The Bond Gadget Test

Hobbes-timus Prime

OK, then why use Soundwave at all when any of the other characters, or a new character with a different name could fill that role? And also, do you really think a news van or one filled with a bunch of communications equipment and antennae won't draw a bunch of unwanted attention? Even if his minions are the ones doing the actual work? Secondly, Who is to say that Mass conversion needs to use up huge amounts of energy? Sure, scientifically is should, but who is to say it actually does? If it doesn't—which according to TF lore, it doesn't require any more energy than normal transforming—why not use it? The only reason why they didn't put it into the first movie was because there were already too many other fantastic elements to deal with first, not for the reasons you stated. Thirdly, Sure Frenzy is good as a spy and a minion, but not as a good Leiutenant. Otherwise they would have kept him as Soundwave. He is a bit player, not a major character, and from what I have heard, doesn't only turn into a stereo, but can assume other shapes as well. Soundwave is major-league with only one form. Why do you think they decided to move him to the second movie to begin with instead of keeping Frenzy as Soundwave? It was because they wanted to save Mass conversion for later so that they could do Soundwave right.

First - I NEVER ONCE said you couldn't use whoever you choose to. But this whole discussion has been about Soundwave - hence I kept using Soundwave, since he is the G1 Mass-Shifter that matters most.

Second - A van, that is closed up, windowless (like Blot said) and is just a van sitting in a parking lot, is NOT something a regular joe walking through the lot will look at and inspect to see if its as real as the two-door sedan parked 5 spaces down from him.

One with huge antennae, especially more than one, isolated in a parking lot or on a street corner for hours or days on end, is going to draw suspicion. Especially if it is an unfamiliar one to that area.

Third - I'm sure you are aware that they could have expanded the then called Soundwave's character a lot more, kept him in the story, and devoted him more screentime to explain his abilties, as well as set him up for a good bit more in a future Sequel. They did not. They changed him to Frenzy. NOW FORGET the reasons behind Soundwave's name change to Frenzy. Think in storytelling only - Frenzy negates parts of what Soundwave would/should/could do now. Because Frenzy IS official canon in the story of the Movie Universe. Frenzy matters as he made it into the story - minion or not. He negates part of why Soundwave would Mass-Shift into a stereo from being a 25+ ft. tall robot.
Not really. That is because Soundwave and his minions worked as a team, and some shared alternate modes. Their functions overlap to a degree. The difference between Soundwave and Frenzy in the surveylance department is he is the leader of the team and Megatron's right hand bot, Hence he cannot be tiny like Frenzy. Soundwave in the primary and most important location of the target area, Frenzy in another, Laserbeak (Booster X-10) in a third, Ravage, (if they used him) in a fourth. and one of the other Decepticon Real Gear characters, in a fifth. Each spread out throughout the building or complex. Then, when the mission is over, They meet up with Soundwave and Frenzy carries him outside where he transforms, the others link up to him at various interface points, (not necessarily in the chest), or they rendezvous with Barricade, and they high-tail it to Megatron to deliver the intelligence, and play back the recordings collected for him through Soundwave.

Fourth - Mass-Shifting basically, you say, doesn't take up any major energy - okay - sure let's buy into that. Now here again why would there be a STORY, repeat STORY, reason to negate Frenzy and make a Mass-Shifting Soundwave in the next movie when Frenzy's small size is already going to be used to good effect?

Why? From a story perspective, given Soundwave's postiion in the Decepticon ranks, and the greater durability in combat, a large robot mode is more desireable. yet, given one of his primary functions as Communcations, and surveylance, even with Frenzy doing some of the same things, a smaller, innocuous alternate mode is more desireable, especially one which allows him to directly interface with his minions and play back recordings for Megatron without another external device, and which allows him to devote all of his internal systems to that function and not locomotion or other "unecessary" functions. As far as that alternate mode goes, A larger stereo system would make the most sense. Frenzy was pretty small, even for a portable stereo. I have seen bigger. So, Soundwave becomes that bigger, more elaborate portable stereo system which can interface with MP3 players, other radios, etc. The Master system, so to speak. Thus it still works out. Since he is the boss, he needs to be much bigger in robot mode than his minions who don't need to mass convert (though Frenzy does Parts Compress alot), and better able to survive in combat, he should be at least 20' tall in robot mode. But to fully work together with his minions and fulfill their jobs as a team, including interfacing with them, a small mode, is more desirable, though still larger than the others. Thus he has the ability to Mass convert, while the others who need to, Parts compress.

