The Bond Gadget Test

Hobbes-timus Prime

This thread should be cut out of the INTERNETS and framed in Don Murphy's livingroom.

Seriously, we're adults here people! These are some of the stupidest arguments I've ever had the misfortune to read!

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, I need some Don Murphy wants SW proof, or I will be forced to tell you that Bay and I talked at my bbq last week about how the sequel is going to be about the Wreckers and Deathshead fighting on nebulos so as to seguae into a Headmasters/Justice Leage Movie.

Have you seen the panel discussion he was in at TF Con. Videos of it are on their site. There are also videos of Q&As with the writers on the official movie site. One of them is a question about Soundwave.

Oh, here is the link to the TFCon 2006 Q&A with Doin Murphy— Don Murphy Q&A. There are five videos in all.

Ok... I broke down and went to the tf movie site to watch the video of the writer . I'll get to the pannel one later.

I just don't know where to begin...

This video clears the whole thing up at, least if these writers write the sequel. There will be no mass shifting. They say originally the frenzy character, who turns into a stereo, WAS Soundwave. The characters perpose was to do all those oh so spiffy spy and be little amongst the humans things you wanted to see. Well they're in this movie, and when faced with the desire/need to have the gadget spy decepticon, did they mass shift? No... they made a smaller bot.

Maybe new writers would do somthing different. But this production team has made there position Manifest in the character of Frenzy.

Don Murphy does say he advocates puting soundwave in the second movie siteing what was then recent discussion that his then currant part was to small. Taken the writer video into consideration this was when the decision to make the stereo character into frenzy.

So what were discussing is basicly, are they going to have Another stereo character in the second movie who operates on an entirly different principal. I kinda doubt it.

He also mentions mass shifting and mashifting related issues (Megs as a Gun ect...) and is very dissmissive, in MY opinoin. Take what you will from that.

At the moment both Tramp and I seem to think these videos favor our seperate views.

FYI the most pertanant Don Murphy clips at the link Tramp gave us are 1 and 2. (correct me if I am misstaken)

station

Just spent an hour in INH before returning & sadly INH didn't provide half the roffles as some of the responses on the previous page of this thread did. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing but regardless of what I think this thread continues to motor on ward.

So the main topic seems to be ambulances or something. What in an ambulance can be used to repair a robot? So why is this relevant again? from what i remember the ambulance er Ratchet never changed size from his human alt scale. Just another of many noticable animation errors throughout the serries. Same goes for Astrotrain & Jetfire. I don't think this was even thought of as mass shifting or however it was retconned later on just a means to get all the necessary characters from point a to point b without having to design another escape vehicle. I will admit Astrotrain/Jetfire would be huge as robots because of the already large scale of the alt modes but in alt mode theyed still be in scale with what they transformed into. Equal mass/distribution what not. Mass shiftinng basically says (According to DW) that the character has the cybernetic ability to grow larger or shrink smaller on a molecular level to suit the Decepticons needs. Or more accurately the scripts needs.

I think this has been said probably a thousand times but most kids unless they're really sharp won't question this in a 20 minute comercial for toys but most adults will in a movie setting. Not to say a vast majority of movie goers are complete tards but as simple & easy to follow as something like the Matrix was understand the first time around others I knew couldn't quite wrap there heads around it & felt completely lost. I'd hardly call the Matrix complicated movie, elaborate fiction yes but mainstream enough for most people to get. Transformers unlike the Matrix should be without a doubt a lot simpler a movie to follow.

The concepts though new to those who are not part of the fandom have been broken down into the simplist components without losing a lot of the original concept behind it. Don't crucify m,e for saying it but a lot of Bay's movie feels like Armada. The difference being no minicons or obnoxious highschool kids. Basically two factions arrive on earth in search of something (instead of minicons teh Energon cube) assume civilian/military alt modes & fight it out.

Don't know if you ever stopped to notice it but Armada had no mass shifting (plenty of animation errors) but no mass shifting & worked fine through Energon. Cybertron however messed up but as a kids cartoon who really cares. That argued I honestly can't see any reason why Transformers 1-3 or how many ever they plan to make would need to rely on bullBlot retcon. All that did was give the fans a valid explanation as to why the animation was so crappy in the 80s. The scripters/animators didn't care as to why or how Soundwave/Megatron went from handheld to giant freaking robots or where Prime's trailer/TF weapons went this was for kids who bought toys at the time & nothing more.

With the exception of the newer comic continuitys mass shifting/subspace wasn't even an issue in the later TF anime series. What makes anybody think they'd go back to it in an live action movie update. Key word there being UPDATE not RETREAD/RETCON.

I have to laugh at those who say the movies not for us. Sorry but for me personally this is what I've wanted to see Transformers as since I rejoined the fandom. Autobots/Decepticons kicking the crap out of each other on an epic scale. I did like Rid through Cybertron & with the exception of one really kickass fight in the last episode of Armada felt the show was way to restrained & hindered the potential altogether. Of course this was for kids so who was I to complain. Micheal Bay however is taking back the franchise for the kid in all of us as well as many more who couldn't care less about the brand but love hollywood summer blockbuster action movies. The last thing people are going to want is to sit through a fanboy movie that caters to all the known beliefs/ideas/terminology of said fandom. Hell I'm part of the fando & I wouldn't want to sit through that.

