The Bond Gadget Test

Hobbes-timus Prime

Tramp I LOVE G1 Lore. If I could write my own tf stuff I'd rather write a cartoon series or comic cuz I can't get away from it. Fact. But in the movies they are going to let alot go. Mass Shifting has been dead in the main Tf lines for well over a decade and the movie is just its formal funeral. I feel what I've herd the writers and Don say is that "We don't want to piss off the fans by being the ones to say its dead" but it was DOA when they got there. for 15 years or so Cartoon writers didn't feel they could get away with it.

Is Megatron defined by Mass shifting? No. Hell Galvatron had a gun mode as a toy and the 86 cartoons didn't even want to deal with that. They stuck with the cannon. Cuz mass shiftiing is, I think I said 4-5 pages ago,... DUMB.

To me Megatron is Defined by Self Importance, Belief in the Decepicon cause, and having a big Gun, preferably on his arm.

To me Soundwave is defined by, Loyalty to Megatron, Luitenant of Megatron, and spitting out other little tfs...

Neither need to fit in my pocket to seem authentic.

As for the Importance of alt modes showing function. Jazz was the audio autobot beforre blaster and he was a car. Wheeljack was the original scientist and he was a ...car. Ratchet was a medic and he was an abulance, I'll grant you. Prime's Truckness made him leader not because of his "Mobile command" hooey, but because a truck is bigger than say... a car.

The Transformers on screen representation has been moving away from what we have lovingly dubbed mass shifting since 1986. The Year is 2007, I think we've arrived.

If Mass conversion were DoA, it wouldn't have been used in Cybertron. Soundwave is defined by more than just his being the loyal leiutenent to Megatron and spitting smaller bots from his chest. It is also for bring a tape deck and being one of the few who grew from a tiny device to a huge robot. Hasbro themselves have stated that he had to mass shift because it was a defining aspect of his character. Mass conversion is one of the things that was inherent to Soundwave and he isn't the same without it. Transforming into a sound system is inherent to Soundwave. it is inherent even in his name. Soundwave. Megatron was defined by his firepower as well as his cruelty and arrogance. The Walther P-38, a WWII German pistol certainly embodied those qualities though it forced him to rely on others when he transformed. A tank mode was definately a better choice when G2 came along. As for Prime, I agree his large Truck mode certainly commands respect, but the trailer being able to transform into a command center certainly helps him do his job. Jazz was not the "audio" Autobot. He was Special Operations, not Communications. He was the "cool dude" who could assimilate any culture and fit in. He also loved his music.. He was a hot car with a hot sound system built in. Perfect for cruisin' and filling up on culture.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fine, you want the hole deeper, we'll play in 1987. When toys were designed after characters were made.

Brainstorm is Biomechanical Engineer. Yet he turns into a jetplane. Not science base like Prime's trailer.

Chromedome is a Computer Programmer. And he turns into a car. Not a computer.

Wingspan turns into a robot hawk. Surely his function relates to aerial combat! Wrong. "Data Processor".

So why is a new take on Soundwave limited to an alt mode that pretty much makes his overall function a joke?

"Hey guys, I'm Soundwave! Decepticon communications! I turn into a tape deck! Did the sound joke get through your head yet?"

Doublecross is the Autobot Supply Procurer. Wouldn't having an alt mode of say...a dump truck, or semi truck with trailer be better at procuring and transporting supplies than a two headed dragon robot?

It is my experience, Tramp, that cartoons from say 1984, were actually at their peak mass market apeal in... 1984.

If they used mass conversion in Cybertron I must have missed it. Though I didn't watch that CARTOON because it well... sucked. Alot. Like a Jetstorm who mass shifts into a hoover sucks.

Their character personalities and functions were often based upon the model chosen. It wasn't a matter of coming up with a character and trying to figure out an alt mode for him.

But the movie storytelling is.

Story telling is always important, and has always been important, even back when they first started the Transformers. Coming up with appropriate characters and background stories for them was what made it so popular.

They had an ambulance model. What kind of character suits an ambulance? A medic. Call him Ratchet.

But he's not a human medic. He fixes machines. What elements of an ambulance helps you repair giant alien machines? Is it thematic to his character? Yes. But does it actually assist of the performing of his function? No.

Ratchet is amedic. Not just for robots, but Humans as well. His Bio itself states that he is fully versed in Transformer, human and myriad other mechanical and biological physiologies from across the galaxy. So, he is not just a robot medic, he is an all around medic and doctor.

Fine, you want the hole deeper, we'll play in 1987. When toys were designed after characters were made.

Brainstorm is Biomechanical Engineer. Yet he turns into a jetplane. Not science base like Prime's trailer.

Chromedome is a Computer Programmer. And he turns into a car. Not a computer.

Wingspan turns into a robot hawk. Surely his function relates to aerial combat! Wrong. "Data Processor".

So why is a new take on Soundwave limited to an alt mode that pretty much makes his overall function a joke?

"Hey guys, I'm Soundwave! Decepticon communications! I turn into a tape deck! Did the sound joke get through your head yet?"

Doublecross is the Autobot Supply Procurer. Wouldn't having an alt mode of say...a dump truck, or semi truck with trailer be better at procuring and transporting supplies than a two headed dragon robot?