Fifth - I don't know where you heard Frenzy is supposed to have multiple forms, but it wasn't in the Old Script, nor in any interview I've heard of/read. Please provide a link and or article. Thanks in advance.

I don't know for sure whether Frenzy is supposed to have more than one alternate mode. There has been a lot of talk on a lot of boards. That is why I specifically said I had heard it through the grapevine, so to speak, not that it is a definate fact, just mentioned here and there. It is purely a rumor. But, given his primary function and very odd free-form robot mode, it seems plausible, true or not. It wouldn't surprise me if he was able to take on multiple alternate moded because honestly, there is nothing about his robot mod that suggests any one particular alternate mode.

Also, I haven't read any of the leaked scripts, nor do I intend to.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey, why call Bumblebee that still? He's not a volkswagon anymore, the name joke is lost!

No, but he is still small and he is still yellow and black, just like a Bumblebee.

Why call Bonecrusher that? He's no BULLDOZER!
Is his name "bulldozer"? No. His alternate mode still denotes something that is a crusher, It's a monster machine. It crushes the earth beneath it like bones, and tears up the landscape destroying whatever gets in its way. He breaks his enemies crushing them and "breaking their metallic bones." He is a bonecrusher.
And I've got shocking news for you, Tramp. G1 Blackout didn't have anything to do with electronic warfare, EMPs, OR helicopters.

Guess what? Things change. In many cases, for the better!

And other times for the worst. Some things need to be left alone or simply updated, not totally changed beyond recognition, which is what you advocate for Soundwave simply because you don't like Mass conversion.

And, true, G1 micromaster Blackout was a rear-end combiner who made up the back half of a B1 bomber. However, given that the purpose of the B1 was to carry and drop Nuclear bombs, which do cause EMP, and even with conventional bombing, the power system of a target are is usually a primary target, a Blackout is still the result. Therefore, from a broader view, it is still somewhat appropriate.

Why are you so dead set in making sure Soundwave never leaves 1984? He finally has the chance to be something useful, and you hate it.

I am not dead set against him leaving 1984. A modern stereo system is not leaving him in 1984. It is remaining true to the character and the name though. I never said he had to be an old 1980s Cassette player did I? No. A modern portable stereo system—one of the big, ones with all the do-dads—would be perfect.

Movie Swindle isn't a jeep! He's not even yellow! I don't see you crying a river over that!
Movie style Swindle isn't a main character, nor is he even in the movie. He is a drone from the video game. Also, G1 Swindle got his name from his penchant for illegal deals. He was a swindler, a conartist.

But hey. I'm not against Soundwave turning into a van, a stealth fighter plane, a VCR, a woodchuck...the problem is, you direly want him to use magic shrinky powers.

The problem is, your argument has a huge roadblock it has to come over: Frenzy. Frenzy's very existance shows there's no need for a 30 foot robot to turn into something so small. Why does the Decepticon army need two stereos? Why does Soundwave turning into a tiny stereo sized object help -nay, prove vital to the story?

Frenzy really isn't a roadblock. He is a smaller bot with an even smaller alternate mode. Soundwave is alot bigger, and though still needs a small alternate mode, it woudl still be bigger than Frenzy's. They serve in some similar capacities, but Soundwave serves in more, and is the hub to which all of his minions relky on and relay their data to. Let me ask you this. Why would they need an MP3 player? Why would tyey need a cam-corder? Both of those are pat of the Real Gear characters, who, according to Shia Labeof in one of his interviews, will appear in the movie, having been created by the All-Spark from ordinary Earth electronic devices.

Because it lets him do his job?

Bull. Blot. Everything Soundwave does is internal. He did not spring to life from the cosmic womb of some home electronic diety. In the way the movie shows, if anything, he wouldn't turn into a communications anything on Cybertron. He'd be a big space ball like Bumblebee, or Prime, or Starscream. All of his communication skills, abilities, technology, etc, would already be inside his body and being used.

