KO Lucky Draw Skydive

Rawhide

Since I’m unwilling to spend the money required to buy the lucky draw Optimus Primal’s, I’ve decided some time ago that I was going to paint them myself. (Still haven’t gotten around to it.) Of course, one of the releases is a chrome gold version and, as most of us know, chrome gold can be hard to create without actual chrome. So I tried a little experiment that I had heard others use.

I took a KO G1 Skydive and used clear paint over a cote of metallic silver and put a glossy cote on top. I’m not too dissatisfied with the result, although it might have been better had I used clear yellow instead of clear orange (but the lid really looked like chrome gold so I went with that :P ).

As I said, it’s an experiment so I didn’t spend too much time on it. Only airbrushed one layer of silver and also only one layer of clear orange and it clearly shows in uneven colors and the silver shining through the orange, and the original blue at places coming through the silver.

Ah well, too bad...it was and is after all just an experiment.

Nevertheless, I do feel the colors look nice.

The chrome silver parts (wings and nosecone) were already like that.

Robot

Robotpic.jpg

Jet

Jetpic.jpg

Looks nice. Do you remember a ways back there was a series of "titanium" or pewter-looking custom paint jobs that someone posted here? This sort of reminds me of that. Personally I like metallic paint jobs so it's easy to win me over with items like this.

Was it a lot of work?

Thanks all for the nice comments.

Gargunkle: yeah, I remember those figures. Those looked pretty good and interesting.

If I had done this exactly right then it would've been a bit more work with proper sanding and more than one layer of each color.

But basically all you do is apply a layer of metallic silver and when that has properly dried (I remember reading on transtopia that someone had let it dry for two weeks and then polished it for a better effect) apply two or more layers of clear paint and finally a glossy cote.

You should get a metallic look.

I'm going to try the same technique with two Beastwars repaints I'm currently prepping (sanding and adding parts) to get the transmetal look. (Should be finished sometime in the distant future unless I get to take some time off from work...or manage to clone myself which is more likely to happen :P.)

Again thanks you all. More then I had expected for a little experiment which I just posted so people could see how it looked.

I look forward to seeing your BW repaints.

If I say that patience is a virtue, I'm really making an understatement. Can currently work only about an hour per week on those two repaints and I haven't even gotten all the parts I need to make the necessary adjustments.

Months will pass before those will be completed :tfsad

Great work......What colors and paint brands did you use???

I mostly paint with enamel paint by Humbrol. This for several reasons:

- From no other brand can I get as many colors and color variations as from Humbrol with some great metallic paints and several colors in mat, satin and gloss variants.

- Humbrol paint is from itself already pretty thin so it's easy to make a smooth application. I thin it down even more to make it airbrush paint. I've also found that because Humbrol paints are very thin, they are very fluid resulting in a nice even finish.

The only downside is that these paints have a tendency to quickly seperate in their different components making it necessary to regularly stir the paint when using it for a longer period of time. The paint is also extremely troublesome to stir if not used for more then a week since the pigment clogs up at the bottom.

The metallic silver and clear orange (over silver) were done with Humbrol paints.

The flat gold and the steel on the helmet were done with Tamiya acrylics. This was forced on me this time through circumstances. Stuff smells terrible and the paint was already dry before it got to the plastic. This is also the only parts that were painted several times because neither the gold nor the steel was able to cover the original colors in two layers: the steel actually took 5 layers, the gold was applied in two layers but it should've been three.

(But it did have the advantage that I could apply the second layer within an hour after the first was applied.)

Archived