy models. NUFF FRICKEN SAID BABY!!!!!

Bay wants realism so he goes for the real effect shots such as pan/zoom outs where you see not only the CGI object, but the environment it reacts to. We saw this when they filmed Barricade's "INTEROGATION" with Sam in the parking garage. What was Shia being tortured by a backhoe with a spike is now a robot with a cerated grill. This gives us not only an awesome moment, but it was really great to see the kid be terrified by the thought that he might actually get killed while filming that scene. I'm not being cruel, but it just added to the moment that there was something for him to interact with (not like Senator Portman talking to a little green "X" thats supposed to be Yoda).

I watched the new trailer in HD and watched the still frames and I saw quite a bit that Star Wars lacked.

one: When Megatron's about to swing his mace at Sam on the top of that building, you see the sun is directed on Sam's back, and shining towards megatron. The light not only casts the correct shadow, but the sun's reflection is in the corresponding, correct location. Contrary to effects of reflection and environment when compared to Star Wars (Ep2: ObiWan comes out of a storm and into a polished room, the CGI creature casts a reflection perfectly, ObiWan doesn't).

two: Impact, when characters are placed in an evironment and have a solid interaction such as foot prints, heavy shadows. From the most I've seen of the film through the trailers, the bots not only have a solid place, but leave a mark. This is a combination of well keyed special effects to the CGI implants: the battle in downtown LA, explosions corresponding to the blasts and so forth. Best example of this is Ironhide's Barrel roll, the real action behind him and the CGI incoming missiles that respond with real explosions.

There is one flaw however that I've seen but its a traditional error that has the capacity to occur and its 'floating' When an object is planted, the animation might not entirely add up due to technical difficulties and the end result is the object floating above the ground level. This can be spotted back to Trailer #2 when Josh Dumal slides under Blackout. You will see there is a sort of halo around Blackout's feet. This was a major issue I had with Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children. It was the scene where Vincent comes in, saves the girl and she hides under his cape. The camera zoomed in on her feet and you see the shadow cast UNDER her and Vincent's feet.

Technical Advancements: Real. Articulated. Robots. I've watched that last bit of Trailer #2 with Optimus' flex and ready pose. You see not only do each part of the vehicle translate into skin, but how every mechanical component simulates human muscle. Compared to Star Wars droids or the Sentinels from the Matrix, every part and piece is not simulated with Texture mapping and solid parts. The Droids were sticks, the Sentinels were tenticles with textured joints.

The subtle accents to the movement are what are really amazing. To see that when they stand up, they're not just standing there stiff (Again, Star Wars and their CGI Clone Armies that don't move). The first shot of Bumblebee transformed infront of Sam, he's shifting in his stance. The shots of Optimus in the International trailer where he's behind Sam's house. His hands come up, flex and he cautiously presses his palms against the building.

the First shot we had of Starscream is another perfect example in this, considering his transformation, and his heavy landing.

While this film might have a lot of 'CGI special effects' its the first of its kind to really go like it did. Everything with high end special effects this past year has either done something thats already been done (IE Spider Man 3's Sandman is an advanced concept of the Mummy, Pirates 3 has more of Pirates 2) but nothing like TF is doing.

But all I ever really ask is to not be taken out of the movie by the visual effects. (Something all of the Spider-Man movies are guilty of IMO.)

Good special effects aren't cool and flashy. Good special effects you can't even tell are there because everything looks real.

Actually, I thought RotS had some of the best CG ever... just about everything in that movie was CGI

What about the parts where the Jango Fetts' heads were floating off their CGI stormtrooper bodies? It was worse than Han Solo's head flying off his shoulders to dodge Greedo's first-shooting. I still can't believe they were too lazy to make real costumes.

I think there's a huge difference between making a CG robot and a CG person / animal / creature... We have real-world experience with people and animals, and know instinctively how they move etc. Which makes it that much harder to render them convincingly in CGI. Giant robots... not so much. About all we can judge them by is how well they're composited and textured.

I did notice that the production still of Megatron atop that clock tower was a bit off -- he was more in-focus than the rest of the shot -- but overall I've been extremely impressed.

:pfx

Especaily about the CG person/animal thing. I think animated robots vs. animated people is kind of apples and oranges.

I noticed in the prime getting tackled shot that the physics kinda felt wrong. Seemed like they were made of tinfoil. Like two battle droids running into eacho other.

It mostly seems to LOOK great though. But a great cg model can look silly if not enough attention is payed to it.

What about the parts where the Jango Fetts' heads were floating off their CGI stormtrooper bodies? It was worse than Han Solo's head flying off his shoulders to dodge Greedo's first-shooting. I still can't believe they were too lazy to make real costumes.

They filmed the actor in a motion capture suit... but I don't disagree with you

I don't mean literally everything about the movie was perfect, but considering that 99% of everything you saw was CG, I think there's still a ton of great work in that movie.

And it *was* done by ILM, who's also doing the TF movie....

I'd like to see what Pixar could do. I consider them the top in the biz but Dreamworks is right behind them with Disney trailing the pack.

doesnt Pixar do cartoons and not photorealistic live action stuff?

I dont see how they could be compared.

Yeah. Spider man, I cant tell sometimes what's CG and what ain't. The would be a better thing if it didn't all look CG.

I can still watch Jurassic Park and still be fooled to this day that Dinos are real. Godzilla on the other hand.....

Archived