However, he would still be better at that job by focusing all of his internal systems to that one function instead of dividing them among several functions like locomotion.

In the movie world, the robot came first. The sound came second. The ability to transform into something relating to that sound is a far, far, FAR distant third.
The ability to transform is inherent to their basic design. The final appearance of those modes is determined by what they choose to scan.So do give a good answer as to why it would let him do his job, even though all his communication power is accessible in robot mode. Tell us why he would need to use magic shrinky powers to get his job done.

And no, "Because it's Soundwave" is the wrong and worst answer you can give.

By taking on a stationary alternate mode, which is designed for receiving and recording data, it enhances his existing functions though the alt mode's capabilities as well as though allowing him to apply all of this internal recources to the job, and not to other non-essential functions. By not having to power limbs or other locomotive systems, all that power can go to boosting a signal or decoding files. It is also a good alternate mode for disguising the fact that he can transmitt as well as recieve signals. It is an ideal disguise for a Communications and Covert Surveylance Officier; especially one named Soundwave. It just fits the character. And, yes, much of his comunications and surveylance ability would be diminished in robot mode or some othe alternate mode because of the fact that many of thhis internal components are devoted to other functions, and the power needed for using those functions at their fullest would be taken away from the communications and surveylance systems, thus limiting their range and use. This can certainly be evidenced in Frenzy as well. Can Frenzy play back any of the stuff he records during his spy missions? I don't think so because he has no speakers in robot mode. The speakers of his alternate mode are broken down fto form parts of his arms and possibly other parts of the body. Don't you think the same thing would happen with Soundwave? Internal systems that work one way in one mode are put to totally different uses in the other. Therfore, no, he would not have the same level of communications nor covert surveylance ability in robot mode or in a vehicle mode as he would as a larger portable stereo or other large portable electronic media system.

By taking on a stationary alternate mode, which is designed for receiving and recording data, it enhances his existing functions though the alt mode's capabilities as well as though allowing him to apply all of this internal recources to the job, and not to other non-essential functions. By not having to power limbs or other locomotive systems, all that power can go to boosting a signal or decoding files. It is also a good alternate mode for disguising the fact that he can transmitt as well as recieve signals. It is an ideal disguise for a Communications and Covert Surveylance Officier; especially one named Soundwave. It just fits the character. And, yes, much of his comunications and surveylance ability would be diminished in robot mode or some othe alternate mode because of the fact that many of thhis internal components are devoted to other functions, and the power needed for using those functions at their fullest would be taken away from the communications and surveylance systems, thus limiting their range and use. This can certainly be evidenced in Frenzy as well. Can Frenzy play back any of the stuff he records during his spy missions? I don't think so because he has no speakers in robot mode. The speakers of his alternate mode are broken down fto form parts of his arms and possibly other parts of the body. Don't you think the same thing would happen with Soundwave? Internal systems that work one way in one mode are put to totally different uses in the other. Therfore, no, he would not have the same level of communications nor covert surveylance ability in robot mode or in a vehicle mode as he would as a larger portable stereo or other large portable electronic media system.

I've got news for you: G1 Soundwave HAS NO SPEAKERS IN ALT MODE! The Diaclone version came with either headphones or an earbud (I forget which offhand); the Transformers version has neither.

Also, does your car stereo stop working when your car starts moving? Locomotion tends to be mechanical; transmission is electronic. The two systems are functionally independent, and neither would affect the other's performance. Your argument only works if you expect a trained communications expert to be unable to walk and use a cell phone at the same time.

Besides, when have any of us suggested that he'd be using his communications capabilities while moving? Though it makes much more sense to be able to transmit information to headquarters while on the move than having to be stationary to do so, he could very well park somewhere and transform his engine/axles/brakes/etc. into communications gear, thus negating the "devoting internal components to other functions" argument.

But hey. I'm not against Soundwave turning into a van, a stealth fighter plane, a VCR, a woodchuck...the problem is, you direly want him to use magic shrinky powers.

The problem is, your argument has a huge roadblock it has to come over: Frenzy. Frenzy's very existance shows there's no need for a 30 foot robot to turn into something so small. Why does the Decepticon army need two stereos? Why does Soundwave turning into a tiny stereo sized object help -nay, prove vital to the story?

