The Bond Gadget Test

Hobbes-timus Prime

In movies ABOUT shrinking yeah, finel.

But what would it bring to a movie about liveing transforming robots? Whats it for? Why do you even want it? Why would a film maker bother? Even the dorks cant agree it makes sense. I'm all for a retcon excuse for the original line so we can continue to enjoy the premise in our old age in comics or maybe for role playing but I see no point in shoving a overburdend overtechnical RETCON down the throats of a mainstream audience that we want to like our chosen franchise.

Leave it in the 2nd dimension. It's fine there.

OMFG your sarcasm is the only thing saving this thread right now.

Also that's exactly what I tried to say several pages back.

Simply put Transformers isn't being approached as a fanboy's wet dream in that everything will be a 100% true to it's source but as a movie non dorks/fan boys would want to see, & enjoy without having to know all the fanboy jargon.

As much as has been changed I'm actually quite surprised how much of it still remains at the heart of what Transformers not only are but were.

Soundwave done right would have been Blackout but seeing as we have to wait for him to be in a sequel I'd have no objection to him being a Stealth bomber. Not sure where Ravage/Lazerbeak would fit in as components but if they were to be introduced I'm sure the production team could design something much cooler than transforming tape cassettes. it was cool in the 80s but in the real world of live action film making it's laughable. Personally I'm having difficulty seeing a robotic hawk or jaguar being used convincingly. Why animals? Ravage & Laserbeak are iconic but for what reason would the Decepticons need transforming animal characters in a movie?

Or we could have Giant Robots hitting each other.

That explanation is exactly why they shouldn't do it. Most of they money they will pull in on this thing will come from people who read less than 20 comics a month and have no Idea what soundwave "done right" is.

Soundwave done right would pop 7ft CASSETTES out his chest. Hey maybey they could "Update" Soundwave and have him turn into a VCR!

My fingers would fall off trying to counter all the out of context comic character explanations to justify your point so I'm not going to bother. Dude really we don't live in dorktopia (much I as I wish we did) and even if we did mass shiffiting is and allways will be (as much as I, a dork, Like it) a half assed retcon.

This is like the best asnwer to all. :thumb

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great fix tramp. It'll only take 3-4 min. of exposition to explain why a suitibly main character is using that device. Wouldn't want to waste that time on an action sequence, story, or Primus forbid, character development. Maybe they will have it in the sequel: "Transformers 2:Semantic Dialogue"

Hell forget the movie lets all go home and read a TF RPG sourcebook. In braile.

I have all sorts of crazy ideas as too what would make the TFs done right. Prime should have a Trailer. Shouldn't have flames. But a disapearing trailer is weak. Makeing an excuse for where is comes from would waste more time than its worth. Animating it at all would probably cost a hundred thousand dollers. So I can see why a filmaker, if they could find any way to, would get rid of it. And I just have to get over that.

Still havin' trouble with the flames though.

We're getting that in the first movie. We need something moree for the second.

...Shrinking Robots Hitting each other?

Having a disappearing trailer may be weak, but having one that becomes a mobile command platformn isn't. Mass shifting isn't the same thing as a "disappearing trailer".

...Shrinking Robots Hitting each other?

No, PC, the shrinking robots record stuff. It's action packed!

I still want to know what can be found in an ambulance for fixing robots.

I know Hobbes

Maybe theres a Betamax deck that turns into a repair droid. That'd ont take 2 min. to explain hobbes. That even stevens kid could do a monologe on the history of beta as superior format to VHS. And the brand name on the deck could be Ninjika as a shout out to my alltime favorite episode Face of the Ninjika featuring perceptor who could be a microscope in the back of the ambulence. All those 16-21 year olds in the audienc would love that!

In movies ABOUT shrinking yeah, finel.

But what would it bring to a movie about liveing transforming robots? Whats it for? Why do you even want it? Why would a film maker bother? Even the dorks cant agree it makes sense. I'm all for a retcon excuse for the original line so we can continue to enjoy the premise in our old age in comics or maybe for role playing but I see no point in shoving a overburdend overtechnical RETCON down the throats of a mainstream audience that we want to like our chosen franchise.

Leave it in the 2nd dimension. It's fine there.

OMFG your sarcasm is the only thing saving this thread right now.

Also that's exactly what I tried to say several pages back.

Simply put Transformers isn't being approached as a fanboy's wet dream in that everything will be a 100% true to it's source but as a movie non dorks/fan boys would want to see, & enjoy without having to know all the fanboy jargon.

As much as has been changed I'm actually quite surprised how much of it still remains at the heart of what Transformers not only are but were.

