The Bond Gadget Test

Hobbes-timus Prime

I never said Don Murphy was not a fan - I'm well aware of what he did with Cullen, and fighting to keep this as G1 as possible. I was over on his boards when they started. My point was still it could have been crowd control.

And I'll concede/give you an alt. mode that needs to be communcations-based or at the very least a Robot mode that allows him to be a communications expert and use spy bots to actually infiltrate and spy. But the fact he mass-changed does not make Soundwave, Soundwave. Just as Megatron being a gun that Starscream (and others) had to hold/use does not make Megatron, Megatron. Their personas and voices made them their true characters.

Megatron being a gun does not fundamentally change him, no. Him not being a weapon does. By weapon, I mena a gun, a tank, a bomber, anything designed with heavy firepower in mind. It isn't just Soundwave's persona that mattered. And one of the things that was inherant to Soundwave, at least as Hasbro, Don Murphy and a lot of fans on other sites and at the various discussions, Mass conversion was one of them. That was because it made his alternate mode possible. It is a fundamental, defining part of Soundwave.

Soundwave

Soundwave

Soundwave

Soundwave

Apparently Hasbro doesn't mind making Soundwave something other than a piece of personal electronics, so why should anyone else?

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While an LAV might be fine out in the wilderness or on the battle field. It woudl stick out like a sore thumb in downtown LA.

Hey, just checking in with a quick question:

What if the storyline in the sequel required Soundwave to actually spend most of his time in the wilderness or a human battlefield, and not go anywhere any major city's downtown area? Is the LAV still not a suitable alt. mode? Why?

I never said Don Murphy was not a fan - I'm well aware of what he did with Cullen, and fighting to keep this as G1 as possible. I was over on his boards when they started. My point was still it could have been crowd control.

And I'll concede/give you an alt. mode that needs to be communcations-based or at the very least a Robot mode that allows him to be a communications expert and use spy bots to actually infiltrate and spy. But the fact he mass-changed does not make Soundwave, Soundwave. Just as Megatron being a gun that Starscream (and others) had to hold/use does not make Megatron, Megatron. Their personas and voices made them their true characters.

Megatron being a gun does not fundamentally change him, no. Him not being a weapon does. By weapon, I mena a gun, a tank, a bomber, anything designed with heavy firepower in mind. It isn't just Soundwave's persona that mattered. And one of the things that was inherant to Soundwave, at least as Hasbro, Don Murphy and a lot of fans on other sites and at the various discussions, Mass conversion was one of them. That was because it made his alternate mode possible. It is a fundamental, defining part of Soundwave.

So how is mass-shifting sooooooooo f***ing important to Soundwave, yet not to Megatron? :roll

A smooth talking opportunist who uses his eavesdropping abilities on friend and foe alike. Equipped with advanced radio wave and energy sensors, Soundwave is a crucial communications link for Decepticon forces. Four armored tracks equip him for any terrain, and the giant electron rocket makes him a devastating warrior, earning him the nickname "The Terror Tank."

But wait! I thought that turning into something that wasn't a pocket piece of music playing equipment would make Soundwave SUCK AT HIS JOB. How can this version of G1 Soundwave NOT be a music device and STILL be a wonderful and capable Decepticons Communications officer?!

Could it be...the power was INSIDE Soundwave the whole time?! LE GASP!

Imagine the outrage if Prime was not a semi truck

optimusprimalfn3.jpg

That is Optimus Primal, not Optimus Prime. a completely different character altogether.

csoptimusprimeg2ghy9.jpg

How many people woudl even consider that Optimus Prime? That same mold and paint job was used for another character in the same line.

if Bumblebee wasn't a yellow car

bumblebee1ja8.jpg

That same mold was also ften called Cliffjumper even though the car mode is wrong. If you look at the packaging and artwork, Bumblebee is still always yellow.

soundwave2cg7.jpgsoundwaverv3.jpg

Machine Wars one of the biggest flops, and most forgetable exclusives in TF history. Have you ever seen the MW Optimus Prime or Starscream? They're even worse. and that GoBots one is just as bad a GoBots "Prime". None were very big sellers nor very memorable. There is a reason for that. They did not capture the essence of the characters. They were too fundamentally different.

You openingly admit Mass-Shifting was not fundamental on Megatron. But it was in Soundwave. How does that work? Seriously? Becuase if Megatron can go from a Handgun to a Tank to a Jet to a Cybertronian Jet - How come Soundwave can't go from a Tape Recorder to a Communications Truck, or to a News Van? They both used Mass-Shifting - it doesn't mean they can't perform their functions as another alt mode.

ONCE AGAIN - Soundwave could have a super-advanced communcations system throughout his robot body - allowing him to intercept transmissions, relay communications, record and analyze info, and as for spying - he could still have Frenzy, Laserbeak, or Ravage do that (just like they did in the old cartoon). He could still even be blue and white in colors and release Ravage and Laserbeak from a port on his body still - that's not impossible.

I am a Prime Conoseur And I count that one. Though he does suck

So how is mass-shifting sooooooooo f***ing important to Soundwave, yet not to Megatron? :roll

Very simple. Megatron is actually better at his job by being something other than a pistol. Something like a tank.

ignoreyc5.gif

Sometimes I get the feeling you're not listening to any of us..... :tftongue

Imagine the outrage if Prime was not a semi truck

optimusprimalfn3.jpg

That is Optimus Primal, not Optimus Prime. a completely different character altogether.

csoptimusprimeg2ghy9.jpg

How many people woudl even consider that Optimus Prime? That same mold and paint job was used for another character in the same line.

if Bumblebee wasn't a yellow car

bumblebee1ja8.jpg

That same mold was also ften called Cliffjumper even though the car mode is wrong. If you look at the packaging and artwork, Bumblebee is still always yellow.

soundwave2cg7.jpgsoundwaverv3.jpg

Machine Wars one of the biggest flops, and most forgetable exclusives in TF history. Have you ever seen the MW Optimus Prime or Starscream? They're even worse. and that GoBots one is just as bad a GoBots "Prime". None were very big sellers nor very memorable. There is a reason for that. They did not capture the essence of the characters. They were too fundamentally different.

Ah ah ah ah! But you forget, Trampy! Those toys were WRITTEN as the UNALTERABLE CHARACTERS you so highly put on a pedastal! Primal, in fact, WAS going to be Prime if Mainframe hadn't ran in a different direction! Bat Primal is in a wonderful limbo, because his only "canon" appearance makes him Optimus Prime in a new body.

And do explain how the bio for Machine Wars Soundwave, regardless of how bad the line "sucked", makes him any less capable at his job now than when he was a microcassette player? I don't see any thing saying he got worse because he doesn't run on double A's.

Archived