Frenzy really isn't a roadblock. He is a smaller bot with an even smaller alternate mode. Soundwave is alot bigger, and though still needs a small alternate mode, it woudl still be bigger than Frenzy's. They serve in some similar capacities, but Soundwave serves in more, and is the hub to which all of his minions relky on and relay their data to. Let me ask you this. Why would they need an MP3 player? Why would tyey need a cam-corder? Both of those are pat of the Real Gear characters, who, according to Shia Labeof in one of his interviews, will appear in the movie, having been created by the All-Spark from ordinary Earth electronic devices.

That still doesn't explain WHY Soundwave would need to be a tiny thing. If anything, you're distancing Soundwave from the need to be a household electronic even more. You're saying he'd do EVERYTHING FRENZY DOES, "more" (which is debatable), and that things that AREN'T EVEN CYBERTRONIANS WHO DON'T MASS SHIFT ARE ALSO SMALL.

Because it lets him do his job?

Bull. Blot. Everything Soundwave does is internal. He did not spring to life from the cosmic womb of some home electronic diety. In the way the movie shows, if anything, he wouldn't turn into a communications anything on Cybertron. He'd be a big space ball like Bumblebee, or Prime, or Starscream. All of his communication skills, abilities, technology, etc, would already be inside his body and being used.

However, he would still be better at that job by focusing all of his internal systems to that one function instead of dividing them among several functions like locomotion.

Poor Soundwave. Forget him being a robot. He doesn't know that. Maybe he should be named Blackout. He'll turn into a stereo and forget he's even a transformer! HILARIOUS COMEDY ENUSES as he has to shut down all his systems including who he is in order to tell Megatron "The Autobots are going to stop them".

In the movie world, the robot came first. The sound came second. The ability to transform into something relating to that sound is a far, far, FAR distant third.
The ability to transform is inherent to their basic design. The final appearance of those modes is determined by what they choose to scan.So do give a good answer as to why it would let him do his job, even though all his communication power is accessible in robot mode. Tell us why he would need to use magic shrinky powers to get his job done.

And no, "Because it's Soundwave" is the wrong and worst answer you can give.

Stereos. Don't. Do. Communication. And. Surveylance.

Do you communicate to someone via a stereo? No. You use a phone, some for of wifi for a laptop, or hell, a Walkie Talkie. Stereos just play music. They might listen to the radio if you got that much. But they can't even RECORD MUSIC unless they have a tape player in them...and the tape player is quickly not becoming a standard feature.

You want him to spy on things? Why not just use Frenzy? Why send in the stereo that DOESN'T HAVE A CAMERA. The thing that, "in a stationary mode that puts all its internal functions to their fullest", doesn't even have the ability to RECORD DATA AT ALL.

So he's not spying on things then? Why turn into the tiny alt mode at all! Wouldn't a stereo sitting on the ground outside of a building be both suspicious, AND be a nice target to be stolen by a passing vagrant. Clearly if he's sitting there, not even spying, not moving, not driving, he can DO OTHER THINGS. Surely he can DO OTHER THINGS WHILE driving.

Does Optimus stop talking when he drives? Yeah. But wait how is that possible! He's using all his internal systems to be a TRUCK! THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE! Help Tramp, how is that Prime can do this magical thing known as "multitasking".

Otherwise known as "walking and breathing at the same time".

block/jam radio transmissions

Which, in TF:TM, he had to send his minions out to destroy the Autobot City antenna in order to do. What an effective master of communications he is! I bow before his almighty power!

Seriously, this is pointless. Tramp is just looking for any Goddamned reason to satisfy his Soundwave fetish. You want to know why I don't want mass-shifting in the movies, Tramp? Because it looks like it belongs in a cartoon. Ever seen that little bumper sequence the Sci-Fi Channel uses, where the girl drives the pickup truck up to a parking space, and the truck opens around her, folding up into a little chunk that shrinks and fits in her purse? Cute, isn't it? Yeah, cute, and also cartoony-looking. That's what Soundwave would look like in a live-action movie. It's a gimmick thrown in for no reason other than to satisfy punks like you. If they used it it would be a sign of intellectual laziness on the part of the producers and writers. Soundwave's spy functions are already being handled by Frenzy. If the Cons have a need for one of their number to be a communications processing hub then bring Soundwave in, but he doesn't need to mass-shift. He can be any number of effective vehicles and still retain his powers. He doesn't need a big honkin' antenna in vehicle mode to do so either. He's an alien robot working with other alien robots. Their technology is, perhaps, millions of years beyond ours. Frankly to have to make him change into a tiny human-scaled stereo is an insult to the very idea of what Transformers are, at least in this movie, supposed to be.

