Have Toy Safty Advocates gone to far?

skullfire

I have two brief points to add

#1. "Would you leave your kid unsupervised in a park? Probably not b/c all shorts of problems can occur." I work in a toy store, I can very confidently state that many parents probably would leave their children alone in the park. I have at least 10 occurences a day with a parent dropping there kids of in my store to continue shopping alone.

#2. I think companies in general think that these interest groups are far more powerful and bigger than they actually are. In truth, most of the people in these groups would never be affected by the products that they are against, because they wouldn't purchase said product in the first place.

BTW: Give me the 'BEE

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all of these child safty laws in america and the lack of most of the same laws in Japan often makes me wonder if Japanese kids are just smarter than american kids. I mean come on, unless i'm mistaken, in Japan kids aren't getting hurt playing with shorter Missiles and longer smoke stacks on their Transformers.

Are Children in America just dumber than in the rest of the world? Or is it that their Parents are too lazy to use common sense when buying them toys. Instead of them using there Brains when instilling Knowledge of safety, they instead find the nearest scapegoat i.e. the toy companies or T.V. shows and blame them for their own lack of intellegence when it comes to their Children getting hurt .

They blame these companys for making defective or dangerous toys. When in reality it is themselves that are defective.

These people that get the laws changed to make toys supposedly safer are only doing it because they want to control every thing. It helps make them feel safer. If they can make things go there way and screw everybody else, then they are happy. I have seen this all of my life and i'm sick of it.

If I ranted I'm sorry, Like I said I'm sick of this B.S. And I feel Strongly about it.

With all of these child safty laws in america and the lack of most of the same laws in Japan often makes me wonder if Japanese kids are just smarter than american kids. I mean come on, unless i'm mistaken, in Japan kids aren't getting hurt playing with shorter Missiles and longer smoke stacks on their Transformers.

Are Children in America just dumber than in the rest of the world? Or is it that their Parents are too lazy to use common sense when buying them toys. Instead of them using there Brains when instilling Knowledge of safety, they instead find the nearest scapegoat i.e. the toy companies or T.V. shows and blame them for their own lack of intellegence when it comes to their Children getting hurt .

They blame these companys for making defective or dangerous toys. When in reality it is themselves that are defective.

These people that get the laws changed to make toys supposedly safer are only doing it because they want to control every thing. It helps make them feel safer. If they can make things go there way and screw everybody else, then they are happy. I have seen this all of my life and i'm sick of it.

If I ranted I'm sorry, Like I said I'm sick of this B.S. And I feel Strongly about it.

You know I was about ready to let this thread go. It seemed that most everybody was happy with the way things are.

Now I see that some TransFans do understand what this thread is about.

I like what Vorlonshadowdragon had said and find that he said it best.

The interesting point that was made (and something I've stated before) is that Japanese kids have the "good" transformers (full smoke stacks and small missiles ect... and a good divebomb) and American kids don't.

Japanese kids are not getting hurt by transformers but these TSAG's in America don't seem to care about that.

Is it control?! Is that what these groups want?!

I don't get it? If it's good for Japan why is it not good for America.

The Japanese kids and American kids example is the all telling sign that something is not right with this picture here in America.

Thanks Vorlonshadowdragon for the good post!! :clap

It was not a rant it was what we needed to see on this thread

It is nice to see that some one caught on to my statments on Japanese kids and transformers! :thumb

When I'm at work, I see countless number of parents paying absolutly no attention to their children.

I have 4 rules reguarding people, these are from observation and please don't take any offense

Rule #1) People are stupit

Rule #2) The least deserving people are always rewarded

Rule #3) People must have a leader, even though its most often the least compantent

Rule #4) People only serve their own self intrests

Now there are persons who are kind, intellegent, respectful, and rarely get any thing they deserve due to the aformention people (which these watch dog groups are made of).

You know I was about ready to let this thread go. It seemed that most everybody was happy with the way things are.

Now I see that some TransFans do understand what this thread is about.

I like what Vorlonshadowdragon had said and find that he said it best.

The interesting point that was made (and something I've stated before) is that Japanese kids have the "good" transformers (full smoke stacks and small missiles ect... and a good divebomb) and American kids don't.

Japanese kids are not getting hurt by transformers but these TSAG's in America don't seem to care about that.

Is it control?! Is that what these groups want?!

I don't get it? If it's good for Japan why is it not good for America.

The Japanese kids and American kids example is the all telling sign that something is not right with this picture here in America.

Thanks Vorlonshadowdragon for the good post!! :clap

It was not a rant it was what we needed to see on this thread

It is nice to see that some one caught on to my statments on Japanese kids and transformers! :thumb

you both talking like you have facts in front of you showing you how many japanese kids get injured. You dont.

END OF THREAD

Is it me, or can't we as a people move without some little group of parents ruining it for the rest of us? Now, the Toy Safety Action Group may have a point, what with campaining to make toys safer, but but surely they're missing the point - if you think a toy is not safe, DON'T BUY IT!!! Isn't what they're doing taking away one of the basic principles of the Constitution (freedom of choice) ?

This whole toy debacle reminds me of the Parent's Television Council / Commitee / whatever the hell they were called. Remember them, folks? Anyway, my ultimate point is this - it is not up to toys, television, video games, et al to nursemaid our collective children. It is up to the parents to educate them in what's right and wrong, and help them differentiate from the fantasy of TV, films and videogames, and the reality that's outside of their houses!!

