The Bond Gadget Test

Hobbes-timus Prime

I never said Don Murphy was not a fan - I'm well aware of what he did with Cullen, and fighting to keep this as G1 as possible. I was over on his boards when they started. My point was still it could have been crowd control.

And I'll concede/give you an alt. mode that needs to be communcations-based or at the very least a Robot mode that allows him to be a communications expert and use spy bots to actually infiltrate and spy. But the fact he mass-changed does not make Soundwave, Soundwave. Just as Megatron being a gun that Starscream (and others) had to hold/use does not make Megatron, Megatron. Their personas and voices made them their true characters.

Megatron being a gun does not fundamentally change him, no. Him not being a weapon does. By weapon, I mena a gun, a tank, a bomber, anything designed with heavy firepower in mind. It isn't just Soundwave's persona that mattered. And one of the things that was inherant to Soundwave, at least as Hasbro, Don Murphy and a lot of fans on other sites and at the various discussions, Mass conversion was one of them. That was because it made his alternate mode possible. It is a fundamental, defining part of Soundwave.

So how is mass-shifting sooooooooo f***ing important to Soundwave, yet not to Megatron? :roll

Very simple. Megatron is actually better at his job by being something other than a pistol. Something like a tank.

So a size-changing Transformer is better at his job when he forgoes the immobile, small alt mode and goes to something that's actually his size and that is self-propelled? What an intriguing concept! I wonder if that would work for EVERY size-changing Transformer......

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I never said Don Murphy was not a fan - I'm well aware of what he did with Cullen, and fighting to keep this as G1 as possible. I was over on his boards when they started. My point was still it could have been crowd control.

And I'll concede/give you an alt. mode that needs to be communcations-based or at the very least a Robot mode that allows him to be a communications expert and use spy bots to actually infiltrate and spy. But the fact he mass-changed does not make Soundwave, Soundwave. Just as Megatron being a gun that Starscream (and others) had to hold/use does not make Megatron, Megatron. Their personas and voices made them their true characters.

Megatron being a gun does not fundamentally change him, no. Him not being a weapon does. By weapon, I mena a gun, a tank, a bomber, anything designed with heavy firepower in mind. It isn't just Soundwave's persona that mattered. And one of the things that was inherant to Soundwave, at least as Hasbro, Don Murphy and a lot of fans on other sites and at the various discussions, Mass conversion was one of them. That was because it made his alternate mode possible. It is a fundamental, defining part of Soundwave.

So how is mass-shifting sooooooooo f***ing important to Soundwave, yet not to Megatron? :roll

Very simple. Megatron is actually better at his job by being something other than a pistol. Something like a tank.

So what if a satellite (for example) did a better job than a cassette player for spying?

(My missus worked in military intelligence for a long time so don't try to bluff me!)

You openingly admit Mass-Shifting was not fundamental on Megatron. But it was in Soundwave. How does that work? Seriously? Becuase if Megatron can go from a Handgun to a Tank to a Jet to a Cybertronian Jet - How come Soundwave can't go from a Tape Recorder to a Communications Truck, or to a News Van? They both used Mass-Shifting - it doesn't mean they can't perfomr their functions as another alt mode.

ONCE AGAIN - Soundwave could have a super-advanced communcations system throughout his robot body - allowing him to intercept transmissions, relay communications, record and analyze info, and as for spying - he could still have Frenzy, Laserbeak, or Ravage do that (just like they did in the old cartoon). He could still even be blue and white in colors and release Ravage and Laserbeak from a post on his body still - that's not impossible.

Because with Soundwave, part of what made him who he was is his ability to blend in anywhere by having an innocuous and ubiquitous alternate mode. Soundwave also can perform his function better by being a dedicatet device rather than havinghis internal systems divided to multiple functions iunrelated to his job. and a vehicle mode would not allow Megatron to hear or see the transmissions. He really could not perfom his function as well in another type of alternate mode. Megatron just requires heavy firepower. He actually performs his function better by having a different alternate mode than a pistol. In fact, according to TF lore, as introduced in War Within, Megatron's original alternate mode was a tank.. Therefore, his pistol mode was relatively recent, in universe, and didn't last long, in the grand scheme of things.

For Megatron, the loss of Mass conversion, and a different alt mode was an improvement. With Soundwave it would be a detriment. That is the difference.

You openingly admit Mass-Shifting was not fundamental on Megatron. But it was in Soundwave. How does that work? Seriously? Becuase if Megatron can go from a Handgun to a Tank to a Jet to a Cybertronian Jet - How come Soundwave can't go from a Tape Recorder to a Communications Truck, or to a News Van? They both used Mass-Shifting - it doesn't mean they can't perfomr their functions as another alt mode.