Maybe your unreasoning obsession with Soundwave stems from your experience as an Army comm specialist? Maybe you identify with a children's cartoon character a little too much in your personal life. Is that why you can't let this go?

Let me put this query to you. What does a vehicle mode have to do with communications or sound waves? Nothing.

What does a Satelite have to do with sound waves? Nothing.

Soundwave got his name because of what he transformed into: a stereo tape deck, which is a device specifically designed to produce sound waves. Hence the name "Soundwave". Makes sense don't it?

A satelite doesn't produce sound waves, A transformer who turned into a satelite would be better with a name like Cosmos, and guess what. We have a character who fulfills that role and has that name. How appropriate?

Now, why would you change that and turn Soundwave into something that doesn't relate to his job and really doesn't make sense given his name? Just because you don't like Mass conversion? Soundwave's alternate mode fits him fine, or more accurately, the modern equivalent, and Mass conversion is what allows him to have that mode. It is a fundamental part of who and what he is. If you take that away and try to turn him into some other type of vehicle, he ceases to be Soundwave, and you might as well not use him at all. Call the character something else.

I just broke wind & it created plenty of soundwaves..... :roll

Let me put this query to you. What does a vehicle mode have to do with communications or sound waves? Nothing.

What does a Satelite have to do with sound waves? Nothing.

Soundwave got his name because of what he transformed into: a stereo tape deck, which is a device specifically designed to produce sound waves. Hence the name "Soundwave". Makes sense don't it?

A satelite doesn't produce sound waves, A transformer who turned into a satelite would be better with a name like Cosmos, and guess what. We have a character who fulfills that role and has that name. How appropriate?

Now, why would you change that and turn Soundwave into something that doesn't relate to his job and really doesn't make sense given his name? Just because you don't like Mass conversion? Soundwave's alternate mode fits him fine, or more accurately, the modern equivalent, and Mass conversion is what allows him to have that mode. It is a fundamental part of who and what he is. If you take that away and try to turn him into some other type of vehicle, he ceases to be Soundwave, and you might as well not use him at all. Call the character something else.

I just broke wind & it created plenty of soundwaves..... :roll

You raise an interesting point!

The soundwave emitting from your butt make your butt open a bit, creating a bigger hole were there first was a much smaller one. Thus mass-shifting. Also sound waves grow in size (Figuratively speaking) and prove Soundwave's need to mass shift.

I WIN THE THREAD.

I don't condone mass shifting A-holes.

:pfx

goatse just wouldn't look right on the silver-screen imo :guh

Whether you like the idea or not doesn't really matter. Having Soundwave with an updated alternate mode which is still true to his original and with Mass conversion can and would work within the context of the story and can look rather believable, even with Frenzy already established. Instead of saying "it can't be done" or, "it shouldn't be done beause Frenzy already turns into a stereo and doesn't Mass convert", why don't some of you naysayers come up with ideas of your own on how Soundwave having a modern stereo system mode with Mass conversion could work within the context of the story. I have given mine, They work and they make sense to me. Play your own "Devil's Advocate".

This is what I have come up with for a good Soundwave design for the Sequel:

SdLt3m8MovhzEBy0yayA8xpqVVQwQFwY0300.jpg

This alternate mode includes a DVD player with monitor, a 3-disk CD changer, AM/FM, Surround sound stereo, a remote (which can turn into a minion), Equalizer, as well as ports for an MP3 player, earphones, and other electronic devices. The disguised features, of course are all of his communications and scanning capabilities.

I have tried to work somewhat wthin the mode detailed movie aesthetic while still maintaining his G1 essence. Obviously, this is just a quick sketch.

Archived