The Bond Gadget Test

Hobbes-timus Prime

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is my experience, Tramp, that cartoons from say 1984, were actually at their peak mass market apeal in... 1984.

Not true. Many are still popular, including the old TF '84 episodes.

If they used mass conversion in Cybertron I must have missed it. Though I didn't watch that CARTOON because it well... sucked. Alot. Like a Jetstorm who mass shifts into a hoover sucks.
The three main Minicons in Cybertron all mass shifted when they transformed into vehicle mode in order to allow the kids to ride inside.

Ratchet is amedic. Not just for robots, but Humans as well. His Bio itself states that he is fully versed in Transformer, human and myriad other mechanical and biological physiologies from across the galaxy. So, he is not just a robot medic, he is an all around medic and doctor.

Humans nothing. Ratchet's original bio reads:

Ratchet was the best tool-and-die man on Cybertron. In his workbay he can make anything from a pin to a missile. Repairs injured Autobots, given the right parts. Likes to party, give backtalk, but does any job as well as anyone. Has laser scalpels, arc-welders, electron microscopes, circuit sensors, fluid dispensers at his disposal. Sometimes his having a good time interferes with his effectiveness.
Any human doctoring he picked up after he got to Earth, and after he had an ambulance selected for his alt. mode. And it's still an alt. mode that doesn't help him repair Autobots, which is his primary function.

EDITED TO ADD: He's got electron microscopes at his disposal! Wouldn't Perceptor just want to use one of those instead of turning into one?

Ratchet's official bio in TF: More than meets the Eye, under Weapons/Abilities, states " Ratchet is highly intelligent, and his skill as a surgion and doctor unmatched. Only lack of materials or time constraints can hinder him from achieving anything he sets out to do. He is fully versed in all Transformer physiology as well as that of humans and most galactic species." His original Cybertronian alt mode was a Cybertronian ambulance. His alt mode helps him to better tansport wounded, which is the sole purpose of an ambulance.

Soundwave's alt mode reflects both his function and his personality, as well as his name. No other type of alt mode more perfectly matches him that a sound system.

Wouldn't a telephone be a better alt mode for a communicator? That way he could send messages and hear them first hand! He'd just sit on the desk...waiting...and waiting...and waiting....

No, it wouldn't. Could you imagine Megatron having to pick up a receiver every time he wanted to comminucate with his troops or hear intercepted transmissions? What good is a phone for communications interception? What do the FBI use to record wire taps? A tape recorder.

The flaw in your arguement, Trampy, is that sound systems are TINY. Even if Soundwave devoted all his systems to being a sound system, it'd be like a human laying down with his eyes closed to talk on the phone. You most certainly don't have to pretend to sleep to talk to someone.

And neither should Soundwave, just because it "OMG makes him like a MILLION times better at his job!"

Here's a thought on Soundwave. What if, since apparently Transformers duplicate the vehicles they scan completely, he switches places with a very important figure's car. A mayor of a city. The head of Sector Seven. The President. Doesn't matter.

Is the character he's spying on (who now is INSIDE HIM) say "Hmm, I bet this car I ride into work every day in is recording my conversation."

No. They'd ask if the phone lines were tapped, or make sure the person they're conversing with would be the only one to hear the conversation...while Soundwave's ENTIRE BODY records every detail, both audio and visual.

But let's say he's a tape deck. How would he get inside the tiny car without a SECOND robot carrying him inside. Or the OFFICE of the person he's spying on? But hey, let's assume for a second that somehow he gets inside. Maybe the entire building has forty foot tall ceilings and doorways. Wouldn't that character...or even YOU...notice a strange tape player, recording device, whatever, inside your office...which, considering the level of importance your job has, is under CONSTANT survelliance?

What's to stop Mr man from picking Soundwave up, opening a window, and chucking ol' Tapey far far away?

This isn't saturday morning anymore. People notice things out of the ordinary, even if the objects ARE ordinary.

A tape deck or portable sound system is not strange. They are as ubiquitous as you can get, and they are everywhere. I don't know of one work place that doesn't keep a stereo for the employees to listen to while they work, particularly an office. And, the fact that it is small, it is that much more inconspicuous. Being tiny is not a flaw, it is an advantage.

If we did alow mass shifting wouldn't a cell phone make more sense? I mean, it wouldn't eject tapes but what does.

Come to think of it didn't the out of place walkman soundwave get noticed in like 90%1 episodes forceing him to be a giant robot and kick ass anyway?