Soundwave done right would have been Blackout but seeing as we have to wait for him to be in a sequel I'd have no objection to him being a Stealth bomber. Not sure where Ravage/Lazerbeak would fit in as components but if they were to be introduced I'm sure the production team could design something much cooler than transforming tape cassettes. it was cool in the 80s but in the real world of live action film making it's laughable. Personally I'm having difficulty seeing a robotic hawk or jaguar being used convincingly. Why animals? Ravage & Laserbeak are iconic but for what reason would the Decepticons need transforming animal characters in a movie?

Or we could have Giant Robots hitting each other.

That explanation is exactly why they shouldn't do it. Most of they money they will pull in on this thing will come from people who read less than 20 comics a month and have no Idea what soundwave "done right" is.

Soundwave done right would pop 7ft CASSETTES out his chest. Hey maybey they could "Update" Soundwave and have him turn into a VCR!

My fingers would fall off trying to counter all the out of context comic character explanations to justify your point so I'm not going to bother. Dude really we don't live in dorktopia (much I as I wish we did) and even if we did mass shiffiting is and allways will be (as much as I, a dork, Like it) a half assed retcon.

This is like the best asnwer to all. :thumb

The reason why they didn't make Blackout or Frenzy Soundwave is because neither fit the character, and a majority of the fans wanted Soundwave to be more like his original G1 iuncarnation, that being a portable stereo of some form. They wanted him to mass shift. However, something like that would be too much for the first movie which is why they decided to move Soundwave to the second movie.

...Yes it is.

No, it isn't. There is a big difference. Mass shifitng is just alother special ability like teleportation and cloaking. a "disappearing trailer" is not. That is just hiding something not immediately needed. Besides, did the trailer really "disappear"? all we saw was the trailer exit off screen. It didn't necessarily disappear into thin air, and Prime is noeve mentioned of having the ability to have his other components vanish into thin air or some pocket dimension. All it says is that the trailer transforms into a field command station. People just assume that it vanishes when he isn't using it.

Also, for the record, whether or not Prime will tow a trailer at all in the movie has been purposely left vague.

How is "telportation or cloaking" not disapearing?

This is all semantic dork talk though. They don't care what soundwaves character is like in the goddamn cartoon. They care what went well in the marketing tests. And if this movie goes well and all of the movie going earth has their Transformer susspension of disbelief permanantly streched open I hope the don't waste it on Perceptor turning into a microscope.

I want them to give us THE DINOBOTS FIGHTING DEVESTATOR WHILE UNICRON EATS THE TF_ING MOON!

How is "telportation or cloaking" not disapearing?

This is all semantic dork talk though. They don't care what soundwaves character is like in the goddamn cartoon. They care what went well in the marketing tests. And if this movie goes well and all of the movie going earth has their Transformer susspension of disbelief permanantly streched open I hope the don't waste it on Perceptor turning into a microscope.

I want them to give us THE DINOBOTS FIGHTING DEVESTATOR WHILE UNICRON EATS THE TF_ING MOON!

It isn't the same thing as what people commonly believe happens with Prime's trailer, which is that it disappears into some sort of pocket dimension, and which has never been established in any Transformers canon. Cloaking is not disappearing into thin air. It is bending light around yourself to give the illusion of having disappeared. Teleportation is intantaneous line-of-sight transportation to another location, not a vanishing act. It is also very useful from a tactical stand point. As for Perceptior, I doubt they will use him, but Soundwave is one that Don Murphy does want to use in the next movie and does want to have him be as true to the original character as possible mass conversion and all. They didn't want to use him in the first movie simply because his mass conversion ability may have been too much to explain along with everything else. By saving it for the sequel, people would hav already accepted the other fantasitc elements which allows them to intorduce others. For example, let's look at the original Star Wars trilogy. In the first movie, we only get a mere glimps of what fantastic powers the Force can grant. Nothing overtly fantastic. In the next movie though, we see Luke moving small objects with his mind and making fantastic leaps through the air, and Yoda levatating an entire X-Wing from a swamp. The fantastic is introduced in stages, not all at once. The same is true here. IF they try to cram too much of the fantastic into the first movie, it can cause a break down of the suspension of disbelief. By saving some of those fantastic elements for a later movie, the audience has the opportunity to accept what elements are currently there, and therefore, be receptive to more fantastic elements later. You don't want to bombard them with too much at once.

I just assumed Prime would have a normal human trailer in the movie. but not necessarily a transforming dissapearing one.

That is quite possible, if he has one at all in the first movie. If he has one at all though, it won't simply disappear into thin air or some pocket dimension. It will either be a normal trailer, one that can transform, or none at all. Whatever it is, Don Murphy and the others have been deliberately vague on the issue.

Archived