the end of "hunting"

yoshimivspr

i have had it i cant take hunting anymore the scalpers have won

between soundwave rumble and ravage i cant do it anymore the gas itself cost more than the scalped prices on ebay and atleast you get what you looking for. i fell hard today fellow TFans after going to 3 tru and 3 wallycrons this week i havent found zip ive seen tons of constructicon and tons of Titaniums but no alts or g1 love for me not to mention there are no stores in my area of dc i succumbed to the power of evilbay paying over 110 bucks for what should have cost me 70

i dunno if i can keep going all over MD and VA to find a couple bots cos some Afterburner had to make 5-10 bucks and steal away that sweet feeling of victory when you find that one bot youve been looking for

i feel so dirty

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could always move to the UK... :roll

Here here, hunting for them can be fun in itself. Especially if you're not going to find something specific. When you go out with an attitude of "I wonder what I'll find today" surprises are much nicer. But I also agree yoshimivspr, looking for a figure that constantly eludes you is frustrating. I looked for classics grim for two months before giving in to hts. Sometimes it is just better to hit up an online retailer for something you know for sure will be really hard to find, rather than spending extra money and time with only the possibility of maybe finding what you're looking for. I wouldn't give up the hunt, but for harder to find items it might be easier go online every once and a while.

im obviously not going online for the movie toys or any mainline but i doubt if there ever is another alt ill spend week searching for them

i have a life i cook food at 2 restaurants = no free time to hunt soundwave or what not

I feel you there. I've worked two jobs before and it ain't easy. Four days out of the week I'd have to work 13 hours. I just broke down and bought alt ravage from bbts last week. I was in town and went by wally-world just to check if they had them, sure enough I was right about them not being in stock. It wasn't cheap to go with bbts, but it saved me the headache of searching all day and not finding anything.

can't believe your still looking for soundwave. i never saw him in the wild, only online. i was lucky enough to get my pre-order in to TRU way back when they first announced him. i wouldn't have had the ability to look for ravage/rumble had i not had to see the oral surgeon that day, and thankfully i'm at mom n dads because they're no where to be found back home. i'm hoping walmart stocks them online soon so i can get the other on credit as i don't have the cash for him now.

I agree with the gas prices. After hunting and finding nothing, it's a loss of time and money, especially in places where distribution is not so great. When I was back in Las Vegas in 2004-05, it wasn't hard finding the new stuff. Lots of Walmarts, Targets, and some TRUs there. There were some nights I would hit some places only because it seemed that certain days they would stock up their Transformers secton. And I had a system that pretty much worked.

Up here in the Northwest area, it's not as fun for me to go hunting (I hate the traffic). Maybe because some stores don't stock up frequently or that they no longer carry the line. It could be anything. Some Walmarts here don't even stock up the Alts. I was fortunate to get my Rumble and Ravage because someone from another board spotted them. It was almost an hour's drive to get them.

I ordered some stuff from HTS a few days ago after swearing them off after they screwed up my Alt Nemesis order. It's no big deal now, but sometime you may have to go online. Sometimes the shipping charges are lower than the price of gas driving just to blindly find them. You can also hit up some board members to see if they can get it for you if it's plentiful in their area. Beats eBay prices.

Yeah... The hunt used to be half the fun of collecting: leapfrogging from store to store, making a beeline for the toys and eagerly scanning for new releases... sometimes you score, sometimes you fail...

Nowadays, I can hit a dozen stores -- TRU, Wally World, Target, etc...and never find a single figure I want unless they've JUST put out a fresh case. Which, as you can imagine, is pretty rare. It's gotten so that I don't even go on hunts anymore unless I'm already going to the store for some reason, because I never find anything.

There's no point looking because I'll never find anything but pegwarmers. Scalping and odd Box Assortments are what kill toy lines: A store puts an assortment on the shelves, scalpers skim the rare or shortpacked items to resell, leaving a generic stock of figures no one wants. No new figures are ever put out because the local population of collectors already has the pegwarmers, so the store doesn't order any more assortments. Eventually, the stale stock is sent to clearance, and everyone loses, even the scalpers. The store loses retail sales, the manufacturer sells less product, the fans don't get their toys, and the scalpers have no more stock to plunder.

I'd LIKE to think that other fans out there are finding them, smiling all the way to the checkout with their treasure, driving home and gleefully tearing the package open, savoring the small victory... but the cynic in me doubts it. It doesn't help any when you see jackasses on ebay, posing with a stack of Alts and boasting about how they have dozens more "in hand, ready to ship"... It makes me sick, because yeah, they'll make a few bucks over retail by selling them on ebay, but the emotional cost to the fans is a lot higher than that. The magic is gone.

So yeah, as much as I hate to do it, if I really want a figure, I always end up on Ebay. There's no point in hunting.

I've been contemplating giving up hunting.

But I think I'll just take a second job in the stock room at TRU instead.

Archived