The Bond Gadget Test

Hobbes-timus Prime

And my posts are not always (read = never) personal attacks directed at you, angst boy. :tflaugh

Just seemed like I couldn't say that I liked the movie toys sense of scale, without you havign to tell me I'm being myopic and not thinking through it as a company would. I do understand their reasons and expect nothing less from them. I just didn't see a need to be told I was being myopic is all.

BUT YOU ARE YOU ARE OMG LOLZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Sorry for not being clearer -- I usually springboard off of specific posts to make larger points that are more generally applicable to "the fandom" than any one person.

oh and

sorry%20world.JPG

LOL.

That ROFFLED up my day!

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok to get this back on topic - and to indulge Hobbes a little - here is:

HUNTER'S VERSION OF

HOW MASS SHIFTING COULD WORK IN LIVE A ACTION MOVIE

(at least this is how i would do it)

I'm going to use Soundwave as my example here because we all know thats who we are talking about even if we dont want to admit it.

So lets assume he comes to earth as a 30' robot. And he decides he needs to become a Stereo sound system of some sort that a Human can pick up.

The way i would go about this is by expanding the definition of Nano-Tech. Its already hinted at in the first movie right? and The Mainstream audience has seen a simmilar (albeit very simplified ) notion in practice with Terminator2.

So lets look at the idea of Nano-Tech.

A) Tfs are using it as their Circulitory system. Meaning when they regenerate, this is actually NanoTech rebuilding the damaged body.

B) What is Nano-Tech? For the purposes of Sci-Fi - I am going to define it as: Molecular sized construction robots. Ie: blood cells for TFs. HOWEVER in some cases, some very special bots (like soundwave) they have the ability to really build and construct new forms at the molecular or even atomic level. Essentially these mini robots are going to be playing legos with atoms.

And what makes these bots special is probably not the actual nanotech themselves but the processing power able to create the body maps necessary for this kind of transition. (same could be said for Tripple changers)

So whats going to happen the first time SW transforms into a tape deck is NOT some subspace cubby hole. But rather the extra mass is litterally going to be disentigrated and broken down to its base molecules and atoms. And now what we have to keep in mind is that EVERYTHING that is soundwave, All his thoughts, identity as well as the 30-foot tall robot body map - has to be contained inside this small item the size of an ipod or boombox or something.

Here is where it gets tricky, and where the Fanboys are going to Starscream and where Maybe we can work in some interesting Story twists.

1) When he shrinks - there is going to be a massive discharge of energy. What does that mean to surrounding bots and humans? Not to mention the pure energy required to make the transformation either way. We may only be moving atoms but we still have to move the 30' worth of mass SOMEWHERE? Which could be part of the drive for energy, and could also make him the BIG BAD (in lieu of megatron) and also as a Show Piece make it only necessary for him to TF maybe once or twice during the film.

2) When soundwave decides to rebuild himself, he is (unless all those detached molecules are going to be bagged up in a suitcase for hime going to have to find new material to build from. And maybe unbeknownst to him (until its too late) Earth materials are not nearly as strong as cybertronian metals. Which means that everytime he Tfs, hes gonna get weaker. (abit of War of the Worlds here)

3) Maybe SW's minions are infact a by-product of this mass discharge?? which makes SW more of a Gestalt i suppose. It also means that each one is more like Roller/Drones than individuals.

4) At this point Tapedeck Kibble means nothing. The entire stereo is going to be be the size of a freckle or a mole on the full scale bot, if in fact its displayed externally at all. Which is no problem really but - the way most of the fanboys Starscream about unimportant stuff - i am sure the idea of SW with OUT a 10ft wide tapedeck chest is going to make them Blot themselves.

5) I, uh forgot my fifth point but will come back and add it later.

So this is how I propose Mass Shifting in the movie-verse. But for the record i think the premise is lame and unnecessary.

Your #3 is the best/most acceptable instance on it's own, without the other stuff, because it wouldn't make since for them as a species to be able to turn matter into energy during the Transformation sequence, the energy required alone to pull that off would power cybertron for a billion years :tflaugh

Ok to get this back on topic - and to indulge Hobbes a little - here is:

HUNTER'S VERSION OF

HOW MASS SHIFTING COULD WORK IN LIVE A ACTION MOVIE

(at least this is how i would do it)

I'm going to use Soundwave as my example here because we all know thats who we are talking about even if we dont want to admit it.

So lets assume he comes to earth as a 30' robot. And he decides he needs to become a Stereo sound system of some sort that a Human can pick up.

The way i would go about this is by expanding the definition of Nano-Tech. Its already hinted at in the first movie right? and The Mainstream audience has seen a simmilar (albeit very simplified ) notion in practice with Terminator2.

So lets look at the idea of Nano-Tech.

A) Tfs are using it as their Circulitory system. Meaning when they regenerate, this is actually NanoTech rebuilding the damaged body.

B) What is Nano-Tech? For the purposes of Sci-Fi - I am going to define it as: Molecular sized construction robots. Ie: blood cells for TFs. HOWEVER in some cases, some very special bots (like soundwave) they have the ability to really build and construct new forms at the molecular or even atomic level. Essentially these mini robots are going to be playing legos with atoms.

And what makes these bots special is probably not the actual nanotech themselves but the processing power able to create the body maps necessary for this kind of transition. (same could be said for Tripple changers)

So whats going to happen the first time SW transforms into a tape deck is NOT some subspace cubby hole. But rather the extra mass is litterally going to be disentigrated and broken down to its base molecules and atoms. And now what we have to keep in mind is that EVERYTHING that is soundwave, All his thoughts, identity as well as the 30-foot tall robot body map - has to be contained inside this small item the size of an ipod or boombox or something.

