The Bond Gadget Test

Hobbes-timus Prime

Mass-shifting is a stupid concept IMO. Didn't fool me in the 80s & it certainly won't fool me now.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah, but does your wang molecular mass shift (mass conversion), or is it simple size shifting (Parts comression). And is it vital to the story?

And how come no Mass Shifting Supporters have answered my question? You know what I think it is...they're too chicken.

poor hobbs :tflaugh trying to keep his topic on topic despite talk of wangs and gay doods

:lol

I do respect what Hobbes is trying to do. which is actually address the concept of Mass shifting in a convincing way to an audience that expects a Photo-realistic world.

I guess my biggest problem with the idea of masshifting (and this really all comes back to Soundwave right?) at this point. Is that in the movie world we HAVE a stereo, and it turns into a 4' robot. Of course there is lots of expansion and stuff there. But its acceptable.

Trying to force the idea of Mass-shifing into this universe now, not only introduces a silly premise BUT it also goes AGAINST the precedent already set by the movie.

BTW - i could totally argue for a certian degree of mass-shifting - i just dont want to cuase ultimately i think its lame.

I agree with Hot Rod's agreeing with Hunter - who I think is right.

yanno, i still can't figure out why anybody gives a flying Powerglide. so some robots mass shift, some don't, big deal.

even in current transformers cartoons mass shifting happens (minicons and their alt modes). so really, why does it matter? it's a bit rediculous to claim your movie will be more in touch with reality, ect... when it's a movie about Powerglideing huge robots from outerspace. also, if frenzy is what we get for espionage, i'd much rather have mass shifting as frenzy looks RETARDED.

mass shifting or not the movie should be great. as for sequels... well i dunno. it'd have deffinatly pissed me off if they didn't change it from kenny-wave to frenzy, as for blackout well, i can see that as being ok for soundwave. blackout is very much espionage and stealth orientated, and thats all i care about, so long as he remains espionage and stealth orientated. when they announced that soundwave was going to be a heli, everybody went bat-Blot because you don't expect a heli to be stealthy. i also remember battle heli being thrown around which is DEFFINATLY not stealthy.

yanno, i still can't figure out why anybody gives a flying Powerglide. so some robots mass shift, some don't, big deal.

I give a flying Powerglide because when it has been used in the franchise thus far, it's been used in the most aribitrary, and least useful ways it could be used. Which makes for bad storytelling.

I'm not trying to argue the realism of the technology or anything...they're transforming alien robots, they could have mass shifting technology, I get that...I'm arguing the things they use the technology for. That's the real problem with mass shifting, IMO. So, the question becomes, "if you want to see Mass Shifting happen, what's a good reason to use it?"

If there's not a reason to use it besides "the cartoon did" then it needs to be killed and buried.

I think Hobbes wrapped this topic up nicely.

Once again, if the Mass-shifters cant think of anything other than "i like toys from the 70s" to support their need for Mass shifting - then its really a non-issue.

I give a flying Powerglide because when it has been used in the franchise thus far, it's been used in the most aribitrary, and least useful ways it could be used. Which makes for bad storytelling.

I'm not trying to argue the realism of the technology or anything...they're transforming alien robots, they could have mass shifting technology, I get that...I'm arguing the things they use the technology for. That's the real problem with mass shifting, IMO. So, the question becomes, "if you want to see Mass Shifting happen, what's a good reason to use it?"

If there's not a reason to use it besides "the cartoon did" then it needs to be killed and buried.

Agreed Hobbes.

Unless they can explain in story why and how a space shuttle or a 747 could reshape itself into a smaller secondary alt. mode, or why a 30 ft. tall robot would want to become a non-mobile, small electronic device - then cool, it could work.

I think it's a cop-out to say "the premise of Transformers isn't based in reality so therefore who cares about mass shifting". I see that argument all the time whenever someone brings up some dumb idea that's found its way into a given property. The excuse is always the same. "Well it's not real duh so that means any unrealistic thing is okay." No it doesn't mean that.

And let's not forget that mass shifting is a RETCON.

They're fecking toys, jeebus, of course they're not always going to be to scale with each other. Or would you prefer every jetformer to be a Supreme class and every carformer to be a basic?

Archived