ONCE AGAIN - Soundwave could have a super-advanced communcations system throughout his robot body - allowing him to intercept transmissions, relay communications, record and analyze info, and as for spying - he could still have Frenzy, Laserbeak, or Ravage do that (just like they did in the old cartoon). He could still even be blue and white in colors and release Ravage and Laserbeak from a post on his body still - that's not impossible.

Because with Soundwave, part of what made him who he was is his ability to blend in anywhere by having an innocuous and ubiquitous alternate mode. Soundwave also can perform his function better by being a dedicatet device rather than havinghis internal systems divided to multiple functions iunrelated to his job. and a vehicle mode would not allow Megatron to hear or see the transmissions. He really could not perfom his function as well in another type of alternate mode. Megatron just requires heavy firepower. He actually performs his function better by having a different alternate mode than a pistol.

For Megatron, the loss of Mass conversion, and a different alt mode was an improvement. With Soundwave it would be a detriment. That is the difference.

So what if a satellite (for example) did a better job than a cassette player for spying?

(My missus worked in military intelligence for a long time so don't try to bluff me!)

Because with Soundwave, part of what made him who he was is his ability to blend in anywhere by having an innocuous and ubiquitous alternate mode. Soundwave also can perform his function better by being a dedicatet device rather than havinghis internal systems divided to multiple functions iunrelated to his job. and a vehicle mode would not allow Megatron to hear or see the transmissions. He really could not perfom his function as well in another type of alternate mode. Megatron just requires heavy firepower. He actually performs his function better by having a different alternate mode than a pistol. In fact, according to TF lore, as introduced in War Within, Megatron's original alternate mode was a tank.. Therefore, his pistol mode was relatively recent, in universe, and didn't last long, in the grand scheme of things.

Tramp.

Tramp, I've been meaning to ask this from the very start.

What's to stop the giant killer space robot from playing back his recordings any damn way he pleases? Is there some unwritten law that he can only use his alt mode speakers?

I despute the notion that hiding in Small places made Soundwave cooler.

Because with Soundwave, part of what made him who he was is his ability to blend in anywhere by having an innocuous and ubiquitous alternate mode. Soundwave also can perform his function better by being a dedicatet device rather than havinghis internal systems divided to multiple functions iunrelated to his job. and a vehicle mode would not allow Megatron to hear or see the transmissions. He really could not perfom his function as well in another type of alternate mode. Megatron just requires heavy firepower. He actually performs his function better by having a different alternate mode than a pistol.

He would be awfully lonely out in space don't you think? A satelite isn'y really that practical for a major character. It's fine for a minor one, but Soundwave was a major character. It is also only good for external surveylance, not for finding out what is going on inside a target building.

Then there is the issue of his minions.

Once again, it is a fundamental change to the character, and not one for the better.

Tramp.

Tramp, I've been meaning to ask this from the very start.

What's to stop the giant killer space robot from playing back his recordings any damn way he pleases? Is there some unwritten law that he can only use his alt mode speakers?

Thank you for asking this. I was beginning to wonder about something along those lines myself ^_^

So basically - even if in robot mode he had a highly advanced communication system with the ability to use laser transmissions, as well as recieve and transmit messages and recordings to Megatron and all the other 'Cons, plus be able to take what his minions found out and relay them to Megatron and still be an alt mode of a blue van sitting on the street with dark windows - he would be totally useless, despite the fact that his minions just took care of the spying and he could be mobile and self-sufficient enough to relocate himself??? You're saying that Mass-Shifting is a better option than being able to still be a large robot and move around on his own, while still following like the old cartoon and having his minions do all the real spying/recording, without having to rely on some pseudoscience??

Do you see how all this could be taken as very "trapped in a fanboy bubble"?? Just asking.

He would be awfully lonely out in space don't you think? A satelite isn'y really that practical for a major character. It's fine for a minor one, but Soundwave was a major character. It is also only good for external surveylance, not for finding out what is going on inside a target building.

Then there is the issue of his minions.

Once again, it is a fundamental change to the character, and not one for the better.

What's wrong with Soundwave only doing external surveillance? He can send his minions into the building and sit in the parking lot outside (or in orbit, for that matter), then collect the data from them and relay it through whatever communications array his alt mode has to Megatron. Why would he need to be inside the building at all?

EDIT: DM, you said it better than I did ^_^

Archived