Best CGI we have seen thus far?

Teh INTERNETS ^_^

From what we have seen in the trailers this new film looks to have the single most realistic CGI in any film to date. (Of course thats from what we have seen, the bits we have not seen might be crappy.) I'm just trying to remember if any film has even come close to what we've seen so far in terms of detailed and realistic CGI. Even King Kong of 2005's CGI looks dated in comparison to Transformers.

Are we about to bear witness to something truly groundbreaking here?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From what we have seen in the trailers this new film looks to have the single most realistic CGI in any film to date. (Of course thats from what we have seen, the bits we have not seen might be crappy.) I'm just trying to remember if any film has even come close to what we've seen so far in terms of detailed and realistic CGI. Even King Kong of 2005's CGI looks dated in comparison to Transformers.

Are we about to bear witness to something truly groundbreaking here?

No. The story is extremely standard. Aliens are coming to earth an kick each others and our ass. Groundbreaking stuff is usually something we really haven't seem yet. Not improving on old stories and effects.

CGI has a shelf life; this'll look terrible in 18 months - two years time.

And no, sorry, I don't think it's the best ever - you can kind of tell it's not real - too much shine to it.

As to the best, look at stuff that was groundbreaking: Jurrasic Park, the Violator effects in Spawn (just try and forget the Malbolgia bits...) and Peter Jackson's The Frighteners - 'Death' in that still bears up really well. I was gutted when I found out that the live action Neon Genesis movie by Weta Workshop had fallen through.

Oh, and Weta's Werewolf vs. Vampire effects in Van Helsing - those are only just starting to date.

That's not to say Transformers doesn't look good, though - just bear in mind that it'll be appearing on a much bigger screen in two month's time.

I think there's a huge difference between making a CG robot and a CG person / animal / creature... We have real-world experience with people and animals, and know instinctively how they move etc. Which makes it that much harder to render them convincingly in CGI. Giant robots... not so much. About all we can judge them by is how well they're composited and textured.

I did notice that the production still of Megatron atop that clock tower was a bit off -- he was more in-focus than the rest of the shot -- but overall I've been extremely impressed.

But all I ever really ask is to not be taken out of the movie by the visual effects. (Something all of the Spider-Man movies are guilty of IMO.)

CGI has a shelf life; this'll look terrible in 18 months - two years time.

And no, sorry, I don't think it's the best ever - you can kind of tell it's not real - too much shine to it.

As to the best, look at stuff that was groundbreaking: Jurrasic Park, the Violator effects in Spawn (just try and forget the Malbolgia bits...) and Peter Jackson's The Frighteners - 'Death' in that still bears up really well. I was gutted when I found out that the live action Neon Genesis movie by Weta Workshop had fallen through.

Oh, and Weta's Werewolf vs. Vampire effects in Van Helsing - those are only just starting to date.

That's not to say Transformers doesn't look good, though - just bear in mind that it'll be appearing on a much bigger screen in two month's time.

i agree that sumn better will come along in time.. but that doesnt mean TF looks the best so far... the movies u listed WERE the best. not anymore. jurassic park was trumped by its sequels (not in storyline, but CGI) as well as the latest king kong (which IMO is the reigning "king" of special fx movies to date). spawn is goin thru repeats on TBS and it looks horrible now (the violators movements look stiff, and the shots are hardly complex). Death in the frighteners is hella cool, but the dementors in harry potter destroy that model.

sure, itll be on a bigger screen. but compared to a computer monitor, that sharpness and "shine" will not be visible... unless this film is being distributed digitally and shown at digital theatres.. maybe then, ur keen eye will pick up this "shine".

until another movie with cg models of that scale and detail, moving that fast, doing such complex movements comes along, gotta say, TF is #1 right now.

But all I ever really ask is to not be taken out of the movie by the visual effects. (Something all of the Spider-Man movies are guilty of IMO.)

And the SW prequels as well.

Good special effects aren't cool and flashy. Good special effects you can't even tell are there because everything looks real.

I think what I've seen of Transformers that IMO sets it apart from other things, is that usually, when a company spends 4 million dollars on a 1 minute CGI shot, they feel that we MUST see every aspect of the details. But with Transformers, while they show us alot of details alot of the time, they aren't afraid to understand that IRL lighting is a factor. See Teletran2's sig for what i mean. Look how much shadow falls on the bot.

Good special effects aren't cool and flashy. Good special effects you can't even tell are there because everything looks real.

Amen to that - go back and watch Terminator 2; no, not the now dated melty metal bits, but all the shots like when (near the end) someone blasts a shotgun hole into the T1000's head: when it turns around, that's not some clever 'prosthetics and bluescreen what's behind him onto where the hole should be' shot, but actually a masterful animatronic puppet made by Stan Winston - I only found out that it wasn't the real Robert Patrick when I got bored one day and watched all the making-of featurettes on the DVD. The film's full of 'take it for granted' moments like that, which are pretty much seamless: I think this is the biggest case for why the movie should have been done the way Don Murphy/Tom DeSanto envisioned it - made with almost entirely practical shots of animatronic robots - CGI would only have been used to fill in the gap of them transforming from vehicle to robot...

And the SW prequels as well.

Actually, I thought RotS had some of the best CG ever... just about everything in that movie was CGI

including the performances, lol

Archived