Botcon DREADWIND is up

UltraMarknus

The key word is concept. Defensor never went into production, no order was ever placed, so since he technically is still in the concept stage, and right to produce him fall to Hasbro without any strings that I know of.

Thrust is different, since we did in fact pay and place an order for those to be produced.

a-haaaa

thanks for the answer :thumb

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well most may not like him but I really hope that some form of this hits the store shelves, maybe with the new head, repainted in darker colors and renamed dark wing. I would just go for another jetfire mold

*Gag* ... Since the $hi7 hit the fan back in the Dirge post, I've secretly hoped that somehow this set would redeem itself. I'm disappointed to see that it didn't.

And before the browbeating starts, YES, I understand the nature of con exclusives, and that remolds are a big deal to be used sparingly. But there is also a need to use them cleverly, where they will make maximum impact with minimum fuss. The Beast Wars set from last year was clever, even if I didn't care for the notion. This year? I can only offer my own aesthetic concerns, but IMHO -- these toys reek of poor judgement and wasted potential. If I were going to get the set (And I'm not, not because I can't afford it, but because I can kitbash better myself) I would keep the three seekers and sell the rest on Ebay.

Let's see what we've got here:

Dirge: Straight repaint, where even a TINY remold (Add another fin to the front piece of the wing) would have been enough to quiet dissention. Tolerable, if disappointing. Providing the fans with the unreleased remaining members of a team from an ostensibly dead toy line is a noble gesture, but this figure is a hit and a miss. A fine example of how Botcon management logic doesn't always match fan logic.

He should have used Dreadwind's 'New Part Mold' token to get accurate wings.

Thundercracker: The archetypical repaint, expected and deserving of at least a web exclusive release, but packaged in with a bunch of scrubs. The flat-out, unimaginative G1 stylings don't mesh with the rest of the classics figures, but he's blue, and I guess that's what matters. Way to half-ass it.

He should have used Bugbite's 'New Paint App' token to get some decent wing apps.

Thrust: The one everyone was waiting for, and the one real treat from the entire lot. People who buy the set are probably doing it just to get this guy, with TC and Dirge as bonuses, and two throwaways. I like him, I wish I had him, but for the price, I can live without him until I make my own.

He's fine the way he is. If this is the only way he can exist, then so be it.

Bugbite: Come on. We already got one cop-out repaint in the form of Cliffjumper... this might as well have been 'Ghost Bumblebee' or 'Freshly Powdered Cliffjumper'. If there's one glaringly obvious character trait to Bumblebee, it's his face and head, and here we get him again, smiling, with horns and all. And what's with the tribal styling? Thundercracker gets generic pinstripes, but the wretched bee repaint gets a whole new paint app? Whatever happened to 'focusing attention on figures people want'?

He should have given his paint app to Thundercracker, and been molded in Gold Plastic as Goldbug.

Dreadwind: Oh boy! An obscure character using a mold he looks nothing like to make a fugly-colored toy that can't even take advantage of the G1 figure's sole gimmick. Oh, and let's remold the head that you can't see because it's under a helmet most of the time! I'm sorry, but this toy is an EXERCISE is wasted potential. The eye-bleeding colors match the geewun. Hooray. It's still Classics Jetfire's body. Might as well have remolded Classics Mirage as Drag Strip for as much sense as it makes. Another example of how Botcon logic doesn't always match fan logic.

He should have given his remold token to Dirge, and been replaced with a Nemesis Prime repaint of Classics Prime instead.

Just my opinions, not that it changes anything and not that anyone REALLY cares. Just sayin'.

I wonder if the Botcon fellows have ever considered doing what some Japanese cons do, and release 'upgrade kits' instead?

Say, a new head or arm for an existing figure, (like actual plug-in arms for Alt Rumble) or an accessory like a gun for Classics Cliffjumper, or Trailer for Classics Prime, or in the case of a more significant undertaking, Armor for Classics Magnus?

I would have liked to see the helmet done in Dark Wings colors, maybe a navy blue or something. but that's just me... However, the wings on it are more of Dark Wings then Dreadwinds (or vice versa).

Yes I would have wanted a Defensor, even in the classics line itself.... hint,hint Hasbro!

But not going to botcon for yet another single figure from a set.... made that mistake of Deathsaurus... not again for Dreadwing.

@whomever said the Nemesis Jetfire thing..... you are a Powerglidetard! you call yourself a gen 1 fan thats pathetic....Nemesis anything didn't exist in Gen 1....dumbass!

How would you [botCon] feel about holding polls or something next year to help decide the characters? Maybe talk on a few forums about the set beforehand & shortlist some ideas for the fans to choose from? At least then you can say "well you wanted this" if people start moaning!

That wouldn't help. every one wouldn't vote for the same thing so some one would still be pissed.

It would help.

4 people chatting over biscuits came up with this set. I'd rather see the people buying it get it wrong.

Democracy isn't perfect but it is the best way IMO.

Whats with that big toothy grin? is that supposed to be a faceplate or something?
Well Hello There!! AARRRR

Hmm.. I thought that was like styrofoam that the head sculptor used as a base or something. It has that beady styrofoam texture look.

Every time I hear "Darkwing" I think of Darkwing Duck...

I'm not going to BotCon or buying the set, but I think this is actually a decent homage to an interesting G1 character.

Mind you, most people aren't so familiar with the character, so there you'll get your complaints.

Siburke, now come on ;), how do you think that could work? Design teams with ANY company do not put a poll out there to see what they can or can't do. Hasbro does not poll 30 million kids to see what toys they like. Rather they do Marketing research to see what the trends are and so on. We also do research and there are forms at BotCon, pretty extensive actually, which asks what molds you would like to see, which characters and so on. We all look at those and see what ideas we can gleam from them and mix that with our own gut feeling on what would do well....

And what is wrong with Biscuits?

I still think there should have been a Sunstorm in this set.... Just say no to Nemesis Prime!

But I know one thing for sure, If(that's a big if) I had the money to buy out this collectors club and the botcon people I would however listen to the fans, not the kiss asses that are the botcon collectors and produced a decent set of classics decepticons... that's for damn sure. not using names of decepticons people never heard of.

Archived