Will the movie make prices skyrocket?

Ultra-Mattus

I'm actually a little pissed about it-- for quite a while now I've wanted to complete my G1, at least complete 84-85 and now that I'm making a fair amount more money, I feel like I have to buy as much as I can before the movie comes out. You can see prices are already above where they were a year ago and now I'm feeling it.

Yep, I feel the same way. It's especially grating when I had a really nice collection about two years ago. MIB pre-rub Prime, MIB pre-rub Megatron, MIB Shockwave and Jetfire, sealed and AFA'd Metroplex, Soundwave, Thrust, Ramjet, Starscream, Magnus and Slag, plus about 80 loose complete '84-'86 bots. Had to get rid of them when I graduated as no decent employment was anywhere to be found. It just chaps my ass that now that I want to get back into it, I have to pay twice what I was paying before, and that will only go up when the movie comes out.

But whattaya gonna do? That's the price I'm paying now for spending more time boozing than looking for work back at grad time. Definitely :tdown on that nonsense! :-)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the prices will spike for a few months, but afterwards will start to drop again. What's gonna happen is that we're gonna have a lot of bandwagon jumpers who will drive G1 toy prices up for a few months, but after they fizzle out, prices will decline again.

Revisiting your Star Wars analogy, when Episode I first came out in theatres, Darth Maul became very hard to find because everyone was scalping this figure like crazy. A lot of people complained that Hasbro's supply of Darth Mauls wasn't meeting the demand. So a few months later, Hasbro went and did a second production run of Darth Mauls and released it into the market. Unfortunately by this time, demand had dropped and Darth Mauls shelf-warmed, driving the value of the Darth Mauls down - till this day it's still not a very expensive toy.

So yeah, I expect G1 demand to look like this:

fwiwthe demand relationship has to always be based on supply and price, then quantified over time. your graph is meaningless because it does not address how much g1 is in the open market. even if demand is great, price is unmoved if the supply is infinite

MBA'd

Actually, that looks more like a product lifecycle curve...

:tflaugh

It looks like a sexual arousal curve to me, the red part is when I'm performing the Congress of the Cow.

When a woman stands on her hands and feet like a quadruped, and her lover mounts her like a bull, it is called the 'congress of a cow'. At this time everything that is ordinarily done on the bosom should be done on the back.

That's basically how I feel about the G1 market right now... only I'm the quadruped.... and no, Pete, you can't be the bull.

Actually, that looks more like a product lifecycle curve...

It looks like a sexual arousal curve to me, the red part is when I'm performing the Congress of the Cow.

Do you let your Weimaraner watch?

I'm not seeing how the Movie is going to effect old ass transformer toys.. maybe the new ones comming out that are assoicated with the movie will be hot ticket items.. maybe.. but not the 80s crew. The only people who really have a vesting interest in those things are the people who grew up in the 80s. Mom and Pop aren't gonna buy Junior a Reissue Prime any time soon.

Archived