Here is where it gets tricky, and where the Fanboys are going to Starscream and where Maybe we can work in some interesting Story twists.

1) When he shrinks - there is going to be a massive discharge of energy. What does that mean to surrounding bots and humans? Not to mention the pure energy required to make the transformation either way. We may only be moving atoms but we still have to move the 30' worth of mass SOMEWHERE? Which could be part of the drive for energy, and could also make him the BIG BAD (in lieu of megatron) and also as a Show Piece make it only necessary for him to TF maybe once or twice during the film.

2) When soundwave decides to rebuild himself, he is (unless all those detached molecules are going to be bagged up in a suitcase for hime going to have to find new material to build from. And maybe unbeknownst to him (until its too late) Earth materials are not nearly as strong as cybertronian metals. Which means that everytime he Tfs, hes gonna get weaker. (abit of War of the Worlds here)

3) Maybe SW's minions are infact a by-product of this mass discharge?? which makes SW more of a Gestalt i suppose. It also means that each one is more like Roller/Drones than individuals.

4) At this point Tapedeck Kibble means nothing. The entire stereo is going to be be the size of a freckle or a mole on the full scale bot, if in fact its displayed externally at all. Which is no problem really but - the way most of the fanboys Starscream about unimportant stuff - i am sure the idea of SW with OUT a 10ft wide tapedeck chest is going to make them Blot themselves.

5) I, uh forgot my fifth point but will come back and add it later.

So this is how I propose Mass Shifting in the movie-verse. But for the record i think the premise is lame and unnecessary.

Ok - lets say this works. Soundwave would basically be a constantly shifting and moving Protoform (think BW before they scan an alt. mode). He would also have no need for kibble and very little need to look much like Soundwave outside his head and color-scheme. When Soundwave mass-shifted to be a stereo or whatever - he displaces his extra mass/atoms as Ravage, Laserbeak, Buzzsaw, Rumble, or others. These robotic drones could be given enough of Soundwave's consciousness or at least mild programming to function on their own as scouts, drones, Soundwave's protectors, or warriors. The onyl issue would be what if Laserbeak got PWN'd by Prime. Then Soundwave would have to find another source of material, or re-configure himself into a smaller robot form, loosing mass/atoms, whic hstory-wise could work. As the Autobots try to annihilate the "Cassettes" in order to de-power and basically destroy SW's chances of being the big baddy.

I agree with you - while this is neat and such - it's also pretty lame, excuse me very lame.

Your #3 is the best/most acceptable instance on it's own, without the other stuff, because it wouldn't make since for them as a species to be able to turn matter into energy during the Transformation sequence, the energy required alone to pull that off would power cybertron for a billion years :tflaugh

I guess SW has to really become an almost gluttunous Jaba the Hut like figure in that senario. Maybe its this constant consumption (not just by him, but by the cybertronians enmasse) thats draining the planet's resources to begin with.

Also like i said - he wouldnt be able to pull this trick very often.

Hunter,

That's actually a really creative and neat explanation of how it could work, and I think the visuals that come from that would be awesome on screen.

But I'm not really looking for the how. I don't need the how, because my suspension of disbelief stops here:

Why would he do that? What could possibly be the advantage to a 30' robot becoming a stereo as opposed to a four foot bot like Frenzy? I need the story point that would make him need or want to do that. After I have that story point, I'll listen to any techno-babble to explain how it happens.

Heck, if the why-he would-do-it is strong enough, I might not even need an explanation how-he-would-do-it.

Nano-tech I guess could be used to help with the mass shift and sense these guys already "automorph" maybe they could use liquid metal like in T2. There is a catch to this thought, there would have to be limit of sorts. What that limit is, I don't know.

yeah sorry Hobbes. Once again - i might have been able to think up some motivation here - but really the concept of:

Frenzy and Blackout =====>scorponik

really defeats any need for a GIANT robot becoming small.

So the movieverse has already negated any motivation these guys would have for mass shifting EVEN IF THEY COULD

Nano-tech I guess could be used to help with the mass shift and sense these guys already "automorph" maybe they could use liquid metal like in T2. There is a catch to this thought, there would have to be limit of sorts. What that limit is, I don't know.

Dude!! Did you even read my post? cause i already compared it to T2 and gave some suggested limitations.

yeah sorry Hobbes. Once again - i might have been able to think up some motivation here - but really the concept of:

Frenzy and Blackout =====>scorponik

really defeats any need for a GIANT robot becoming small.

So the movieverse has already negated any motivation these guys would have for mass shifting EVEN IF THEY COULD

I know...which is why I started this thread. :mwahaha Certain mass shifting supporters insist that Murphy and crew are going to give us mass shifting in the next movies, and that the reason they're waiting until next movie is because mass shifting requires an explanation that would only slow the plot to this first movie down. And, while I agree it would slow this first movie down, I want to know what they think mass shifting could possibly bring to the table as a technology the Transformers use to justify its use in any of the movies.

I'll go ahead and surrender to the "protoform mass shifts when scanning a new form" idea. To me, its feasible that Optimus could scan a motorbike or a battleship and wind up with a proportionatly sized bot mode from that*...but shifting during transformation the way the old cartoon did is silly and unneeded.

*Also, I think it would rule if in one of the sequels, maybe the end of third movie to close out the trilogy, if Optimus and Megatron were fighting, and the fight just kept going, across country or something, and they just kept scanning different modes again and again to increase their size/power or decrease their size to evade their opponent. And we could get like 2 dozen Prime and Megatron toys from that fight scene alone.

Archived