Sorry folks, if I'm getting on my soapbox. But this kind of thing really gets me severely peeved, and I'll leave you with this thought -

Although the TSAG may have the best intentions, some of the worst things imaginable in human history have been done, "with the best intentions"

Oh, and on the subject of alternators, why aren't any of them aircraft?

" Isn't what they're doing taking away one of the basic principles of the Constitution (freedom of choice) ?"

"This whole toy debacle reminds me of the Parent's Television Council / Commitee / whatever the hell they were called. Remember them, folks? Anyway, my ultimate point is this - it is not up to toys, television, video games, et al to nursemaid our collective children. It is up to the parents to educate them in what's right and wrong, and help them differentiate from the fantasy of TV, films and videogames, and the reality that's outside of their houses!!"

"Although the TSAG may have the best intentions, some of the worst things imaginable in human history have been done, "with the best intentions""

Great points Unclejoe420! :clap :clap :clap

Don't worry about getting on a soapbox about the subject of TSAG's; that's what this thread is all about.

I forgot about those TV/ Music watchdogs. In the States they were called the PMRC.

These guys spent millions of our tax dollars on finding out ways to control music and content of the lyrics of what they did not like. This of course was a great volation of the Constitution, but nobody questioned it. NO body!

The result is that the music industry has been regulated to putting advisery lables on the albums about the lyrics.

The point here is that a parent watchdog group has actually made it into the Capital for the main purpose of limiting our choices to supposively protect kids.

This is not right, PERIOD!!!!

Now I keep brining up the Grand Theft Auto example and no body has commented on it.?!!

I know I'm using a video game as an example but TSAG's want to see people go to jail for selling an M rated game to anybody under the age of 18!!! :eek :eek :wtf

For just a group of loud moms they have some pretty sick ideas, inhuman ideas of how to protect their kids!!! Their rights are violating someone elses rights. :tdown :redface :redface

These are the same groups that are forcing Hasbro to place limitations on their product. TSAG's are limiting Hasbro's right to choose how they are going to create a transformer. Unfortunatly from what I have been reading on the toy reviews quality is starting to sag in favor of adjusting to TSAG's unrealistic demands.

"THE ROAD TO HELL IS PAVED WITH GOOD INTENTIONS" :redface :tdown

you both talking like you have facts in front of you showing you how many japanese kids get injured. You dont.

So I guess that Japan has many injured kids daily due to playing with a transformer made for that country and Japans parents just don't care and we don't get to hear about it; is that right??

Sorry for the ribbing here.

But, what most of us are seeing here (if its facts you are looking for)is the obvious:

The Transformers in Japan are significantly different then what we see here in America. And what we see here in America is sometimes very disappointing. Example being that there is absolutly no logical reason that 20th Primes smokestacks should be stubby.

It is weird that there is a better version of what we have here in the States being produced for some where else (like Japan) and getting access to it is very difficult (abate Ebay). What is very frustrating to an American is to find out that this weird situation exists because of some form of legislature is behind regulation created by fellow Americans like TSAG. This country of ours was formed on the idea that there is freedom here and that Americans are free. It's the idea not always the rule.

Now parents are asking government to regulate what choices we have in buying products in a country founded on the principles of less government invalved in peoples lives.

I think you get the idea.

Maybe this thread is focusing in on an American issue. Maybe it is "End Thread" for some people but for Americans this thing with TSAG's does hit a major chord.

You are always free to post on this thread.

While you may not agree, please understand this is an important issue for others to discuss, vent or other wise express themselves.:wave

I agree with everything said. I can't agree the state of the country these days. Everyone's so free, no one's free anymore. People don't take responsibility for anything. Check this out:

People over 30 should be dead by now!

>Here's why

>

>

>

>

>According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids

>in the 40's, 50's, 60's, or even maybe the early 70's probably shouldn't

>have survived.

>

>Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint.

>

>We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets, . and when

>we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. (Not to mention the risks we took

>hitchhiking.)

>

>As children, we would ride in cars with no seatbelts or air bags.

>

>Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special

>treat.

>

>We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

>

>Horrors!

>

>We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but

>we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

>

>We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one

>actually died from this.

>

>We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down

>the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.

>

>After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

>

>We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back

>when the street lights came on.

>

>No one was able to reach us all day.

>

>NO CELL PHONES!!!!!

>

>Unthinkable!

>

>We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no video games at all,

>no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell

>phones, personal computers, or Internet chat rooms.

>

>We had friends!

>

>We went outside and found them.

>

>We played dodge ball, and sometimes, the ball would really hurt.

>

>We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no

>lawsuits from these accidents.

>

>They were accidents.

>

>No one was to blame but us.

>

>Remember accidents?

>

>We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to

>get over it.

>

>We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms, and although we

>were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the

>worms live inside us forever.

>

>We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rang

>the bell or just walked in and talked to them.

>

>Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.

>

>Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

>

>Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were

>held back to repeat the same grade.

>

>Horrors!

>

>Tests were not adjusted for any reason.

>

>Our actions were our own.

>

>Consequences were expected.

>

>The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of.

>

>They actually sided with the law.

>

>Imagine that!

>

>This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem

>solvers and inventors, ever.

>

>The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

>

>We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to

>deal with it all.

uh...safty? or safety?

Archived