Casting questions

gargunkle

Hey all. In a dig through some old toy boxes in the attic, I have found an interesting item I had mostly forgotten about. It is a KO vehicle Voltron. The figure itself is not that good, but it has a pretty nice, rather big sword. I would like to use it in Brave Max's hand, but the sword hilt is a different shape (sort of a flat octagon). I considered trying to cast some extra copies of this sword. I could give it to figures like Scorponok, etc.

First question... how hard is casting? How expensive?

Second... how easy would it be to make little changes (such as shaping the hilt differently)?

Thanks for any tips/pointers.

To do it right, you need to buy about $300-400 worth of stuff, including the silicone, the plastic, the dyes, a large glass surgical syringe, a compressor, a hot plate, and a pressure pot (which will need to be modified). Also keep in mind that it is very time consuming and for the first monthish you will ruin half of the stuff you make.

Big molds like that sword require a lot of silicone, which sucks.

Hey there - really like your custom parts. Thank you for the input on this. Guess I will be just keeping the one sword then.

Don't suppose you would want to cast it and sell it as a replacement Fort Max sword? Figure no, but doesn't hurt to ask.

• 2 weeks later...

well actually the most expensive part would be to make the mold.... the copies would be around 1.00 to 5.00 to do.... if you want a good product for resin and sillicone mold i suggest smooth-on products.... you,ll find everything that you need....

The only problem I can see for this particular item is that the mold box would have to be specially built due to it's size, and that it would not fit into the pressure pot. I have a pretty large one, and even laying on it's side this would not fit flat. Without being able to pressurize the silicone, you can't garauntee that the part would turn out pristine. Also, the chrome finish might or might not be damaged by the silcone due to the high alcohol content.

Archived