The Bond Gadget Test

Hobbes-timus Prime

Out of curiosity, if Soundwave hadn't changed size in the old cartoon, would you still insist on him doing so were he to appear in the film?

By that do you mean if he had been a giant tape deck, or a tiny robot? Eithe way, I think i wopuld have had more of a problem with him back then if he didn't mass convert. a tiny robot is pretty useless, and a giant tape deck would have stuck out like a sore thumb. Secondly, I honestly don't think we would have even had a "Soundwave" if he didn't transform into what he did. His alt mode is what gave him his name.

Either way is fine, or if he turned into a flying armadillo. The question still stands: if Soundwave didn't change size in the cartoon, would you still insist on him changing size in a Hollywood blockbuster?

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Out of curiosity, if Soundwave hadn't changed size in the old cartoon, would you still insist on him doing so were he to appear in the film?

By that do you mean if he had been a giant tape deck, or a tiny robot? Eithe way, I think i wopuld have had more of a problem with him back then if he didn't mass convert. a tiny robot is pretty useless, and a giant tape deck would have stuck out like a sore thumb. Secondly, I honestly don't think we would have even had a "Soundwave" if he didn't transform into what he did. His alt mode is what gave him his name.

Either way is fine, or if he turned into a flying armadillo. The question still stands: if Soundwave didn't change size in the cartoon, would you still insist on him changing size in a Hollywood blockbuster?

If he turned into strctly a giant radio, and couldn't shrink down to a more realistic size, I wouldn't even want him in the movie at all. A giant radio would really destroy any suspension of disbelief because any human in the movie or even cartoon would realize something was wrong. A giant radio is a very bad disguise. If he were a tiny robot, smaller than a Human, I doubt he would survive long enough in the show to be memorable enough to even warrant inclusion in a movie. Even if he did, the character would have been vastly different than the Soundwave we know, both in character, and in his place within the Decepticon hierarchy. In all reality, if he didn't grow to large size in robot mode in the original series, his whole function and character would be more like movie Frenzy, not like the Soundwave we know. He would have been a lowly pion; a minion, not a trusted leiutenant. Thus, Movie Frenzy would be Soundwave. However, he isn't because the characters, functions, and their places in the Decepticon hierarchy, as well as their importance, are vastly different.

A wise decepitcon once said "Lass Talk, More Shock"

Rumble was useless?

Rumble wasn't less than 3' tall. If Soundwave didn't grow when he transformed, he would have stood less than 2' tall, and his minions would have only stood a few inches tall. They would have been useless.

In other words, he can use a human dupe to carry him inside, or use Frenzy under the cover of night.
or use Frenzy under the cover of night.
or use Frenzy

So why use Soundwave AT ALL if Frenzy is already RUNNING AROUND inside the building and ABLE TO TURN INTO A STEREO to SPY on people.

If he turned into strctly a giant radio, and couldn't shrink down to a more realistic size, I wouldn't even want him in the movie at all. A giant radio would really destroy any suspension of disbelief because any human in the movie or even cartoon would realize something was wrong. A giant radio is a very bad disguise. If he were a tiny robot, smaller than a Human, I doubt he would survive long enough in the show to be memorable enough to even warrant inclusion in a movie. Even if he did, the character would have been vastly different than the Soundwave we know, both in character, and in his place within the Decepticon hierarchy. In all reality, if he didn't grow to large size in robot mode in the original series, his whole function and character would be more like movie Frenzy, not like the Soundwave we know. He would have been a lowly pion; a minion, not a trusted leiutenant. Thus, Movie Frenzy would be Soundwave. However, he isn't because the characters, functions, and their places in the Decepticon hierarchy, as well as their importance, are vastly different.

That's all well and good, but it doesn't answer the question at all. If he hadn't changed size in the cartoon, would you want him to do so in the movie? Yes or no will suffice.

By the way, are you in politics? ^_-

Honey, I shrunk your brain...

I move that from now on we break down and call "Mass shiffting" Magic Shrinky to cut down on this type of debate.

In other words, he can use a human dupe to carry him inside, or use Frenzy under the cover of night.
or use Frenzy under the cover of night.
or use Frenzy

So why use Soundwave AT ALL if Frenzy is already RUNNING AROUND inside the building and ABLE TO TURN INTO A STEREO to SPY on people.

For starters, Soundwave is more powerful. He is more appropriate for an officer and trusted leiutenant. Frenzy is fine for a minion, not an officer. That is why they made the movie character Frenzy. And, because he is a more popular as a character, from a marketing stand point, it makes sense to bring him in in the sequel. Does that mean he has to share the same exact alt mode as Frenzy? No. There are other designs as well as related pieces of electronic equipment which would work just as well and be just as ubiquitous, such as the portable DVD player or laptop computer. The only problem with a laptop is coming up with a way to make it transform since it is so flat. A desk top computer could work, but it isn't really all that portable, though it is almost as ubiquitous. I would get suspicious if I saw a desktop outside though.

That's all well and good, but it doesn't answer the question at all. If he hadn't changed size in the cartoon, would you want him to do so in the movie? Yes or no will suffice.

By the way, are you in politics? ^_-

Actually, I'm a freelance graphic designer, illustrator and cartoonist. Secondly, it does answer the question because those factors are inherent to the question and the apprepriate answer.

Archived