Wierdwolf is a tracker. Wideload is Materials transport. Hosehead is Emergency rescue. L:andfill is Materials Transport. Landmine iis an Astroid Miner. Quickmix is a chemist. Rollbar is a Tracker. For a majority of the characters in the series, their alt modes are a direct reflection of their jobs or personalities, often times both. Soundwave's alt mode reflects both his function and his personality, as well as his name. No other type of alt mode more perfectly matches him that a sound system.

Tramp... Why do you never respond to me anymore?

Ratchet is amedic. Not just for robots, but Humans as well. His Bio itself states that he is fully versed in Transformer, human and myriad other mechanical and biological physiologies from across the galaxy. So, he is not just a robot medic, he is an all around medic and doctor.

Humans nothing. Ratchet's original bio reads:

Ratchet was the best tool-and-die man on Cybertron. In his workbay he can make anything from a pin to a missile. Repairs injured Autobots, given the right parts. Likes to party, give backtalk, but does any job as well as anyone. Has laser scalpels, arc-welders, electron microscopes, circuit sensors, fluid dispensers at his disposal. Sometimes his having a good time interferes with his effectiveness.

Any human doctoring he picked up after he got to Earth, and after he had an ambulance selected for his alt. mode. And it's still an alt. mode that doesn't help him repair Autobots, which is his primary function.

EDITED TO ADD: He's got electron microscopes at his disposal! Wouldn't Perceptor just want to use one of those instead of turning into one?

Soundwave's alt mode reflects both his function and his personality, as well as his name. No other type of alt mode more perfectly matches him that a sound system.

Wouldn't a telephone be a better alt mode for a communicator? That way he could send messages and hear them first hand! He'd just sit on the desk...waiting...and waiting...and waiting....

The flaw in your arguement, Trampy, is that sound systems are TINY. Even if Soundwave devoted all his systems to being a sound system, it'd be like a human laying down with his eyes closed to talk on the phone. You most certainly don't have to pretend to sleep to talk to someone.

And neither should Soundwave, just because it "OMG makes him like a MILLION times better at his job!"

Here's a thought on Soundwave. What if, since apparently Transformers duplicate the vehicles they scan completely, he switches places with a very important figure's car. A mayor of a city. The head of Sector Seven. The President. Doesn't matter.

Is the character he's spying on (who now is INSIDE HIM) say "Hmm, I bet this car I ride into work every day in is recording my conversation."

No. They'd ask if the phone lines were tapped, or make sure the person they're conversing with would be the only one to hear the conversation...while Soundwave's ENTIRE BODY records every detail, both audio and visual.

But let's say he's a tape deck. How would he get inside the tiny car without a SECOND robot carrying him inside. Or the OFFICE of the person he's spying on? But hey, let's assume for a second that somehow he gets inside. Maybe the entire building has forty foot tall ceilings and doorways. Wouldn't that character...or even YOU...notice a strange tape player, recording device, whatever, inside your office...which, considering the level of importance your job has, is under CONSTANT survelliance?

What's to stop Mr man from picking Soundwave up, opening a window, and chucking ol' Tapey far far away?

This isn't saturday morning anymore. People notice things out of the ordinary, even if the objects ARE ordinary.

If we did alow mass shifting wouldn't a cell phone make more sense? I mean, it wouldn't eject tapes but what does.

Come to think of it didn't the out of place walkman soundwave get noticed in like 90%1 episodes forceing him to be a giant robot and kick ass anyway?

Soundwave's alt mode reflects both his function and his personality, as well as his name. No other type of alt mode more perfectly matches him that a sound system.

Wouldn't a telephone be a better alt mode for a communicator? That way he could send messages and hear them first hand! He'd just sit on the desk...waiting...and waiting...and waiting....

The flaw in your arguement, Trampy, is that sound systems are TINY. Even if Soundwave devoted all his systems to being a sound system, it'd be like a human laying down with his eyes closed to talk on the phone. You most certainly don't have to pretend to sleep to talk to someone.

And neither should Soundwave, just because it "OMG makes him like a MILLION times better at his job!"

Here's a thought on Soundwave. What if, since apparently Transformers duplicate the vehicles they scan completely, he switches places with a very important figure's car. A mayor of a city. The head of Sector Seven. The President. Doesn't matter.

Is the character he's spying on (who now is INSIDE HIM) say "Hmm, I bet this car I ride into work every day in is recording my conversation."

No. They'd ask if the phone lines were tapped, or make sure the person they're conversing with would be the only one to hear the conversation...while Soundwave's ENTIRE BODY records every detail, both audio and visual.

But let's say he's a tape deck. How would he get inside the tiny car without a SECOND robot carrying him inside. Or the OFFICE of the person he's spying on? But hey, let's assume for a second that somehow he gets inside. Maybe the entire building has forty foot tall ceilings and doorways. Wouldn't that character...or even YOU...notice a strange tape player, recording device, whatever, inside your office...which, considering the level of importance your job has, is under CONSTANT survelliance?

What's to stop Mr man from picking Soundwave up, opening a window, and chucking ol' Tapey far far away?

This isn't saturday morning anymore. People notice things out of the ordinary, even if the objects ARE ordinary.

This is a great point...because this sounds exactly like something Soundwave would do. Despite being listed as the guy in charge of "Communications" in his bio, never really did anything to allow Decepticons to communicate with each other. He was just always spying and gaining information for Megs to use.

Does he even need to be the "communications" guy in the sequel, or just their new espionage guy?

Or does he need to spit out ravage and laserbeak and kick autobot ass?

Archived