I'm all for Soundwave in the sequal but not as a retro 80 stereobox. Of all the useless alt modes for a giant robot to choose why an effing stereo? This isn't a perod piece, & it's not the 80s. Blackout was pratically Soundwave. He took out a whole base with an EMP blast. How does that not fill his job discription? Interfernce? The only thing I would argue that did take away from his character as Soundwave would be his relation to Megatron as a fathful servent or go person. If Megatron said it Soundwave would do it. The script probably didn't turn out that way so there saving him for a script where he does serve that iconic purpose. Doesn't mean he'll shrink down to cassette player/Ipod/Tivo. As long as he's something with equal mass/distribution in both modes I won't complain.

Ya know Sandloki, normaly I don't mind the novela length posts, but did you contemplate that in here some one might cut quote it and take up 12 pages?

Ya know Sandloki, normaly I don't mind the novela length posts, but did you contemplate that in here some one might cut quote it and take up 12 pages?

Uh, yeah, ideas all just sort of come at once with me.

When I first started posting I didn't quite know how to go about it so a lot of my earliest posts looked like that.

INH was a bad training ground btw.

Don Murphy does say he advocates puting soundwave in the second movie siteing what was then recent discussion that his then currant part was to small. Taken the writer video into consideration this was when the decision to make the stereo character into frenzy.

So what were discussing is basicly, are they going to have Another stereo character in the second movie who operates on an entirly different principal. I kinda doubt it.

He also mentions mass shifting and mashifting related issues (Megs as a Gun ect...) and is very dissmissive, in MY opinoin. Take what you will from that.

At the moment both Tramp and I seem to think these videos favor our seperate views.

FYI the most pertanant Don Murphy clips at the link Tramp gave us are 1 and 2. (correct me if I am misstaken)

station

Remember, that when he was asked whether Soundwave would be a stereo system of some form even if he were moved to a sequel, Don emphatically said, "yes". Don has always advocated remaining as true to the original G1 characters as possible. Don was dismissive of making Megatron a gun because that mode is not practical for a Decepticon Leader since it would require him to rely on someone else holding him and pulling the trigger. Why would someone like Megatron want to have to rely on someone else? As for which videos of the panel discussion are most pertanent, you might want to look at video number 3 that is the one which discussed why size shifting is more limited in the first move some of the reasones sited for soundwave being put off until the second movie are:

]"Q: What's happening with SOUNDWAVE in the movie?

A: SOUNDWAVE is still in the script but he might be put off until the next movie since currently having him as a CD and not mass-shifting could make it seem really strange for a lot of people."

Now, to me, Don is saying that mass shifting is pretty important to getting Soundwave right and people recognizing him. Part of Soundwave's schtic was his ability to mass shift.

* SOUNDWAVE will be mentioned in the movie but may not be in the first movie,

and wait till the second (not sure as of yet) He stated "I don't want to rush

and develop SOUNDWAVE's character wrong, SOUNDWAVE is too important to get him

wrong"

I would also recommend that you check out the various articles and interviews over on Seibertron.com. There are too many to link or directly cite (well over 500+) and date back a far as the first announcement of the movie. about 22 of them deal directly or indirectly with Soundwave. In a report dated 17 Apr 2005, Siebertron.com posted several quots from Don on his message boards, something they have continued to do sice. Among them was this quote:
"In the meeting on Thursday Hasbro all but DEMANDED that SOUNDWAVE mass shift.... the writers seemed okay with it...."

Michael Bay also said this about why they went with Frenzy in the first movie:

Frenzy: "had some evolution for us," started off as SOUNDWAVE but had contradictions and changed to stay truer to G1. Smaller, able to infiltrate. Stealth spy, can hide anywhere.
This can be found in his blog dated May of 2006 Here is the link— Michael Bay files.

As for the writers, you seem to be under the impression that they are totally against mass shifting in any movie, and that is certainly not the jist I got from them. The only reason why they said mass shifting wouldn't be in the first movie was because it would be too much for the first movie. Did they or Don Murphy say mass shifting in general was a stupid idea that should never have been used? No. All they have said was that it was too much for the first movie on top of evrything else. Robert Orci also said this about Soundwave in June of 2006:

"I guess all I can say is that IF you see SOUNDWAVE, he will be the closer to the one you know and love than any of the rumors would lead you to believe"

Now, based upon the fact that from the very beginning, Hasbro wanted Soundwave to be able to mass shift, that Don advocated moving Soundwave to the sequel because he felt that not having Soundwave mass shift could put too many people off and he wanted to develop the character more, and Robert Orci has stated they want Soundwave to be as close as possible to his G1 incarnation too, that certainly seems to all point to Soundwave being able to mass shift and be a stereo or similar device if they use him in the sequel.

Oh, and Hobbes, in the movie, Ratchet isn't an ambulance, he's a wilderness Search and Rescue vehicle, a paramedic's truck. So, that question is kind of moot isn't it. In the cartoon and comics, he was given an alt mode that most closely resembled his original Cybertronian mode which was a Cybertronian ambulance. And while an Earth ambulance would be stocked with stuff for helping humans, a Cybertonian one would obviously be stocked with stuff to heal a Transformer. You can bet that Ratchet was socked with stuff for both. Not only that, but when a Transformer is damaged badly enough, they usually cannot transform, particularly into vehicle mode, and thus, they need to be carried out on a gurny not towed by a tow truck. Does that answer your question?

Archived