No, it wouldn't. The only type of alt mode other than a sound system that would fit Soundwave would be a laptop computer since that is a multi-media communcations device with access to things like the internet.

Sooooo Telephones are to archaic for Decepicons, but tape recorders are the best way to store info. Decepticons don't have mp3s then?

And WE like tf cartoons from 84 Because we liked them IN 84. Not many people pick up a $50 doller half season of the tfs and say "Wow, 20 year old cartoons I've never seen! I bet they cant even keep the characters voices/images strait, much less the story! Lets try these out." We are the smallish market for those and the only reason we get them is that the money is 80% cream as they made the money for them back in th 80s. Don't delude yourself.

As a cybertronian Spy with superior tech, I would think SW could access the internet if he turned into a pencil sharpener. Oh and I seem to recall some phones do connect to the internet and function as mulit media devices. Still don't spit out tapes though

All right guys, I'm out. Not totally bowing out of the debate, but I'll have sporadic internet until Monday or so. But I've still got a lot of things to say on the subject.

I do hope, by Monday, that we will move past saying that an Ambulance helps to repair or transport giant robots and get to explaining how it does it.

-Hobbes

Sooooo Telephones are to archaic for Decepicons, but tape recorders are the best way to store info. Decepticons don't have mp3s then?

And WE like tf cartoons from 84 Because we liked them IN 84. Not many people pick up a $50 doller half season of the tfs and say "Wow, 20 year old cartoons I've never seen! I bet they cant even keep the characters voices/images strait, much less the story! Lets try these out." We are the smallish market for those and the only reason we get them is that the money is 80% cream as they made the money for them back in th 80s. Don't delude yourself.

As a cybertronian Spy with superior tech, I would think SW could access the internet if he turned into a pencil sharpener. Oh and I seem to recall some phones do connect to the internet and function as mulit media devices. Still don't spit out tapes though

Archaic has nothing to do with it. The fact that a phone requires someone to pick it up and hold it to their ear is. A phone is also useless for recording or storing information. A sound system or a portable computer multimedia system is much better at recording, storing, playing back and/or displaying communications and data. A pencil sharpener would also be useless for displaying or playing back data.

Even in 84 I NEVER thought SW actually recorded ON the tape. I allways thought he just Looked like a tape deck. Why megatron would need Pick up this theoretical ( and increasingly irrelevent) soundwave Phone escapes me.

The entire arguement is moot, of course, since Soundwave never recorded anything in the original show. It was always Laserbeak doing the actual recording. All Soundwave did was act as a playing system. And considering that the Autobot computer back then had tape slots the exact size and shape as Ravage's cassette mode, this means this sort of thing is standard computer hardware.

Which makes Soundwave less "communications" and more "That guy on the Sci Fi show who repeats everything the computer says so he can feel special".

Blot thats so true I could Puke.

So in an ambulanceless, cassetless universe... Let's get back to the notion that Mass Shiffting searves no vital story or theame perposes that could not be better and more eficiently fullfillid by simply having small Tfs. Ala Frenzy.

Even in 84 I NEVER thought SW actually recorded ON the tape. I allways thought he just Looked like a tape deck. Why megatron would need Pick up this theoretical ( and increasingly irrelevent) soundwave Phone escapes me.

No, he didn't record on actual tape, but he and his minions did record and play back data and transmissions. A tape deck was the closest Earth equivalent to what Soundwave was on Cybertron: a communications recording and transceiving device.

The entire arguement is moot, of course, since Soundwave never recorded anything in the original show. It was always Laserbeak doing the actual recording. All Soundwave did was act as a playing system. And considering that the Autobot computer back then had tape slots the exact size and shape as Ravage's cassette mode, this means this sort of thing is standard computer hardware.

Which makes Soundwave less "communications" and more "That guy on the Sci Fi show who repeats everything the computer says so he can feel special".

That is part of communications. Interpreting messages and data and providing them for your superiors and troops as well as intercepting enemy communications and suppying that data to your superiors. And acting as a playback system is also part of his function. Without his specific mode, how would they be able to play back Laserbeak's or ravage's intelligence? Soundwave was the hardware that processed that data and played it back for Megatron. The Cassettes were just storage devices for the data. What good is a tape without a recorder? What good is a computer disk or CD without the computer to process and play back the data? The data collected by the cassettes was useless without Soundwave to decode it, analize it and play it back. Add to that the fat that he could perform that function in the field. That is something Teletran-1 certainly cannot do. It was stationary. Soundwave was mobile and, in alt mode, portable.

Archived